IGNORED

WazzUp with Heatwave BBS?

Omega-TI

Fortunately, the weather is warming up and most people in our region now have power restored.  I'm hoping the call to conserve power ends soon.    Anyway, I decided the warmer, daylight hours would be a good time to do some quick software maintenance.  I tried to bring HW online only to discover it will not power up.  The system was on a UPS so I don't think the periodic outages damaged the power supply.  I will investigate the situation sometime in the next few days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Heatwave is back online.  The UPS "breaker" was open - I guess it tripped sometime during the storm even though everything was turned off.  I'll assume it did its job to protect the HW system :)

Periodic outages may be required as Texas recovers from the effects of the storms.  

Good to hear.  I’m almost finished with a new ANSI, nothing major, just something for LOGINTRO or whatever.  Shoot me a Softmail if you want something added (host name, location, whatever).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Looks good, but I wonder why the white background colors aren’t showing up.  If you look at the image in the text I sent you, you will see what I mean.  That’s how it looked in Pablo Draw.

Oh!  I was so happy to see the graphics on the Geneve that I didn't notice the background was missing!   I'll double-check the file - either it didn't transfer correctly or more likely VCLR's older ansi interpreter is not up to snuff.

• 5 weeks later...

Heatwave is down for the time being.  It's crashed a few times, then recovered. Now after a certain point in the load process it encounters a file error.  A subsequent attempt to load a program from the drive results in the SCSI card turning on and the Geneve locking up.  Using an extender card, I confirmed voltages on the card are 5.0v as expected. I don't know if the SCSI card is flaking out or if there is some other explanation.  Depending on the situation, I'll either have HW back online this week or take it offline.  July is Heatwave's 10 year anniversary, so I'm hopeful for the former...

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

I hope you´ll get it running

Thanks. I inspected the folders and the main user file is inaccessible at the directory and file levels.  I backed up the platter for inspection tomorrow.

Fortunately, I made a backup when @arcadeshopper alerted me to a crash a week or so ago.  At that time there were no issues with the file system that could be detected by TIMT.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Do you think it could be the EZ-135 drive going bad, or perhaps the platter itself?

Hard to tell. It could be the SCSI card.  I pulled the platters and am building a new image, with the updated MDOS, GPL, etc. on my HRD4000B.   If I can repair the user file (#SEC) tonight, I'll put the ramdisk into the HW system and see if she'll fire up.   EDIT: I'm seeing files duplicated in the folders, so something bad has happened along the way....

• 2 weeks later...

I found some of my BBS assembly code that I thought had gone the way of the bit bucket.  I had reworked routines to run in 80 columns natively within Advanced BASIC 4.05. In this example, the core BBS file/hotkey/display routines are leveraging the Geneve DSR to display an older version of the BBS menu  :)    I may have to give this some further consideration...

image.thumb.png.64a3be0761252bd6d2cb823c8e8a163c.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Synology DDNS service was not able to communicate to the network and the error messages pointed to a DNS or network configuration error. 

image.thumb.png.24059ab5d4660b941d1002e40d84864a.png

I had not made any changes to the network and could find no issues with other services, file shares, etc.  The NAS uptime was 230+ days so I figured I may as well restart it and sure enough, that did the trick.  Quite annoying.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dhe said:

Most Synology Boxes get automatic updates. It could be after an update the routing/firewall or ddns service didn't restart.

Systemd should give you a fairly length log of what's been happening.

Thanks for the tip, I'll poke around the logs and settings later this week.  I did see that the DSM is a few revs behind and one change is to gmail authentication, which almost certainly explains why I haven't been receiving any system notifications for a while.  The DSM version shows 'up to date' so I'm guessing a manual update is needed to jump to the next version.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...