IGNORED

The Red Baron Lives!

simbalion

I followed a little hunch yesterday while checking things out on my Red Baron cockpit. I remembered buying two Atari Audio/Regulator boards a couple years back for $10 apiece and one had two extra connections on it like one of the twin boards being used in my currently dead Pole Position II. Well, turns out those extra connections are used in my Red Baron, so I swapped the spare board in and the game came to life! After cleaning all the connectors again as well as cleaning and adjusting the brightness and contrast pots on the CRT, I now have a mostly stable, working vector arcade game! This game is a lot of fun! Sorry for the quality of the photos, I have a hard time getting pictures of working monitors, but they do show a working unit. :) I will get a recap done on the monitor in the near future.

post-8339-0-75350000-1403297003_thumb.jpg

post-8339-0-91386400-1403297086_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I will definitely have to look into having the monitor recapped. It threw a fit again this evening, though I finally coaxed it into working again. Also, I should probably get the ARII boards I have rebuilt as well. I was reading about something called a 'sense mod' for the ARII boards that are supposed to make them safer for the PCB boards. Anyone here hear of this mod?

I was reading about something called a 'sense mod' for the ARII boards that are supposed to make them safer for the PCB boards. Anyone here hear of this mod?

The sense mod is a sloppy hack for people too lazy to fix the real problem. Think of it as putting in a piece of wire to replace a fuse that keeps blowing instead fixing the root cause. In this case you probably need to repin the edge connector.

Mitch