IGNORED

Jaguar CD Odd behavior

Rick Dangerous

So I got my copy of I-War in the mail yesterday. I throw it in the Jag CD and get the boot screen, and then nothing. But then I can hear the I-War music. I did this several times and same thing. So I play a few other games, (missile command, ruiner, etc.) and they all work fine.

Finally I pull out my Jag CD (which I pretty much never do) and toss in I-War, and it plays fine on the base console? Had anyone heard of this happening? Audio but no video through my Jaguar CD on I-War only, but it works on the base unit?!?

Then, after plugging the Jag CD back in, I try I-War again, after playing it for like 30 minutes on the jag base, and sure enough audio but no video. Then I went to play Jaguar CD games, (Vid Grid, Battlemorph) and they start freezing on me!! (never happened before) I'm guessing it didn't like being pulled off and popped back down. I let it cool down for a bit and then was able to play an hour of Battlemorph with out it freezing on me again. (Battlemorph never ceases to amaze me by the way, one of the most polished games with the best graphics on the Jag).

Talk about fragile/temperamental! Has anyone had any of these issues, and if so any suggestions? I'm going to play it again tonight to make sure the freezing issue is gone, but having these issues made me realize a few things.

1. I'd rather not have to track down another Jag CD

2. I'm not pulling it off the base unit anymore because it's seemed to react poorly to being moved about.

This is why I'll never buy a CD. That and the ludicrously high cost. I hope you get yours working.

So many good games/homebrews on the Jag CD though!! It's a must get at some point.

Relax, just take off the cd-unit and clean the connectors, both on the upside (where the cartridge plugs in) and the bottom side (that plugs into the Jaguar).

After you've done that, it should be working flawless!

Thanks. I will give it a thorough cleaning tonight. I actually cut up one of my NES cleaning kit pieces just to fit the dual slot in the Jag. I did play an hour or so of battlemorph with no problems so I'm hoping it was just being temperamental and no permanent damage was done.....

I might just be the luckiest guy ever, but I've never had a problem with any of my four. They come off and back on fairly often, get hauled to gaming expos and left on all day, and have been rock solid.

*knocks on wood*

I might just be the luckiest guy ever, but I've never had a problem with any of my four. They come off and back on fairly often, get hauled to gaming expos and left on all day, and have been rock solid.

*knocks on wood*

I haven't either, mine's been rock solid up to this point. I'm thinking everything (including I-War) just needs a good cleaning....

Still the freezing issue had me worried because that would be a Laser issue I'm thinking.... it froze for both Vid Grid and Battlemorph, which are spotless disks. It didn't for Kobayashi Maru but the disc wasn't spinning pretty sure the game was loaded to RAM

Edited by travistouchdown

So I got my copy of I-War in the mail yesterday. I throw it in the Jag CD and get the boot screen, and then nothing. But then I can hear the I-War music. I did this several times and same thing. So I play a few other games, (missile command, ruiner, etc.) and they all work fine.

Finally I pull out my Jag CD (which I pretty much never do) and toss in I-War, and it plays fine on the base console? Had anyone heard of this happening? Audio but no video through my Jaguar CD on I-War only, but it works on the base unit?!?

Then, after plugging the Jag CD back in, I try I-War again, after playing it for like 30 minutes on the jag base, and sure enough audio but no video. Then I went to play Jaguar CD games, (Vid Grid, Battlemorph) and they start freezing on me!! (never happened before) I'm guessing it didn't like being pulled off and popped back down. I let it cool down for a bit and then was able to play an hour of Battlemorph with out it freezing on me again. (Battlemorph never ceases to amaze me by the way, one of the most polished games with the best graphics on the Jag).

Talk about fragile/temperamental! Has anyone had any of these issues, and if so any suggestions? I'm going to play it again tonight to make sure the freezing issue is gone, but having these issues made me realize a few things.

1. I'd rather not have to track down another Jag CD

2. I'm not pulling it off the base unit anymore because it's seemed to react poorly to being moved about.

It's not your JagCD it's your copy I-War, I've run in to this before. Are you using a RBG monitor? If you are you won't get any video from the game if you want to use your RBG monitor you'll have to remove your JagCD to play I-War. This the only game I know on the Jag that has this odd bug. Edited by walter_J64bit

It's not your JagCD it's your copy I-War, I've run in to this before. Are you using a RBG monitor? If you are you won't get any video from the game if you want to use your RBG monitor you'll have to remove your JagCD to play I-War. This the only game I know on the Jag that has this odd bug.

Interesting thank you! I'm glad to hear it's a thing with the game. It's composite into a samsung flatscreen, but maybe there is a chip in the TV that is triggering the RGB issue that I-War has.

It's funny this isn't unique to Jag, I got a VGA cable for my dreamcast recently to play pro-scan games in higher def (not sure if it's quite 480p) and when I pop in Hydro Thunder, and only Hydro Thunder, it says "cable not supported" on a white screen. It seems like some games out there really don't like RGB...

It's funny this isn't unique to Jag, I got a VGA cable for my dreamcast recently to play pro-scan games in higher def (not sure if it's quite 480p) and when I pop in Hydro Thunder, and only Hydro Thunder, it says "cable not supported" on a white screen. It seems like some games out there really don't like RGB...

Where you hooking it up to a monitor? Back in day I had my DC hooked up to a computer monitor through VGA and Hydro Thunder worked. IIRC though some of the early print games had issues and this might have been one of them. I think the updated ones said "Hot" on them.

Interesting thank you! I'm glad to hear it's a thing with the game. It's composite into a samsung flatscreen, but maybe there is a chip in the TV that is triggering the RGB issue that I-War has.

No, it's not the TV, when I've found the bug I was using Atari OEM ST RBG monitors but if you use Composite Video or the S-Video you can play I-War with out having to remove the JagCD. That's just the way that bug works. :?

• Like 1

Where you hooking it up to a monitor? Back in day I had my DC hooked up to a computer monitor through VGA and Hydro Thunder worked. IIRC though some of the early print games had issues and this might have been one of them. I think the updated ones said "Hot" on them.

No it was hooked up to a Samsung 55inch LCD TV. Hydro Thunder was a launch game and I don't believe my copy says "hot" on it, though I have seen those and do know what you are talking about. Looks like a little orange sale sticker on the front. Looks like I'll have to find a "hot" copy as I'd rather pay another 10 bucks than switch out my AV cord every time I want to play Hydro Thunder. The other odd quirk of the DC VGA cable was that some games menu's were displayed in black and white.

This RGB story made me curious, as I have my Jaguar with an official RGB scart cable connected to a Philips monitor (with scart of course).

I tried I-War while inserted in the Jag-cd, and it just works without issues, at 50Hz. and 60Hz.

Interesting. I'm going to clean everything this weekend and see what happens, but the sound was coming in loud and clear so I'm guessing its and NTSC I-War/Jag CD Quirk.....

Edited by travistouchdown

This RGB story made me curious, as I have my Jaguar with an official RGB scart cable connected to a Philips monitor (with scart of course).

I tried I-War while inserted in the Jag-cd, and it just works without issues, at 50Hz. and 60Hz.

Maybe it runs just fine with "official RGB scart cable", I didn't use scart cable, I was using the official 13pin Din cables, say maybe I should try out the catbox see if I get video with my St monitor.

Edited by walter_J64bit

Played my Jaguar CD for about four hours last night(Vid Grid, Battlemorph, Myst), and happy to report no freezing issues.

I-War is still audio only through the CD unit. I'm going to give it a thorough cleaning this weekend and see if it changes anything. My feeling is that it won't. I think it's just a Jag CD/I war issue or perhaps related to my TV? Composite into 2011 Samsung 55 LCD

I have some issues with several games when I plug them in the Jag CD slot.

One solution consists of not fully plugging the cartridge if you don't want to unplug the Jag CD each time you want to play iWar.

All in all, that's not that bad for a 20 years old system.