IGNORED

Centron 3D Official web page completed. Info + Pics

rpc_games

@VladR:

Don't worry about the potential legal ramifications. There are none. No lawyer on the planet is going to waste a single moment on an international copyright lawsuit over something that, even if it was legendary in its implementation, couldn't possibly generate more than four figures in gross revenue. I guess RPC Games could fuel such a lawsuit by brute monetary force, but if they had enough disposable revenue to do that, they probably should have splurged on a website that didn't look like an elementary school fund-raising portal. We all know you can't copyright an idea and they have already splashed theirs all over the internet; blowing their proverbial load before ever getting out of their nickers, so to speak. If Atari Corp. can't successfully establish control of a concept as iconic and basic as Pong, except for the name itself, I don't think RPC Games has much of a chance at keeping the rest of the world away from Astronauts and Delorians. Use a different name and there is simply nothing they can do.

• Like 2

I guess RPC Games could fuel such a lawsuit by brute monetary force, but if they had enough disposable revenue to do that, they probably should have splurged on a website that didn't look like an elementary school fund-raising portal.

I would be surprised if 'RPC Games' really exists.

Move Systems (which seems to be the name behind their RetroPC) exists as a business name and would appear to be active for some time:

http://www.abn.business.gov.au/SearchByAbn.aspx?abn=90939844510

http://movesystems.com.au/

Post Code is the same for website and ABN lookup record. ABN registration isn't something trivial unless you're just doing so as a sole trader (I did so some years back, no cost for sole-trader).

• Like 3

It's all pretty academic unless you actually produce anything, but certainly an inexpensive justification for calling yourself a managing director. I know companies can be registered cheaply here in the UK, and I was once (supposedly) on the board of directors of an HR consultancy... for about two weeks, until the guys who registered it (one of whom is a qualified HR Consultant) lost interest in their side-project. Anyway: all well and good if Move Systems is a registered company, but the fact it's run by the same guy whose other website has the red-lettered, loony-tune Centron3D withdrawal proclamation on it takes the edge off the professional sheen a bit.

• Like 2

Move Systems (which seems to be the name behind their RetroPC) exists as a business name and would appear to be active for some time:

http://www.abn.business.gov.au/SearchByAbn.aspx?abn=90939844510

http://movesystems.com.au/

Post Code is the same for website and ABN lookup record. ABN registration isn't something trivial unless you're just doing so as a sole trader (I did so some years back, no cost for sole-trader).

However, in your very first link one can read:

"Entity type: Individual/Sole Trader"

So not too serious after all? Just asking. No idea if it is comparable to what i did in Germany. Paid 10 Euro and filled out a 2 page form.

• Like 1

I had a sole trader ABN of the simplest type - just use your name. Next from that is what we've got here - sole trader but as a business name.

But it's not to say this "business" is his bread & butter - plenty of people have businesses registered that are just sideline activities or extensions of their hobbies.

Lets just agree the guys a bit of a sad loon who has shown multiple personality disorder both in video (what an amazing music vid) and as Steve on here, he has never produced a working final product and every thing announced is either delayed or cancelled.

Even if he did produce something now I'd not part with my money as I simply don't trust him.

Simple fact is that if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it probably is a duck, just a lame duck in his case...

Fantacists can sometimes be very creative in one way or another, or just annoying in this case..

Why are we even talking of copyright?

I don't think DeLorean granted "RPC Games" any right to (ab)use their car/brand/image/what_have_you.

Yep they still exists, and still make money out of their brand.

So unless "RPC games" has an agreement with DeLorean I am sure they have no right to copyright squat in the current shape as they are breaking the DeLorean copyright and trademark as it is, the fact that Pteve is not boasting of such an agreement in any of his pompous marketing messaging is a tell tale that as of now there's no such agreement.

On a side note maybe if "RPC Games" contacts them they may actually be interested in investing ... you never know, the world is full of surprises.

On the general topic of human behavior please keep in mind that "you can't fix stupid", you just can't, let it go.

I am under the impression that these days we want to believe that any piece of garbage released for a retro is a masterpiece when in reality, exactly like back in the days, 95% is utter crap.

I have not played the game, nobody but him has, so I can't comment if it is garbage or not, at the same time I am not assuming it is a masterpiece either, and going by simple statistics chances are it is garbage anyway.

I am not trying to dissuade any homebrewers, to the contrary please go for it, but keep in mind that the same way I can't just wear an artist beret and then paint a Picasso, just because you start coding something retro it doesn't mean it's a classic. Do it for yourself, do it for the fun of it, some may appreciate it, some may not, irrelevant, but if you want to charge money for it the bar is different.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Looking at the Micro Mart review I think I'm quite happy to say they made that load of old bunk up based on getting a first.

There NO new screen shots and we know for a fact that 99.9% of stuff was made up about it..

Going to write to them tomorrow to ask them to confirm publicly they reviewed a playable copy...

I for one already see the didn't play the game, the detail is almost zero and screams echoing a statement from RPC...

And trust me from being a reviewer its a seriously tainted world.....

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Shame the palette appears to lack a good white.

That can actually be fixed. You can set register 712 to a solid white and have it a non flicker color on both palettes, this gets you a solid white nonflicker color

I actually did this in my ICE font editor mode Super 10+ which is very similar to Pete's CMODE. Only 7 registers get changed, while BG (704) and 712 remain steady. This is actually good practice, it gives you a non flicker color and you can hardcode 712 as your screen background, should you need to use PMG's.

Here's an example ICE palette, showing what can be done if you step outside the practice of strictly monochrome + color using a double 10 mode:

post-23798-0-07767100-1405373528_thumb.png

I actually used this to make some mockup pictures in GIMP, by reducing the pictures to Atari 80x192 resolution and 80 colors using the above palette, in this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/188370-doing-pictures-using-super-irg-2-and-other-ice-modes/page-7?do=findComment&comment=3030536

I repeat: THESE ARE MOCKUPS. Not actual Atari pictures ... yet. ;)

• Like 3

I for one already see the didn't play the game

Oops. That would be The Liard school of 'retro journalism'

To be fair though the article does as FJC points out, look like a press release copy. Might be a bit of a fine line there but at least he didn't rate it like the aforementioned turd sack does in similar unplayed circumstances.

• Like 2