IGNORED

Atari 800 - Best Game Pack : Releases

starwindz

A) This is awesome. Great work. I love being able to flip through the games and see the screenshots for stuff I had forgotten or whose name I couldn't remember.

B) I am curious what is the difference between a "cheat version" of a game and the real version? I'd like to know how to identify that within my own archives.

Thank you.

The version of Millipede as supplied, has been modified to have unlimited lives. Please let's make sure we don't provide badly hacked versions of games, and try to stay with the games as released (unless the trainer is visible and options can be toggled)

-Thom

Yep, the whole plan has been that I go through all the titles and weed out hacks (not choice trainers), configure titles that are euro to 50Hz and plainly test the whole lot, sadly as people know my daughter is extremely unwell in hospital and has been there a long time so all my free time has been based around her. Also poor old Starwindz has been all over the world and not home in South Korea so work sort of stopped due to the pair of us being busy BUT, its not finished, Starwindz is preparing to get back into it and I'm going to get some free time and it WILL be tested and sorted :)

I know we keep saying this but we will be back on board asap...But yes, the whole set needs to be checked, normally its myself or Starwindz that add the titles but as we happily take requests and suggestions from others it can happen that a hack slips in which isn't a problem as long as its replaced with a proper version.

And yes the NTSC Hires stuff WILL be added..

A) This is awesome. Great work. I love being able to flip through the games and see the screenshots for stuff I had forgotten or whose name I couldn't remember.

B) I am curious what is the difference between a "cheat version" of a game and the real version? I'd like to know how to identify that within my own archives.

Thank you.

Yes to A, I often go through Mark Hardnman wonderful gamebase for the 8 bit and just look at the screen shots incase it triggers a memory. And incase you wonder what the difference in game bases are, Marks is a full on attempt to add ALL atari 8bit games while our Gamepack is a 'best of' as voted by us and you guys.

As for cheat versions, these come in 2 versions, the first is a hack where normally the amount of lives you have is made to never go down, the hacks don't give you a choice in playing it normally and then there's the trainer menu versions where you DO get a choice of various cheats so the game can be played either way.

Sadly the hacks are hard to spot because it needs you to sit and play all your games and see if you die or lose lives etc..

Those versions will be removed from the game pack and replaced with either normal versions or a trainer choice, the temptation is to just have normal versions so that people play the game properly but its up to you guys if you want a choce of trainer menu versions?

Righty, I've now started to do the complete image check to weed out incorrect settings, bad versions and hacks, I'll also supply Starwindz with any new versions or the wanted Hires stuff for NTSC users..

Game Name Fix Need

180 Set to PAL

Alien Swarm Hacked Remove it from set

Android Attack Enable Basic

Astro - Droid Swap for supplied ATR

Aztec Swap for supplied ATR

Next batch, asap..

Remember I'm sitting and playing every game for a bit so its not a 2 second job :)

Starwindz, here's the needed files for replacement...

Downloads.rar

• Like 1

The development would be resumed again in this weekend. Today I am going to re-install all development tools and data for the stable development environment, and I have to read all posts in this topic again since the last update released.

Edited by starwindz
  • Like 3

The versions of software on this page:

http://www.atarimania.com/atari-vapi.html

Should be considered canonical, as they are dumps of the original disks, with copy protection retained. These VAPI driven disks can be read either by Atari800Win or Altirra, and represent non-cracked, working versions of the games listed.

-Thom

Small update, I'm still doing the one by one test but I got to a game called Balz, everything seemed fine and then 4hrs later I was in agony from my arthritis in my neck, that one game hooked me for 4hrs, once my pain goes I'll get back to the test :)

Thanks for the heads up on Topper, I'll weed it out as part of the test.

Vapi's / Pro images have pluses and minuses, normally I'd expect the Vapi image to be as close as possible to the original but unless certain SIO command lines have been set up then it will either not boot or boot with the copy protection activated leading to all sorts of wrong. There's also lots of Vapi's out there that are rogue, I've even found cracked game versions (what made a person create that?). What I'll do is go through the list getting rid of hacks and making fixes and then once that is done I'll go through the Atarimania list of VAPI's and create a list for Starwindz with all the needed commands set to replace them if people want them, I say that because some people like a trained option version.

And on that note what do people think about having trainer menu versions in the game pack, too much of a pull to the dark side or have we got better will power?

Still going...Its a slow old process so if there's anything you need to do Starwindz then carry on.

Just about to hit the D's...

Yes. I will clean up a lot of useless and test code in the source code of game pack. Also I will take a look at the new features of Altirra 2.6.0 for new implementation of the next game pack.

Sorry, had a terrible time around my daughter regarding suicide etc so I'll be dealing with items based upon priority at the moment..

Sorry to be like this but that is how it must be at this second...

Paul, who feels like the worst dad in the world at the moment..

• Like 1

Sorry, had a terrible time around my daughter regarding suicide etc so I'll be dealing with items based upon priority at the moment..

Sorry to be like this but that is how it must be at this second...

Paul, who feels like the worst dad in the world at the moment..

I'm really sorry about what has happened. I can't imagine how you must feel right now and I don't know what to say. I am just praying to God now for you and your family from here Korea.

Thank you,

Yesterday was very traumatic, I was just just so upset when I typed the above but the reality is that I don't have any control of the situation so I'll still be working on the gamepack as I really need to have something to occupy my time and take my mind off things but when my daughter needs my time she will get it.

Back on the gamepack, not going as fast as I'd like because there are so many alternate versions of games in the zips, deffo need to weed them out to un-confuse the player and shrink the DB down, ideal issue is one of every title only.

Unfortunately there's been X number of some games added when the difference is actually a few bytes on the disk and in most cases exactly the same crack by via a different loader or hacked adjustments to the loader that make no difference..

I'll most likely do a quick restart and ask Starwindz to remove all but one version that I choose., as I'm not that far in it won't take long...

So far found some real howlers and one that needs me to design a script of sorts to make it instantly open to the player.

See, told you its not a five minute job but it really is needed :)

Once its done I'll vet the suggested content so to make sure its not pretrained or faulty, its so easy to add a bad version simply by accident...

Just to make it clear, you will see in a lot of the titles V3, V4, V5 etc, you need to understand that the V's etc isn't a different version of the game, its simply a different version of the disk that went around at the time that does not match the same MD5 or CRC so its given a different version number, the game in 99.9999999% is exactly the same version of the game hence we really should remove the numerous different v versions of the games in the zips, they merely confuse the person playing thinking that the latest V version is the best version when it may not be and could be for the most parts exactly the same as other version bar a few bytes with the actual game EXACTLY the same..

Edited by Mclaneinc

• 1 month later...

Disaster...

Despite my silence I've been working on the gampack, not as much as I'd have liked but my daughter is just in the final stages of leaving hospital after months in there so its been rather busy, but yesterday disaster stuck, I had a HD crash and after the repair the XLSL file was gone, tried a recover but every bit of software failed to find it. I would not mind but I'd just finished the T's so was pretty near done. I had a sudden flash of inspiration, I thought that MS Office normally keeps a temp saved version but when I ran MS Office I got a message saying the software wasn't able to be ran by this user, I researched this and found that after recent updates others were suffering the same problem.

So now I'm rather stuffed, I don't want to hold up the gamepack any more as I'll have to restart the one by one from fresh so I'm suggesting that any proposed additions that people wanted get added and anything Starwindz has updated gets released and I'll start afresh on the new version rather than have it held back.

The last 10 months have been pretty horrible with my daughters illness but to also have all the work on the gampack just get lost in 2 quirks of fate is soul destroying, the ganepack has been my 'sanity' with all the hospital stuff going on so to see it screwed really annoys with the additional fact that the backed up version also has gone.

Feeling ever so slightly cursed, apologies to Starwindz and all who follow the gamepack, I feel terrible but this man is not for quitting...

Edited by Mclaneinc