IGNORED

The Lost Caves of Kroz Order Thread

Why in the bloody hell was this game made to be so difficult???!!! :mad:

Which room are you stuck in?

During testing, we worried a lot about Room 7 in particular and it was actually dialed back quite a bit. ( :-o)

There are lots of really different kinds of puzzles, and different people will struggle with different rooms - the whole left / right brain thing, et. al. There's another room (maybe 15) that just seems to kick my ass, but nobody else in beta ever had trouble with it. More than once, I got fed up enough to fire off a tirade and hour later, walk through it without much trouble, humbly sending a "never mind" follow-up email. :dunce:

And as SoulBuster mentioned, IntellivisionDude has got some "spoiler" videos up (haven't watched them).

NOTE: There's a discrepancy in the manual that it refers to a hint page on the Elektronite site. That obviously hasn't happened, and I can't say when / if it will. But the thinking was likely to be NOT a walkthrough there, either. Part of that meta-content was added directly into the game -- the text you see when you enter the room. Space is really limited there, so perhaps long-term that can be expanded upon and that, along with what's in the manual, all get rolled up.

One of the unique things about this game is that there's an implicit expectation that collaboration to solve some of the puzzles would be likely. Hopefully as more people get the game in hand and play it we'll see more contributors.

Yes having witnessed the testing conversations (after getting stuck embarrassingly early on level wise) you guys would not believe the amount of time Steve spent testing this and providing feedback. He certainly qualifies as an expert on this game and I'm certain he will be a great resource as folks work their way through this massive game. There will definitely be help shared within the community on this one.

Yes having witnessed the testing conversations (after getting stuck embarrassingly early on level wise) you guys would not believe the amount of time Steve spent testing this and providing feedback. He certainly qualifies as an expert on this game and I'm certain he will be a great resource as folks work their way through this massive game. There will definitely be help shared within the community on this one.

Dave (not sure if he lurks here) was the real testing king. I had to work pretty hard just to keep up with him. More often than not, he'd noodle out the toughest puzzles first, and it was rare that he needed help from John. I think he even played most of the way through (if not all the way) on the Assassin level! Haven't even tried that one, yet - only Thief and Rogue.

Lawrence also injected some raw honesty when it was needed and found one of the most fatal bugs.

The testing did finally force me to learn how to set up a PAL system on a decrepit old PC TV tuner card, though! I'll certainly take credit for that part -- the game's much better for having been tested on PAL, and eventually jzIntv will also be much more accurate for emulating PAL. Not sure if Joe's made the PAL updates to jzIntv public yet.

cmart, now you can send me all those cast-off European variant consoles! :P

The loose Aussie system I have is a little flakey -- sometimes you need to wait 20 minutes before the colors show up, and sometimes after a couple hours, they go away again. Since it's the only PAL system I have, there's not a known good reference to compare it with. Could be the tuner card, too.

Edited by intvsteve
  • Like 2

Dave (not sure if he lurks here) was the real testing king. I had to work pretty hard just to keep up with him. More often than not, he'd noodle out the toughest puzzles first, and it was rare that he needed help from John. I think he even played most of the way through (if not all the way) on the Assassin level! Haven't even tried that one, yet - only Thief and Rogue.

Lawrence also injected some raw honesty when it was needed and found one of the most fatal bugs.

The testing did finally force me to learn how to set up a PAL system on a decrepit old PC TV tuner card, though! I'll certainly take credit for that part -- the game's much better for having been tested on PAL, and eventually jzIntv will also be much more accurate for emulating PAL. Not sure if Joe's made the PAL updates to jzIntv public yet.

The loose Aussie system I have is a little flakey -- sometimes you need to wait 20 minutes before the colors show up, and sometimes after a couple hours, they go away again. Since it's the only PAL system I have, there's not a known good reference to compare it with. Could be the tuner card, too.

Actually I certainly do have some extra PAL consoles which I'll add to my lengthy to be shipped list. Hopefully the holidays will alow me to clear up the logjam. :)

Dave is grips03 :)

• Like 1

They will be part of jzIntv 1.0. No more of this "Beta Whatever" crap. If there's fixes after 1.0, they go in 1.1, etc.

I need to get 1.0 out there. jzIntv is nearly old enough to vote now.

• Like 3

I'm on level 16 at the moment. But i'm getting tired and i'll try it again tomorrow. This one is tough but i may have figured out some stuff just before i stopped. Actually quite a few of these were tough and i was cussing a lot. but i eventually figured it out. All i'm gonna say is "if i could speak with Mary, i'd like to tell her and her little lamb to go to hell". ;) :-D

• Like 2

Made it to level 7 and then got stuck.

Great game and I'm enjoying the challenge of the puzzles.

Swore a few times. Love the save game feature.

Will give it another crack tomorrow....and probably cheat by first watching IntellivisionDude's video.

In case you missed it on this thread, check here for a little indirect help on Level 7.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/232423-spoilers-the-lost-caves-of-kroz-hint-thread/

I'm on level 16 at the moment. But i'm getting tired and i'll try it again tomorrow. This one is tough but i may have figured out some stuff just before i stopped. Actually quite a few of these were tough and i was cussing a lot. but i eventually figured it out. All i'm gonna say is "if i could speak with Mary, i'd like to tell her and her little lamb to go to hell". ;) :-D

Mary is in the game??? :-o

It is done, I have officially beaten the game (on Thief difficulty). Wow that was one of those most amazing and frustrating games i have ever played. The frustration was well worth it. Now i will have to try it on a harder difficulty.

I will admit i gave up on level 7 and had to get a solution but the rest i pretty much figured out on my own. I did get some help/suggestions for a couple puzzles from people who were watching me play but no true spoilers except that one. But there was a few i was so frustrated on i almost did give up on.

This game is simply a masterpiece.

• Like 2

It is done, I have officially beaten the game (on Thief difficulty). Wow that was one of those most amazing and frustrating games i have ever played. The frustration was well worth it. Now i will have to try it on a harder difficulty.

I will admit i gave up on level 7 and had to get a solution but the rest i pretty much figured out on my own. I did get some help/suggestions for a couple puzzles from people who were watching me play but no true spoilers except that one. But there was a few i was so frustrated on i almost did give up on.

This game is simply a masterpiece.

Just curious... do you work? :lol: