IGNORED

WazzUp with Heatwave BBS?

Omega-TI

• 1 year later...

Last night I tried to move my no-ip dynamic updater from its current Windows-based system to a Synology NAS.  The Synology has an external configuration option for many dynamic IP solutions, including no-ip.  Unfortunately, the NAS doesn't seem to be able to log in and the operation fails.  Anyone here have experience with this arrangement?

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Last night I tried to move my no-ip dynamic updater from its current Windows-based system to a Synology NAS.  The Synology has an external configuration option for many dynamic IP solutions, including no-ip.  Unfortunately, the NAS doesn't seem to be able to log in and the operation fails.  Anyone here have experience with this arrangement?

Maybe Alan (@OLD CS1) will weight in. I think he will have some useful insight here.

...lee

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lee Stewart said:

Maybe Alan (@OLD CS1) will weight in. I think he will have some useful insight here.

...lee

No help directly regarding the NAS.  I have no experience with the Synology interface, but I have resources who have.  First thing I am going to ask, of course, is if you are running the latest firmware.

Something to consider is that a while back DynDNS (before the Oracle purchase) switched from using direct account credentials to using the account username and an authentication key.  You can find that in your user account portal, and if you are not yet using one you should be able to generate it there.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

@InsaneMultitasker Hey, check to see if your router/firewall has a dynamic DNS client.

My router doesn't have a dynamic client option.  However, your comment about latest firmware gave me an ah-hah moment.  The uptime for the NAS was 141 days and I noticed that in the DDNS options my external IP address was not displayed.  The DSM log showed an update had occurred some time ago.  So on a whim I reset the NAS and lo-and-behold, the external IP registered AND the dialogue options are now slightly different.  I added the no-ip information successfully and it appears to be working.  Thank you and @Lee Stewart for helping me get over the hurdle :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As of this post, I have taken Heatwave offline.   There are over 50,000 electrical power outages in our county/region, and my neighborhood is one of the few that still has power.  We were told/asked to reduce usage as much as possible.   The cold weather is expected to continue through the week.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

As of this post, I have taken Heatwave offline.   There are over 50,000 electrical power outages in our county/region, and my neighborhood is one of the few that still has power.  We were told/asked to reduce usage as much as possible.   The cold weather is expected to continue through the week.  

Yep, I've already pulled my geneve outta case, were expecting this next wave of ice Tonight. Don't need problems

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

You should all move to Minnesota. -21F, crisp and sunny. When you open the fridge, a warm front hits you in the face...

Sounds like my kind of place. She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed would have an absolute conniption at the suggestion though. She thinks 70 degrees Farenheit is insufferably cold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

You should all move to Minnesota. -21F, crisp and sunny. When you open the fridge, a warm front hits you in the face...

For the first time in years I  (1) placed a pot of chili outside to cool it down in the snow and (2) spent some time outside in the cold, crisp, quiet night air.   10F is plenty cool down hear and so far, the outdoor pipes are surviving.   Sadly, the number of power outages in the region continues to rise.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

For the first time in years I  (1) placed a pot of chili outside to cool it down in the snow and (2) spent some time outside in the cold, crisp, quiet night air.   10F is plenty cool down hear and so far, the outdoor pipes are surviving.   Sadly, the number of power outages in the region continues to rise.

Sounds like your area is definitely not set up for this kind of weather, and I'm afraid it might become a more common feature. Time for a generator? ?