IGNORED

Fight for Life - 2014: The Poll of Truth

NeoGeoNinja

Feelings regarding Fight for Life in 2014  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like, enjoy and/or 'rate' Fight for Life?

• Yes - I think it's a worthy addition to the Jag library and solid 3D fighter, in it's own right!
    • No - I think it's utter gash; probably the worst 3D fighter I have ever played and a TRUE black mark against the Jaguar's reputation

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I know... I know. It's the old "flogging a dead horse" syndrome. But, FFL is special 'one off' kind of horse though. There's nothing else like it on the Jaguar; the last commercial release for the system also happens to be the ONLY 3D fighter for the system. It's unique.

The Jaguar is over 20 now(!) so, it's a given really that certain subjects will rear their <insert appropriate adjective here> heads from time to time.

I did a forum search on "Fight for Life" and it only turned up a handful of dedicated topics/threads dating back to 2003. The last of which can be found/read here:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/205891-a-question-regarding-the-game-fight-for-life/?hl=%20fight%20%20for%20%20life

However, NEVER before has there been a poll on the subject, that is: do you actually, honestly, think Fight for Life is actually any good? - simple yay or nay.

Polls are also much easier for those who regularly lurk who don't really want/can't really be bothered partaking in forum posting etc. Just a quick and dirty in and out (oo-er!)

Feel free to post and elaborate on how and why you made your vote.

I'll go first, shall I?

-

I voted 'No'.

Basically, I have always had a thing for the Jaguar. I had one when I was an early teen, just before the likes of the PS1 & Saturn dug their heels in the UK market. Today, I'm still very fond of my Jaguar.

Also, fighting games are - without doubt - my absolute passion in gaming. I love many different gaming genres, but fighters have always been the absolute standout for me. More obviously (re: username), SNK and NeoGeo fighters. However, I love fighters of all kinds - 2D, 3D and of varying quality - production, gameplay, design and otherwise. Hell, I'm even one of those people who will defend Delphine's Shaq Fu as categorically NOT the worst fighting game ever. As always, I feel if more people actually paid more attention to the genre, played more fighting games and actually educated themselves, they would share a similar view on that subject. But, I digress.

Seemingly, a combination of my undying love for the fighting game genre and a fondness for the Atari Jaguar, do not a good combined outcome make.

Certainly, there are a lot of fighters for the Jaguar that are oft considered mediocre or just plain bad, and whilst I am inclined to agree with that opinion, I still feel that I can STILL extract enjoyment from them. Well, apart from Double Dragon V. Having said that, given the open choice, I would ALWAYS choose to play Double Dragon over Fight for Life.

I'm afraid, Fight for Life, whilst potentially (honestly) not T H E worst fighting game I have ever played in my entire life (I've played and own a shitload of fighters, btw), I would most probably say that it is, in actual FACT, the WORST 3D fighting game I have ever played and owned.

Whilst it's not completely without some positive features (decent gfx, ok music, interesting move stealing mechanic, reasonable story line), the negatives, far, FAR outweigh any positives here.

The inability to earn 'good' endings with any character of your choosing is also lazy and inexcusable. But the LEAST of this games problems.

Utter gash, I'm afraid.

-

What's your current/long standing opinion?

Edited by NeoGeoNinja

I have said it before and I'll say it again: It is by far the worst 3D fighting game ever made. Devs of bad fighting games have held their head up for almost 20 years now, because whatever crap they put together, they could at least say they did better than FFL.

It is a quinessental factor in the Jaguar's bad rep. People start by laughing at Kasumi Ninja, and then they think "okay, that's a famous stinker, but not as terrible as I thought. If I look further there are probably decent fighters if this is called terrible!". And when they do look further and play FFL... they understand while being the target of ridicule, KM is actually the cream of the crop. Many never recover, their faith in humanity destroyed.

A Jaguar with FFL... the ultimate torture device for the modern age. :P

• Like 1

As usual I wish there was a middle/grey area option (i.e., "it has some good qualities and had potential, but the gameplay falls flat on its face"), so I picked "No."

No Austin.

It's these sorts of sentiments and indecisive qualities that end in unhappy marriages and eventually, divorce ;)

Either say "you do" or "I'm sorry, no" :thumbsup:

I can't say no beause I've had the opportunity to play the beta version and that forever changed my view on it. The game is tediously slow but the programmer said this was done intentionally - probably so people could actually learn the moves and it would require more skill than just bashing away your opponent in just under a minute. This is however contradicted by the Beta version, as it is just that - A much more fast-paced game and more fun as a result. So much so, that when the topic arose on JS-II, a limited cart release of it was made.

A few snippets from a recent e-mail convo (2012) with the programmer:

"Clint: 1. The early version of FFL seems slightly faster both speedwise and the length of fights are concerned. Do you remember why the final version was changed to make the rounds last so long? The early builds seems more enjoyable due to the speed of the game and quicker rounds.

Bertrand: 1. First, our engineers had the same arguments, mainly because they were terrible at the game and that was the only way they could win. Second, the marketing team saw that as a flaw and figured it would be more enjoyable to play long rounds. They also whopped the engineers pretty epically during a gaming tournament.

Clint: 4. Why was the pentagram ultimately removed from the game at the very end? I felt it was one of the things that gave it an edge and then suddenly the game got the PG treatment.

Bertrand: 4. One of the testers was Pentecostal. Ironic kinda. Heh."

As usual I wish there was a middle/grey area option (i.e., "it has some good qualities and had potential, but the gameplay falls flat on its face"), so I picked "No."

I agree. FFL is more playable than Checkered Flag at least. I liked the idea of being able to absorb special moves of your defeated opponents, which was unique at the time. The storyline of fighting for your life was a cool concept as well. Some good ideas.

• Like 1

I do not like the game, but I don't think it was that far off the mark from being an average forgettable 3D fighter. I think with some few tweaks to the pacing, among some other small improvements here and there, it would've been a decent game. I don't really like the move acquisition system, I'd rather you start with whatever moves you're supposed to have from the beginning.

HOWEVER, tbh I'm not really a die-hard fighting game enthusiast. Give me Mortal Kombat 2 and Virtua Fighter1, and I don't feel compelled to keep looking for more (I know, blasphemy to other franchise fans like Street Fighter .etc).

A few snippets from a recent e-mail convo (2012) with the programmer:

That's interesting you were able to get in touch with bertrand and he still remembers the game after all this time. Since the source code is still available... and the game really only needs a few tweaks to the pacing to make it substantially more enjoyable (imo)... kickstarter :P

• Like 2

That's interesting you were able to get in touch with bertrand and he still remembers the game after all this time. Since the source code is still available... and the game really only needs a few tweaks to the pacing to make it substantially more enjoyable (imo)... kickstarter :P

Yeah, has anyone even been able to successfully compile the source? I thought it was missing some important pieces? Not sure why a sequel of sorts couldn't be done, honestly.. with all moves unlocked from the get go.

Well I was a die-hard Jaguar fan to the end and I didn't have any other system at the time... Although I played Virtua Fighter on a friend's Saturn, I felt that I had a "similar" game in hands and was happy to have a 3-D fighter at all.

In my eyes it is a little slow, but very playable. It recognizes the commands you give and that is what counts.

Of course there are better games on other systems and have been back in the days... but I still like and play it today!

Edited by Atari_Falcon
  • Like 3

I also wish there were a middle-view choice. I think it was mediocre; certainly not the best fighter, but not as awful as some make it out to be.

Middle choices were deliberately omitted, because given that choice, most people would opt for it ;)

I think my description of "Yes" is quite a fair, realistic middle-top ground choice i.e. worthwhile addition... solid effort at a 3D fighter, unless of course you completely disagree, and think it's neither?

Based on your post, I'd have you down as a "Yes", personally :)

• 5 months later...

Fair enough. As much as I think FFL is terrible, I still, however, think it's a better fighting game than ROTR.

If we are going to count 2d games, i doubt Fight for Life is worst than the Sega Genesis port of Time Killers. at least FFL has ok graphics and sound given the console it runs on. I have only seen videos of FFL, and i think i have seen a bunch of worse fighting games for PC from the late 80s, early 90s, and also for 8 bit systems.

As for 3d fighters, is it really worst than Criticom and Fist for the Sega Saturn?, i havent played Fight for Life, but i think its worth making it part of the Jag collection at least as a tech demo, hehe.