IGNORED

Lynx Multi Cart

SainT

Great cart!!

I've been following this topics, and now I registered only for congratulate SainT for his development, and express my interest in this cart, but I think I should wait for biggest production, as I don't expect getting one of the firsts batches.

My Lynx start to be nervous for jumping to my hands.

I read you were thinking in outsource the production, and someone named Krizz, but you can also try to contact with Lotharek, as he also produces hardware for other old machines, like Atari ST, 800XL...

• Like 1

I've started a proper pre-order type thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/250637-lynx-multi-card-preorders/

Annoyingly "life" has got in the way, so I've not had time to make any more up. :mad:

But in the mean time, lets get these first few out.

Must. Make. More. Carts.

I'll start PM'ing people down the list in a sec.

• Like 1

As the whole production outsourcing is new to me, anyone with existing experience in this who could share their experiences of fab houses etc (I've looked at TinySine and Seeed for production, both having different merits) would be very useful for me. Like do people tend to provide their own test rigs to fab houses? Or just test when they get the units back? I always like to try and figure out all the unknowns before I do anything... and even more so when it'll cost you a few grand.

I have used Myro PCB before as they were the cheapest option at the time, although based in Canada their boards are made in China, all the boards I had made came back looking great and were fully functional. So even if you use a non Chinese company the boards you get back may still be made in China as even companies with their own facilities sometime outsource due to equipment failure/under capacity.

Some companies claim to cover the cost in import duty in their P&P fees while others do not so don't forget that you may get hammered for import duty on boards coming from outside the EU on top of the quoted price.

I have never paid for assembly but having looked into it I do know some production houses may require you to ship some or all of parts to them if they are not common or in stock parts and others include the cost of surface mount resistors & capacitors in the cost of the board.

Nor have I paid for electrical testing as it was not necessary on my boards but for compact surface mount boards that are harder to fix it may be worth investing in Electrical testing for shorts/open circuit. With modern production processes I think you would be unlucky to receive any board with shorts/open circuits, you have to weigh up coast of getting that done to the cost of potentially losing a couple of boards.

As I have never paid for testing or assembly so I cannot speculate on the quality or dis/advantages of having either done over doing yourself although other than a huge time benefit - as for testing I would think it is easier and cheaper do it yourself than pay them to and you can be 100% certain it is working to your satisfaction.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hope those those sd card adaptors for the lynx will be of very high quality and could last forever,because for what i know,those nds flashcards will malfunction over a period of time, i don't want to let those happen with mine are i get screwed,i readed that so many peoples end up with a slowly dying nds flashcard because of long use.

So i got no issues with cheap production methodes or cheap used meterials aslong they can and will met GARANTEE highly quality,to ensure reliability and long lifespen.

• 2 months later...

Sign me on for a cased Lynx Multi Cart. Should've signed on way before, but didn't like to until I had the money reserved.

Only just spotted this -- post pre-order requests in the pre-order thread, please, otherwise I may miss them! :)

Added.

• 3 months later...

Yep, that's possible. I've not looked into it in detail but basically I think it would require decrypting, patching and re-encrypting of the ROM image as its read into SRAM, which should be fine.

I started to get some PIC code running last night. I have a simple PIC and SD card breadboarded out, so I'll get all the SD card filesystem stuff working first then go from there.

Yeah, i was also thinking about this theory, a cheat cart for the lynx might be possible by,

1 a os program were you put in code sothat once you hit enter,it should command a microcontroller to encrypt,manipulate and te.encrypt the rom on let's say a 4MB sram,then it must sent that manipulated rom to another 512KB sram to loading into the lynx,during that loading process it should isolate the lynx internal ram for a hardreset effect in order to start your manipulated game,this way there should be no need to manualy manipulate your game,and the lynx only needs to communicate with the 512 KB rom ,not with the actual game cart,but if you think it sounds impossible?? A lynx emulator for the xbox allows you to put in cheat codes into your lynx games.

So i believe in this proof of concept but let there should be a cheat cartride invented for the lynx to proof this theory.

Sure,this methode will be totally different then other cheat cartrides for other systems,but if it will work, why not,

• 3 years later...