IGNORED

Centron 3D Official web page completed. Info + Pics

rpc_games

Phoenix

And they even made a long persistence monitor to unflicker the flicker .... well really to analogically "buffer" the interlace .... oh wait it's the same thing that a modern display does with composite signal .... I see .... eureka .... I feel I'm not dumb anymore .... except that I read this thread to numb the excruciating pain of living .... so I am quite dumb in the end .... <depressed>Centron</depressed>

Maybe you should see a doctor :) Sounds like you need one.

With the Amiga port, well..... look on our website. www.rpcgames.com.au

Steve

Nope, no doctor:

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=864

And I guess I will be going to hell after all:

post-36731-0-71763600-1404973696_thumb.png

I was under the impression that only Pete, the guy wearing the manager hat, could publish such big news on the website, but I guess Steve, the one with the coder hat, can do it as well, what do you know, the world is full of surprises.

I was convinced that the duo needed each other because one can only read but not write, the other can only write but not read, Steve proved me wrong ..... I have to stand corrected I guess Pteve is alive!!!!

It's amazing what one single AtariAge user writing a sarcastic comment is capable of achieving: an announcement link at around 4:00PM in an Australian website .... certainly a well concerted marketing ploy, dunno maybe it's happy hour "down under".

Next the PC-FX link please.

<depressed>Centron</depressed>

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

Even I'm bored of this thread and utter nonsense, the final straw was the "we are porting it to the amiga", look a whole new community you can troll.

I presume you are porting it on your new dev system, OH WAIT, that isn't finished / real either....

You started this "are you interested in a new game in development" in 2012, even TMR completes a project faster than that (Sorry Jase :) Kidding!)

To all atarians, as Stephen says, go and write something if you feel the need and if you can't like me then boot up some old or new atari goodness as you are going to get genuine fun out of that as opposed to 'Pteve-ware' which is alive and well as a disk label only...

To our great devs who do stuff for love, fun or to make some cash, this only makes us think even more highly of you...Our A-Team....

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

I wrote (and released) a game once... Of course, I wrote it for the pure enjoyment of it.....

35F6 36B6 0557 0707 5647

Hey Bryan... what is that on the table? Real Atari??? haven't seen that for ages :D (coding on virtual machines for several years :D)

• Like 1

If rpc-games keeps getting upset with each user community we may end up with Centron 3D on every system! Awesome. But I will refuse to play it until every employee of rpc-games apologizes to me for letting me and my Atari's down. I'm not sure if that is 4 people or 1 person at this point so one apology would be sufficient.

ravard

• Like 2

You started this "are you interested in a new game in development" in 2012, even TMR completes a project faster than that (Sorry Jase :) Kidding!)

Have you lot met my fanclub? =-)

To all atarians, as Stephen says, go and write something if you feel the need and if you can't like me then boot up some old or new atari goodness as you are going to get genuine fun out of that

There's no way to become an xxl, Sheddy or MatoSimi overnight because getting to that level takes time, effort and skill. But with the resources and cross development tools available now it'll be a rare person who really can't get into assembly language for the Atari 8-bit and it just needs to be approached realistically by going for something relatively simple as a first project to get your head around the basics of display lists and players, then building on that.

If you get really stuck (and most people will) just ask here, there's always someone around who'll be willing to help out if you ask nicely. If you're really lucky it won't be me. =-)

• Like 2

Have you lot met my fanclub? =-)

There's no way to become an xxl, Sheddy or MatoSimi overnight because getting to that level takes time, effort and skill. But with the resources and cross development tools available now it'll be a rare person who really can't get into assembly language for the Atari 8-bit and it just needs to be approached realistically by going for something relatively simple as a first project to get your head around the basics of display lists and players, then building on that.

If you get really stuck (and most people will) just ask here, there's always someone around who'll be willing to help out if you ask nicely. If you're really lucky it won't be me. =-)

Shurrup or I will steal all those dominatrix photo's used in the last demo ;)

Oh I wasn't suggesting nor hoping to convince people they can become star studded programmers over night but those guys did start out somewhere and so can anyone, be it a "Hello World" in Basic or ASM its all possible, the point is to start and learn, if its fun then carry on, if its not your thing then play what these guys old and new have written, its Atarian goodness (that sounds a bit like scientology to me, Tom Cruise, step way from the XL or I'll force feed you anti depression tablets)

Oh I wasn't suggesting nor hoping to convince people they can become star studded programmers over night but those guys did start out somewhere and so can anyone, be it a "Hello World" in Basic or ASM its all possible, the point is to start and learn, if its fun then carry on, if its not your thing then play what these guys old and new have written, its Atarian goodness (that sounds a bit like scientology to me, Tom Cruise, step way from the XL or I'll force feed you anti depression tablets)

Said in some weeks ago somewhere, but here goes again.

In my opinion an important ingreediant is the free time and dedication you onl yhave as a young boy (or girl?).

If any of the "star coders" started coding after 30 then I woul dlike to know. Because I can then burry my theory.

@Creature XL...

I think its a fair point, there are some exceptions but mostly old timers who coded originally (or in my case tried to).

What I do like however are the newer gamers who are of the PS One upwards age who suddenly get introduced to say the C64 or Atari and are instantly hooked, they have never played games with the complexity of AI of Mr Do (a truly under rated game), sure its not pretty compared to today's eye candy but when you are being put under pressure by those chasers who have their own personalty the game takes on a level of YES!! I've beaten the level or NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, just one more try for that high score.

I'm not saying its not there with today's tech but the young ones when introduced to real gameplay do love it.

Shurrup or I will steal all those dominatrix photo's used in the last demo ;)

S'okay, i've got loads more... erm, or not!

Oh I wasn't suggesting nor hoping to convince people they can become star studded programmers over night but those guys did start out somewhere and so can anyone, be it a "Hello World" in Basic or ASM its all possible, the point is to start and learn, if its fun then carry on

The point i was going for in my usual roundabout way was that would be programmers shouldn't look at releases like Space Harrier or Ridiculous Reality, think "i could never do that" and putting themselves off. Start simple and build up from there, stick to genres you like because playtesting something you're not massively keen on rapidly becomes a chore and don't be afraid to ask for help - even if mistakes are made (and any coder who says he hasn't made mistakes along the way is either lying or not trying hard enough!) they can be learnt from (for example, trying a Pac-man clone only to realise just how involved the ghost management code actually is).

Said in some weeks ago somewhere, but here goes again.

In my opinion an important ingreediant is the free time and dedication you onl yhave as a young boy (or girl?).

If any of the "star coders" started coding after 30 then I woul dlike to know. Because I can then burry my theory.

It's harder to find the time if you're a family man and/or holding down a job, but most of us coders are in that boat too and people with all-consuming hobbies have always made the time since long before home computers came along (see all of those sitcom or soap opera cliches about long-suffering wives whose husbands leave maggots in the fridge or motorbike parts scattered across the front room for further reference) so it isn't impossible as such. And we're not talking about becoming star coders either, just people finding some time to learn about creating stuff.

But star coders after thirty? Rob Hubbard and Richard Joseph would both have been around thirty in 1985 or 1986 when they first started getting credits on games and Danielle Berry was already thirty in 1979 when the Atari 8-bit came out so probably more like 34 when MULE was released. It might not be considered common for coders to be past their early twenties but it happened and there were others who certainly appeared to be around that age along with many more who were closer to their mid twenties like Chris Stamper or David Whittaker.

• Like 2

I personally don't think anyone can become a programmer/coder - no matter how keen they may be at playing videogames.

I'm no programmer and haven't shown any ability in programming when I've tried. But I haven't really tried putting the time and effort into trying....

But I'd guess it's like many other skills - which are slowly acquired through sheer hard work - although it'll probably be not so hard for those who show real talent in it?

I am quite content to remain a graphics guy, who like to tweak graphics to a good standard. I would have liked to have seen this Centron-3D running, via a video - as I would guess it really needs a higher resolution - and currently it merely looks much like a Lynx game? But without the sophisicated sprite hardware on that system.

I don't mind working with others who like to do stuff that was not successfully done on the A8 hardware. I always felt for example that Zaxxon wasn't done well at all (nor Super Zaxxon) - but graphics wise - it could only look like the C64 version? maybe... ie. only be marginally improved?

There's probably other examples.

@rpc_games

No offence, but wouldn't it be better if you guys create a new account for every member of your team? I believe it is rather agains the netiquette when more than one person writes under the same nickname.

But that will make it harder for Pete to remember which one of the team he's supposed to be...

• Like 2

@rpc_games

No offence, but wouldn't it be better if you guys create a new account for every member of your team? I believe it is rather agains the netiquette when more than one person writes under the same nickname.

But it's also expressly forbidden for the same person to use multiple accounts, so by sharing one account amongst himself, he avoids potential suspension.

• Like 3

I personally don't think anyone can become a programmer/coder - no matter how keen they may be at playing videogames.

I'm no programmer and haven't shown any ability in programming when I've tried. But I haven't really tried putting the time and effort into trying....

But I'd guess it's like many other skills - which are slowly acquired through sheer hard work - although it'll probably be not so hard for those who show real talent in it?

I am quite content to remain a graphics guy, who like to tweak graphics to a good standard. I would have liked to have seen this Centron-3D running, via a video - as I would guess it really needs a higher resolution - and currently it merely looks much like a Lynx game? But without the sophisicated sprite hardware on that system.

I don't mind working with others who like to do stuff that was not successfully done on the A8 hardware. I always felt for example that Zaxxon wasn't done well at all (nor Super Zaxxon) - but graphics wise - it could only look like the C64 version? maybe... ie. only be marginally improved?

There's probably other examples.

I on the other hand think anyone can be a coder but how well they get on will be reliant on certain virtues such a s creativity, art skills, problem solving, thinking in 3D and maths skills. I can code non intelligent stuff ie you want me to write sectors from a to b and I'm in, you want me to design a game and I'm stuck from the start, I'm rubbish at sprite design and backdrops, I'm musically tone deaf and I doubt I have the needed maths for multiplexors etc.

I did a smooth scrolling screen full of gfx memory a while back just to see if I could do it but that was it..

On a personal note, the user isn't familiar but the location and town are, have I sent you a big box of cassettes a while back :)

And magazines....

I on the other hand think anyone can be a coder but how well they get on will be reliant on certain virtues such a s creativity, art skills, problem solving, thinking in 3D and maths skills.

Talent is the other magical ingredient which separates the great from the good.

If rpc-games keeps getting upset with each user community we may end up with Centron 3D on every system!

We'll certainly end up with screenshots for every system!

I have to admit there's something here even more interesting than Centron: Where can I find a job writing games for obsolete systems for a company who has no interest in sales or profits? We're all jealous Steve!

35F6 36B6 0557 0707 5647

• Like 6