IGNORED

Atari 800 - Best Game Pack : Releases

starwindz

On 1/29/2020 at 11:36 PM, ForAFewDollarsMore said:

First and foremost, as someone that has been working on a neat and tidy RetroPie build for eight months, this Atari 800 pack is exquisitely designed and maintained. Thanks to all involved for this accomplishment.

I figured I'd take a shot in the dark here, but is there anyway possible to take what is given to me in this package and output it into an Emulationstation playlist? I'd really like to scrape all of this artwork somehow utilizing the connections this software has made to all of the covers and screenshots.

You can probably do a dump of the database in gamepack/gamebase/gbc_v11/gbc_v11.mdb

You'll likely need mdbtools to access JET/MS Access DB files.

I did this a year or two ago and converted it to SQLite3. I was working on a Python rewrite so that it would be cross-platform, but that project stalled.

Some notes:

• Since filenames in DOS/Windows are basically case-insensitive, be aware that this may cause file access issues when your build is on an OS that is case-sensitive. I'm assuming your RetroPie is using Linux as underlying OS, so there.
  • There are 19 tables:
    1. Artists
    2. Config
    3. Developers
    4. Difficulty
    5. Extras
    6. Genres
    7. Languages
    8. Licenses
    9. Musicians
    10. PGenres
    11. Programmers
    12. Publishers
    13. Rarities
    14. ViewData
    15. ViewFilters
    16. Years
    17. Crackers
    18. Games
    19. Music
  • You can probably generate the needed EmulationStation playlist from these tables, especially the Extras table, where the Pathnames to the files are.

Hope this helps.

Edited by pusakat
Added info about Pathnames.

• 4 weeks later...

Remember to keep in mind that the project no longer has any maintainers, for various reasons both myself and Starwindz are no longer involved and as its was Starwindz project from outset I can't grant any handling of it although I have no issue with it but only Starwindz can give the official nod and he's pretty hard to contact.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Its not all atr's, there's xex's and bin files and some bas files iirc.

I don't thinks there's any cas images, we used a lot of atr's purely because of what came to hand. Its a long long since I checked all the games so can't remember all the formats we used.

The point was more to find proper working versions with no hacks.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2020 at 11:44 AM, TheRaven81 said:

Why are all the games in ATRs? I thought ATR was only for Floppy images/dumps?

What's wrong with ATRs? They are great for RespeQt or many other devices. They may be copied back to a real floppy so you can give it to a friend.

ATRs are great.

:)

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 9:00 PM, Kyle22 said:

What's wrong with ATRs? They are great for RespeQt or many other devices. They may be copied back to a real floppy so you can give it to a friend.

ATRs are great.

:)

I didn't mean it like anything was wrong with them. I was just curious about the format at the time. And between then and now I have learned my fair share of info about ATRs and other formats used for the A8 platform.

• Like 1

In the gamepack we used whatever the best method of supporting the game and thanks to Phaeron being an accommodating guy he added loads of command line switches, some for the gamepack and other frontends...

The hope was that we got the best version of the game, single load stuff were more suited to xex's for size and ease of load. Obviously full games were ATR's, don't think we used and ATX's. The hope was to add the best crack without any any hacks, we didn't always catch them all but trust me I sat there sorting stuff like a mad man supplying Starwindz with data for the command line stuff ie what switches it needed per game while askinh Phaeron for the one emulator instance to stop multiple versions of the emulator being open, he very kindly added it.

Its not perfect but we did our best and are grateful to all that made suggestions but credit has to go for my friend Starwindz who made the frontend happen from the tech side and as a frontend its feature packed, all this while having an incredibly busy technical job in South Korea. He was like a more successful twin brother of mine, we had the same music and hobby interests and a really nice guy, I hope he and his family are well, not had a chance for a chat in a long time :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just discovered this, I'm having a blast. Thanks Mclaneinc (and Starwindz, wherever you are)! 

Is the source available? 

There is one modification I would love: I wish the cover art was featured on the main screen, along with the screen shots. 

Edited by tjcbs
image got inserted somehow

Don't thank me, the core of the work was done by Starwindz, a lovely lovely guy from South Korea, its based heavily on the Gamebase front end from what I have seen. I just did tech stuff on the emulator support and a LOT of game testing..Real thanks to Phaeron for indulging me with command line switches for Altirra and Starwindz, oh and all the wonderful people who made suggestions for the gamepack. I was just happy to be part of it..

I don't think Starwindz made the source available and his job made him a super busy guy as well as having family health issues..As said, Gamebase seems to be the basis of it (uses the same databasing style and I'd imagine some of the code?)

https://www.bu22.com/

Seems like a million years since I spoke to the Gamebase author...Probably is :)

PS, so happy you are having fun with it...That was the whole intention..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello, many greetings to all who worked on this wonderful project. Receive my congratulations from Chile. where in the 80s ATARI had a large number of users and success as a personal computer. When I found out about this compilation of games and the front end it was too late, it didn't exist in the original site and it took me forever to find the base and executables, finally following this forum I managed to find a link that corresponds to version V1. 2.0 beta 3. and there are many games that say they don't exist (file not found) but they are in the database cover images and screenshoot. The question is how can these missing games be added? There are several games in .zip files in the /gamebase/ folder that can be included in the main base. If you can guide me how to include new games in the main game base? Thank you very much and again my congratulations to the development team.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

The original link for the download has now died, here is my own copy. I can't update the main page as it was composed by Starwindz. Both me and Starwindz took a step back from the project because I had / have health issues, and he was / is a very busy team leader in South Korea.

https://mega.nz/file/0xQn2BgQ#piHWwHpSjqXqImAGAXAkXT949ywvtDyqagxeNgW4F0g

Have fun with it..

Paul..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

• 1 month later...