IGNORED

The Classic SNES-chipped and yellowed

Well, as of this writing, I'm attempting resurrect a SNES I found in the wild at one of my electronic recycling events. So far I've managed to track down all the pieces I'm going to need to bring it back to life, but this one is a classic example of yellowing and some chipping due to degradation of the plastic from that wonderful flame-retardant case. Unfortunately at this time, I have no idea whether it's going to work until I can give it some juice.

After scouring the threads here for the yellowing issue, I've decided to "leave it alone". My question is: How reliable are the SNES units in general? Has anyone had issues with the equipment for it's age? The only thing I'm going to pay for basically is an A/V cable, a power adapter, and a controller. It had a game plugged into the slot (Super Mario World), so I really have only a few dollars to lose on this adventure.

If, for some reason, it doesn't work, how expensive are "console only" units to obtain? Not any Retron machines, but an original SNES?

Steve

I got one for $5 at Goodwill. It was missing the cartridge door so the cartridge slot was covered with duct tape. I peeled the tape off and it worked fine. I'm still using it! Oh yeah, and because it was so ugly, I decided this was the perfect specimen for trying cutting out the plastic tabs to play Super Famicom games. That worked too with the help of a pair of pliers.

Edited by TheGameCollector

SNES units are nearly indestructible hardwarewise. Seriously, all the units me and my friends got when we were kids all work to this day. These things will survive a nuclear war.

I find that most units damaged on the inside has been severely mishandled or opened up and tampered with by people who don't know what they are doing.

Edited by Raticon

Well, all the hookups to get this poor unit up and running should be arriving soon, then I can see if the main unit itself works. Now, besides Ebay, what, in your opinion, is a good source for SNES games? I will not attempt to purchase complete games, but cartridge-only would be a good start for me. Super Mario World is the first game I have (came with the unit). I have a vague memory of the games that were available, but these days, where do people go to obtain their SNES titles?

Steve

Seems that the prices for cartridges average around $20.00 per cart (no box or manual). Is there some sort of surge of interest in the SNES these days? I can understand certain games being priced VERY high (Final Fantasy III, Earthbound), but some of the more "common" carts?

Ugh. I guess this collection is going to grow slowly. I used to have a ton of these games lying around, but they are all gone and I have to start all over from the beginning. At least one game came with it. What is the reason for the spike in prices? Just a new round of consumer interest?

Ugh. I guess this collection is going to grow slowly. I used to have a ton of these games lying around, but they are all gone and I have to start all over from the beginning. At least one game came with it. What is the reason for the spike in prices? Just a new round of consumer interest?

Yep... the prices have gone up quite a bit for SNES and N64 stuff. It is not uncommon to walk into a retro game store and see a SNES go for $70-$80, and the carts can be expensive. Same goes for the N64. I wished my collection, but I unloaded several years ago.

"Chipped and yellowed" sounds like something you'd hear on MasterChef.

Update:

Well, the SNES works just as it's supposed to, and Super Mario World is a great game to begin my SNES adventures with.

I played SNES Sim City so much that the map select music is burned into my brain.

youtube.com/watch?v=MVtlkBXa8RE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVtlkBXa8RE