IGNORED

COLLECTORVISION - Official Ordering Thread for SYDNEY HUNTER

Rev

PCB is held down with some sort of glue that has an odor to it. I would recommend for new releases to reachout to intvnut and ask about using JLP cases for game. JLB cases are awesome for holding PCB secure without glue.

Was your cart shell one of the older ones lacking the insert line reference? I got one like that as well as normal one. Apparently the internal retention points of the older shells were inadequate, so they glued them in. Pics coming on Sunday. My other cart was not like this. I'm sure they only did this with those older shells.

Was your cart shell one of the older ones lacking the insert line reference? I got one like that as well as normal one. Apparently the internal retention points of the older shells were inadequate, so they glued them in. Pics coming on Sunday. My other cart was not like this. I'm sure they only did this with those older shells.

The pcb has square cuts on the side, the cart case has round mounting poins. Hence it would not hold well. This is why they must have glued.

In the future I would recommend using JLP cart shells as they are much nicer and hold the PCB very securely and don't smell like construction adhesive :)

In eagle I used the drill tool to make rounded slots on the edge of the PCB when doing this.

Edited by grips03

Apparently about 20% of the Mattel shells are different than any of the ones I looked at. These 20% lack the two main side holders for a standard width PCB. Instead, they rely on the screw holes for holding the PCB in place. My PCB doesn't surround the screw holes, and relied on the side holders. Open a few shells and you'll see what is happening.

The next revision of the PCB will either be extended vertically to use the screw holes for support, or extended horizontally enough to use all four side holders. I was hoping CollectorVision would be able to save these 20% of the shells for the next revision of the PCB, but I guess that wasn't able to happen.

• Like 1

Apparently about 20% of the Mattel shells are different than any of the ones I looked at. These 20% lack the two main side holders for a standard width PCB. Instead, they rely on the screw holes for holding the PCB in place. My PCB doesn't surround the screw holes, and relied on the side holders. Open a few shells and you'll see what is happening.

The next revision of the PCB will either be extended vertically to use the screw holes for support, or extended horizontally enough to use all four side holders. I was hoping CollectorVision would be able to save these 20% of the shells for the next revision of the PCB, but I guess that wasn't able to happen.

I see what you mean. On my Astrosmash cart shell it has the square / rectangle pegs your pcb would use. The Sydney cart shell lacks these, hence the glue. I wish a less smelly glue was used. If sticking with the recycled shells, an extended pcb will certainly help as this is what Mattel did. This might mess up your programming jig, but perhaps there is a deeper connector that can be used, or switch to a finer pitch card edge that fits between the new screw hole positions.

Edited by grips03
  • Like 1

Pressing one of the keypad buttons (2?) makes you duck, I think. In fact, pressing keypad buttons does odd things, it seems. Haven't read any docs or looked at the overlays yet. :D

If you press certain buttons at the same time -- 5 and 8, maybe? -- Sydney does a bizarre little jog in place, like a cartoon character revving up their feet before running.

And yeah, I can't get the diamond. It's great feat just to get to the top of the skull. Is that the small-then-big jump? I think it's a really tight timing thing... like you have to be on just the right pixel and hit the buttons with just the right timing to pull it off.

It took me quite a few tries too, though I ultimately got a bit of a feel for it.

After playing for a bit, I noticed that the manual drops a big hint about things to discover (don't recall the exact language). Perhaps there's some hidden content in the game? Easter eggs, new wrinkles in later levels, difficulty settings, that sort of thing? I impishly tried inputting 768737 at the title screen, but the first number just triggers the game...

I'm happy to hear you're having fun with the game :)

Two bugs so far.

1) Top left and right action button do nothing.

2) When hero dies due to touching something he is suppose to jump or dodge (bat) , it does not reset the timer at the top of the screen. However it does make the hero repeat the screens in the section he is playing, i.e. grass, cave, etc. This means the player will most likely run out of time before he completes that section, therefore dying again. Running out of time does restart the timer, hence one is able to complete the section.

High score is now: 59,200

post-27883-0-37707500-1413071559_thumb.jpg

Edited by grips03

New high score 63,900. The timer goes so fast I'm not sure I'll be able to get much higher than this.

What are others getting?

I can make it pretty far in level 4, but I always die, due to lack of time.

edit: I still am about 1 second too slow. I get to screen 5 in grass section on level 4 and then an inch from the end I die. Jumping the bird/bat helps, but still not sure I'll get to the end of level 4.

post-27883-0-76546000-1413087475_thumb.jpg

Edited by grips03
  • Like 1

Guess what just arrived... two copies of Smurf Rescue... I mean... Sydney Hunter! :)

Just arrived on Sunday?

Have to admit... SH looks a hell of a lot more interesting than Smurf Rescue. I know the gameplay is similar, but still.

And it's buggy per Grips' post above? Top two side buttons aren't used? Weird.

Tested both of mine on standard Intellivision and they worked fine. I did find a Sydney Hunter cart variant, though :) Pics coming Sunday ;-)

Here's the 'variant' I spoke of. The older shells without the insert line are a little rarer, so it's fun to see homebrews make it into them once in a while. I never realized that the guts were much different, but I suppose Harvey's boards are a bit unique in that they sort of butt up against the screw holes instead of fitting around them. You can see the glue in the pic.

Sydney Hunter Cart (no insert line)

Sydney Hunter Cart (glued PCB)

• Like 2

Here's the 'variant' I spoke of. The older shells without the insert line are a little rarer, so it's fun to see homebrews make it into them once in a while. I never realized that the guts were much different, but I suppose Harvey's boards are a bit unique in that they sort of butt up against the screw holes instead of fitting around them. You can see the glue in the pic.

Cool! now I'll not have to disassemble my Space Raid cartridge just to see how it looks :D