IGNORED

Centron 3D Official web page completed. Info + Pics

rpc_games

It's not a bad game concept for a lowly 8-bit. Maybe someone here could make something similar happen, or help Pete make his dream happen *ducks to avoid a flying chair*, in the 9 color GTIA mode. I know many don't think the trade-off in resolution is incentive enough to get a few more colors, but I don't think it would look that bad, really. Given how the game-screen is split up, probably could be able to throw in a few DLIs (is one able in this mode?), to color it up a bit.

I do too. His music video proves he has editing skills.

Look at the overlay of the Centron title screen over the Workbench in the same video. The picture is offset to the right, which violates the standard screen borders. Then look at the same technique applied to the video Pete made of the AGA game Pinball Fantasies. It fits perfectly (it's a little hard to tell because of the desktop graphic used, but use the info bar at the top as the indication of where the borders are...)

Anyway, I bet we could analyze 100 Amiga videos that transition from the Workbench to a graphic and never see this offset behavior.

IF I recall correctly, (and it's entirely probable I do not) Workbench limits its maximum screen width by a few pixels to provide DMA time for the sprite used as the mouse pointer. A screen that has no sprites could be wider... (and, if the screen is using the low-res pixels, it could definitely be wider than workbench.) (and again, the later generations hardware could completly fart around with scan and refresh rate which may also offset an image on screen capture.)

OW! I got a cramp from bending over backward so far to cut Pteve so much slack.

Really, this thing smells like a slideshow program that's been relabelled to "Centron3D.run".

Found out some more about Peter...

His domain is registered to Peter Adamcik who also owns:

http://movesystems.com.au/

-----

DISCLAIMER:

I had some beers, but I post anyway :o

-----

Guess it was so obvious you didn't even mentioned it, but I do:

http://www.retropc.com.au

is of course registered to him as well. Which might explain why he can say this:

"You can see our listing on the official RetroPC1010's website here." (link goes here: http://www.retropc.com.au/games_software_houses_r.html)

And, no surprise, it's the only entry in the whole library. WTF!

And Move Systems has an OS versioned 2.1 but all they do on their website is promote the RPC?

Ah right. I forgot, it's the same person.

The RPC uses this as CPU:

"CPU: Texas Instruments 32-bit dualcore (Testing at present and we like it !!! - It's FAST !!!! Move Systems Engineering.)"

Wouldn't any sane person say "OMAP 4", "OMAP 5" or something? Who would say the stuff above?

I have put down down money in 2008 for the OpenPandora and I waited 4 years. My friends told me the thing will never happen, but I own a Pandora for 2 years now.

I was able to follow the development of the Pandora and believe me, these guys were proud of what they had in development, they posted Youtube vids, created a forum and a whole community was born. Now the next device ("Pyra") is being developed...

With this experience under my belt I can say that there will never be a RPC computer (or the Aussies take a whole different road)

Finally I am fully convinced that this guy is full of shit and applaude to the guys here who spotted it way before me. ALTHOUGH, I still find some of the posts are out of line!

If this post is empty when you read it, I reread it when I was sober and deleted it :)

Edited by Creature XL
  • Like 2

IF I recall correctly, (and it's entirely probable I do not) Workbench limits its maximum screen width by a few pixels to provide DMA time for the sprite used as the mouse pointer. A screen that has no sprites could be wider... (and, if the screen is using the low-res pixels, it could definitely be wider than workbench.) (and again, the later generations hardware could completly fart around with scan and refresh rate which may also offset an image on screen capture.)

I always thought sprite DMA stole from available CPU time, not from the screen, but I'm not an Amiga expert by any means.

EDIT: Okay, I did find evidence of sprite intensive games having larger borders to allow more DMA, but for a single sprite?

The RPC uses this as CPU:

"CPU: Texas Instruments 32-bit dualcore (Testing at present and we like it !!! - It's FAST !!!! Move Systems Engineering.)"

Wouldn't any sane person say "OMAP 4", "OMAP 5" or something? Who would say the stuff above?

And how is it retro if it's got a fast & modern CPU? Isn't it just another Single Board Computer?

"You are not worthy. In FACT it IS VERY simple - I just applied a 'move.l A0, A1'. IF you would know 68K, you would know that this moves the LONG side of the screen from zero address/position to the next one(='1'). I call this DMA: Direct Monitor Adjustment."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This image shows it better. It's obviously not impossible to do this on the Amiga, but why bother moving the borders for a quick graphic presentation?

Actually when you build a new screen from scratch on the Amiga (which you do when you want to use HAM), you can freely position the display window using DIWSTRT/DIWSTOP /DDFSTRT/DDFSTOP.

• Like 2

Actually when you build a new screen from scratch on the Amiga (which you do when you want to use HAM), you can freely position the display window using DIWSTRT/DIWSTOP /DDFSTRT/DDFSTOP.

Okay, my bad. The evidence of tampering isn't there. Darn Jay Miner and his infinitely tweakable hardware!!!

I scrutinized the video as frames. Here's what I found.

There are some real oddities with the black frames. First, there are exactly 300 of them. Exactly. This would mean that the loading time was an IMPOSSIBLY precise 10 seconds at 30 FPS. Additionally, there is no transition collision between the black frames and the other stages of the video. Usually, when converting between video formats, you will get a frame or two of transition effect as the video render composites multiple source frames into a single frame on the output product. There is nothing like that here. It is too exact to have been done anywhere but in post-production. Finally, when the brightness and contrast are maxed out on the black frames, a technique commonly used to find ghost effects in otherwise dark video, there is nothing. And I mean nothing. The only thing I get is some small amount of artifacting consistent with video compression. Perfect black is something you only find when an editor inserts it. These factors make it a near certainty that the black space was inserted into the video.

So what was cut out?

• Like 9

We must face the possibility that the Amiga version has progressed beyond the Atari 8-bit version.

Of course. It has sound. The Atari version has not.

Wait a minute... maybe it is easy to fake Amiga Tracker music then real POKEY music? Wait a minute.. would the game have had no sound at all?

Good night folks. I can't wait to read this thread when I wake up...

Edited by Creature XL
  • Like 1

We must face the possibility that the Amiga version has progressed beyond the Atari 8-bit version.

According to the video analysis above the Amiga version has progressed beyond the Amiga hardware capabilities. Now that's some masterful coding. We are not worthy of Centron3D.

• Like 2

Removing the music from the Amiga version would be a sure sign that real progress was being made.

You know, that's a good point. Even if the video is 100% authentic. That is an ugly ass splash screen with an excruciatingly 80's synth/pop/rock soundtrack. Now, if you want the good tunes, you just load up some of that Yoomp! action. I don't know which is cooler, the menu screen music or the in-game music. I play hard not to lose just so I can keep hearing that music. Seriously. Masterful.

• Like 1