IGNORED

Atari 800 - Best Game Pack : Releases

starwindz

• 1 month later...

Hi Thom, the actual release in the download link

http://atari800.tistory.com/category/Download

is the full 1.2 beta 3 last release..

There were so many little changes that the self update feature was bypassed just to make a full version which sadly became the final (for now)

As said the link on the Gamepack download page is the full non upgrade needed version with no merging, basically it replaces the whole thing and that's the link you see above..

Paul.

If you get a games that are in the pack but it says they are missing then its one of two things, 1. there are some games which Starwindz didn't link to but 2. on one of the internal updates the ini file that links to the games could have got corrupted, it seems random, if you know the games are in the game file and it says missing the go in to the gamepack folder and in to the INI folder while its not running and either delete or move the file called baseinfoall.ini and re run the gamepack, it will rescan and recreate that file which fixes most of the minor issues some people have had.

Sadly I never got the chance to fully do a full check by me on what files had been added and some bogus entries got in ie games with trainers always on and some duff files along with internal mistakes in how the game should be loaded. That's my fault as we took suggestions for games and Starwindz shoe horned them in before I could test them all because I'd said I would do a full check a little later..Which sadly didn't happen..

It will one day I hope....

Paul.

Edited by Mclaneinc

Is it me or is the link to download this via the Google share dead? I get a 'the file you requested does not exist' error.

Ugh...Seems you are right, the bad news is that I don't personally have the file nor did I put it up, Starwindz did that. My personal version of the gamepack is hacked about from where I was working on an update and would not be suitable to share as parts don't work 100%. I'll try and contact Starwindz to ask him to re-up the file, at present I know he's very busy.

Thanks for spotting that..

Ugh...Seems you are right, the bad news is that I don't personally have the file nor did I put it up, Starwindz did that. My personal version of the gamepack is hacked about from where I was working on an update and would not be suitable to share as parts don't work 100%. I'll try and contact Starwindz to ask him to re-up the file, at present I know he's very busy.

Thanks for spotting that..

The other day when you posted the link to the archive, I downloaded it, so tell me if you want it sent to you or a place to send it.

Thank you for the kind offer, the only problem is that I have no way to host it that I know of, if there's a way I could provide a non financially based link then I'm open to idea's, ie do you have to pay for that google link that was being used by Starwindz (can't ask him as he's somewhere in the world up to his eyes in work). In the meantime could you please hold on to the file until something has been found.

Thank you

Paul..

Please excuse my ignorance / blunder exposed in a reply to tschak909 where he asked if an all in one non upgraded pack could be made available and I replied "it was all in the 1.2 beta 3 pack". THAT IS NOT THE CASE so my apologies to tschak909, I'd taken it off the top of my head that it was all in there in the last beta but as I found out after downloading the reupdated Link supplied by Starwindz today that you do need both that and the 1.10 file to have the full set.....

My apologies to anyone that I've confused...Its so long since I have done anything that way that I just answered by default without a check.

So yes it would be nice to have a full all in one file BUT the update does go over the top of the first version with no issues or requests to over write stuff, its all new bit. The point about the baseinfoall.ini file IS correct and will fix a few of the so called missing files if you come across any.

Sorry, 3-4 years of constant high stress and illness finally getting to me :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, glad you like the pack from Starwindz and some work by myself, the initial releases tended to have multiple versions and were added by Starwindz himself before I started my end of the work, I believe he added multiples just in case another one didn't work. As for the versions, ignore the numbers for 99.9999% of things, it simply means that multiple versions have been dumped and have been given a version number to show its a little different in CRC ie cracked by someone else, maybe a trained version, it does NOT suggest a higher number means a better version of the game. The problem is that before my family life dropped in to hellish proportions with my daughters health I had been eliminating as had other forum members bad versions of the games. Sadly items got added as requests and I checked them as best as possible but lots got added and I agreed to sit down and go through the whole pack and weed out all the mistakes, but things happened for me and Starwindz (his real world work load got HUGE) and this never happened.

Maybe one day it will....

As for other packs, yes indeed there are, normally they go under the name of Gamebases because of the software used (created by James Burrows) to make the Gamebase and there's Gamebases of 100's of types done by lots of very enthusiastic folk. There's a wonderful Atari one done by Mark Hardnman, its a collection of as many games as he could find to add where as our gamepack is just a 'best of' but yes there 2600, 5200 and 7800 Gamebases.

Here's a link to a couple of places that can help

1st the Official Gamebase forum.

http://www.gb64.com/forum/index.php?sid=1dad6780e5f6b49e1de75f83023e5328

The last forum called other game base projects has a thread

http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4718

in here a really nice guy called Dax has become a archive keep of many gamebases and if you ask him for the password and link to any of those gamebases he will respond, DO NOT PM him about them, only use the thread. He normally responds in a day or two and will post the links and pass but he asks that people do not pass the links around as he hosts the space. Oh and one note, one gamebase depending on size (the 5200 and 7800 are very small so he might allow a couple) per week, just ask he's a great guy.

There's also the Offical Site which links to some gamebases as well.

http://www.bu22.com/

James Burrows who runs the site and created the softwa is a real nice guy and puts up links to active and sadly inactive gamebases, the only bit of extra software above the game base is

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gamebase/files/gamebase/v1.3/

The gamebase front end full setup.

Well that should get you started, if you get stuck then by all means ask me either here or by PM and I'll be happy to help.

If you use torrents then a lot of the gamebases can be found on them but always worth looking at the official forum to see what is the most recent version.

Paul.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Unfortunately the gampepack is no longer being updated due to the author and myself having zero time or in my case health issues.

Sorry about that but I'm pretty sure Hazard run is in Marks gamebase that I mentioned in my other post.

I hope you get well soon.

How many hours you think one must invest to pick up this project? Just thinking if is something I could do (of course, if is allowed)

I hope you get well soon.

How many hours you think one must invest to pick up this project? Just thinking if is something I could do (of course, if is allowed)

Any proper permission would have to come from Starwindz in South Korea as he alone is responsible for the actual database, in updating it it would need a knowledge of the database, the gemu keys, the Atari Altirra command line and days upon days of testing all the files, linking the needed Altirra cli's and the patience of a saint :)..Oh and a very good knowledge of versions of the Atari computer and what the differences were in relation to gaming compatibility..

You are welcome to fiddle around with the database itself (back it up) I'm not sure what version of Office was used to create it but its before 2003, I used a stand alone viewer / editor but I've not had the info as to what all of Starwindz internal namings stand for, some you can work out, others not so easy.

Hence I called it a day because of my pain and my daughter, Starwindz is head of an engineering project and goes all over the world so he has no time either.

Paul

Edited by Mclaneinc

Hi, glad you like the pack from Starwindz and some work by myself, the initial releases tended to have multiple versions and were added by Starwindz himself before I started my end of the work, I believe he added multiples just in case another one didn't work. As for the versions, ignore the numbers for 99.9999% of things, it simply means that multiple versions have been dumped and have been given a version number to show its a little different in CRC ie cracked by someone else, maybe a trained version, it does NOT suggest a higher number means a better version of the game. The problem is that before my family life dropped in to hellish proportions with my daughters health I had been eliminating as had other forum members bad versions of the games. Sadly items got added as requests and I checked them as best as possible but lots got added and I agreed to sit down and go through the whole pack and weed out all the mistakes, but things happened for me and Starwindz (his real world work load got HUGE) and this never happened.

Maybe one day it will....

As for other packs, yes indeed there are, normally they go under the name of Gamebases because of the software used (created by James Burrows) to make the Gamebase and there's Gamebases of 100's of types done by lots of very enthusiastic folk. There's a wonderful Atari one done by Mark Hardnman, its a collection of as many games as he could find to add where as our gamepack is just a 'best of' but yes there 2600, 5200 and 7800 Gamebases.

Here's a link to a couple of places that can help

1st the Official Gamebase forum.

http://www.gb64.com/forum/index.php?sid=1dad6780e5f6b49e1de75f83023e5328

The last forum called other game base projects has a thread

http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4718

in here a really nice guy called Dax has become a archive keep of many gamebases and if you ask him for the password and link to any of those gamebases he will respond, DO NOT PM him about them, only use the thread. He normally responds in a day or two and will post the links and pass but he asks that people do not pass the links around as he hosts the space. Oh and one note, one gamebase depending on size (the 5200 and 7800 are very small so he might allow a couple) per week, just ask he's a great guy.

There's also the Offical Site which links to some gamebases as well.

http://www.bu22.com/

James Burrows who runs the site and created the softwa is a real nice guy and puts up links to active and sadly inactive gamebases, the only bit of extra software above the game base is

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gamebase/files/gamebase/v1.3/

The gamebase front end full setup.

Well that should get you started, if you get stuck then by all means ask me either here or by PM and I'll be happy to help.

If you use torrents then a lot of the gamebases can be found on them but always worth looking at the official forum to see what is the most recent version.

Paul.

First, I hope your daughter gets better. I know you did mentioned her health. I'm a father and I hope the best. Also your health, maybe 2017 will be better.

I like the links. I wasn't aware of this game base. I checked the source. It seems to be written in VB6. To get the source up and running can take some work. I haven't used VB6 in so long but it is possible to get it up an running in Windows 7

I mean, in case If I wanted to modify the code.

I think the bases are nice and they have a support forum. Which is nice. It is much nicer to have. I have a whole bunch of files but they are organized in folders, and it is so much easy like that.

Any proper permission would have to come from Starwindz in South Korea as he alone is responsible for the actual database, in updating it it would need a knowledge of the database, the gemu keys, the Atari Altirra command line and days upon days of testing all the files, linking the needed Altirra cli's and the patience of a saint :)..Oh and a very good knowledge of versions of the Atari computer and what the differences were in relation to gaming compatibility..

You are welcome to fiddle around with the database itself (back it up) I'm not sure what version of Office was used to create it but its before 2003, I used a stand alone viewer / editor but I've not had the info as to what all of Starwindz internal namings stand for, some you can work out, others not so easy.

Hence I called it a day because of my pain and my daughter, Starwindz is head of an engineering project and goes all over the world so he has no time either.

Paul

The work that you guys have done is amazing. Thank you again

I wonder if Starwindz have considered releasing the source code? That will be helpful. For example, I would like to add a few things.

Thanks

Re the gamepack written by Starwindz, I cannot answer for him but suggest you PM him via AtariAge but expect a delay in answer, he gets to go all over the world as part of his job and as the main guy in charge he's a very very busy guy.

Thank you for your kind words re my daughter, much appreciated.

Re the Gamebases, James aka Buzz is your man for tech questions, he's a nice bloke who has always been happy to answer questions but there's a technical thread on the official forum as well.

As for win 7, 99% of us use it happily to work on so I doubt you will have any issues, Win 7 X64 seems the dish of the day..

Any questions feel free to ask but things like the source code are beyond my remit.

Paul

• 1 month later...

As per the website, I downloaded 1.1.0, extracted it, and then downloaded and extracted 1.2.0 Beta 3 on top of it. When run a8.exe, however, I get a dialog inviting me to update to 1.1.5. I don't see any way around it and if I go ahead and let it attempt the update, it just "downloads" forever. What can I do to get past this and into the games list?

Never mind. Deleted the update folder. All good now.

Edited by pixelmischief

Ignore the internet update as you have done, to get a full set get BOTH downloads on the download page, the main and the update one then add the update to the main one, I think there one overwrite, perhaps not. That is now a full set, if you are still getting odd errors saying file not found the delete the baseall (or near file in the ini's dir and rerun the Gamepack, it will do NO harm and then you should be up to what it should be, there's some real missing files which if either myself or starwindz ever get back will fix, but that has for me taken a new back step because I was carrying a bag of shopping with my left hand and there was a feeling of two pops and my arm dropped a little, think its tendon damage and need to see the doctor asap.

Arm works but getting strong pain..

Paul..

Edited by Mclaneinc

• 2 weeks later...

So, I downloaded this and went to play it and the .exe file was gone. Went to replace it and Windows said it was a virus. Looked in my Windows Defender history and it quarantined it and provided this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/entry.aspx?name=Trojan%3aWin32%2fTulim.D!cl&threatid=2147706924&enterprise=0

Seems pretty serious. The forum admins might want to remove this thread until this is addressed.

-Todd

Wait one second....I'm grabbing the links myself and they have always been 100% fine so I'd be stunned if its the case that they have become virused...At this point I'd say its a false positive and I'd hope you rely on more than just windows defender for protection.

Once down and checked by me I'll edit the post.......Both myself and starwindz have always been totally thorough with checking as this gamepack has gone on a lot of systems...I'll report back in a min

EDIT:

I've fully checked all ways this can be downloaded and installed and all 3 ways show zero viruses, its also been uploaded on Google so I'd imagine they were scanned on initial upload as well. I initially thought it was a false positive but I'm running the Latest Windows Defender definitions and it never complained not did Malware Bytes or ZoneAlarm, all archives fine..

That for me leaves the ball or whatever it is on your machine which I hope is ok, I'd certainly give it a thorough check, I'm proud to say the gamepack is on lots of machines out there and we have never had the slightest issue with viruses etc.

And please, PM either me or Starwindz (I'm the more likely to respond) before asking for the thread to be removed, I'd imagine it sent a ripple of worry down many a spine..

I will go and grab another couple of virus checkers to make the likelihood of anything even more beyond doubt than it is..

Paul..

Last Edit....Installed AVG and scanned every thing, not a bleep...I think we can say the Gamepack is perfectly safe and I've gone the whole hog to show this..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1