IGNORED

ABBUC Software-Contest 2014

skr

• 4 weeks later...

Developing my game (Ramp Rage) was going extremely well but I've really screwed things up tring to re-write some of my early routines and it's now not running again so some serious debugging going on... :_( :mad: :-o

Anyone else working on something for this year's contest? I'm guessing there's a few people beavering away in their Atari caves :-D

• Like 1

Anyone else working on something for this year's contest? I'm guessing there's a few people beavering away in their Atari caves :-D

i put myself down as a late-in-the-game "maybe" earlier, but there just hasn't been enough time recently to code. =-(

No, Not me, As you know i have new Dracula game lurking, but haven't done as mutch as i would like with it since i first talked about it, but some code has been written so it have had some small progression.

Edited by GentleBaron

Developing my game (Ramp Rage) was going extremely well but I've really screwed things up tring to re-write some of my early routines and it's now not running again so some serious debugging going on... :_( :mad: :-o

I guess many are working in the caves ;)

One of those "looks like a simple rewrite" caused weird bug in my scrolling engine, took me three days to correct it... Was a simple copy paste error :-o

Then real life occupied my free time for more than two weeks (for good reasons, so no hard feelings there), almost a month lost... Looks like it will be frantic race to make at least something in next couple weeks.

Hope others are doing better ?

• Like 1

I picked up the A8 again last week after getting around to finally getting an SIO2SD, and forgot about this to be honest. I might get lucky and get a small contribution together but no breath holding - there's a queue of other people who'd like me to finish other games first (one of which is paying my wages...)

• Like 1

Some great looking stuff! I'm hoping at least one of them will work on NTSC hardware so I don't have to emulate.

Ramp Rage should work on NTSC but definitely won't be great looking :-D

Looking like my entry will be a boot disk/ATR, the game is more or less running (!) just need to adjust the levels and parameters and tie together the movement and scroll speed ... :-o I'm not going to have time to investigate Exonomiser etc to get the ATR into an XEX but thought I'd let you guys know incase you plan to do this for the abbuc disks: [roughly I'm using page 0, pages 4-6 for storage, code starting from page 8-29 (might use 7-29) and maps from 30-90 other storage 90-BF] If any of this causes issues for a boot disk/ATR for specific commonly used hardware then I can perhaps make some adjustments]

:)

• Like 4

Ramp Rage should work on NTSC but definitely won't be great looking :-D

Looking like my entry will be a boot disk/ATR, the game is more or less running (!) just need to adjust the levels and parameters and tie together the movement and scroll speed ... :-o I'm not going to have time to investigate Exonomiser etc to get the ATR into an XEX but thought I'd let you guys know incase you plan to do this for the abbuc disks: [roughly I'm using page 0, pages 4-6 for storage, code starting from page 8-29 (might use 7-29) and maps from 30-90 other storage 90-BF] If any of this causes issues for a boot disk/ATR for specific commonly used hardware then I can perhaps make some adjustments]

Thanks for the information. We - namely Charlie Chaplin - will take of compression and stuff. Looking forward to getting your entry. :)

It was almost finish when it entered on the contest. It was my fault that want to add new weapons, destroy background cannons, add enemys shooting and the large bosses to the end of the levels, some new things into the top status,...

And you only know because we said it, if we didn't you 'eat' the game like if it was finished ;) and then we would give you guys a surprise with these addictions :grin:

So this year if it will be then it will be... FINISHED!

Only two days left.

Is anybody in this year?

I really hope there will be more entries this year... Looking at official page where only your game is listed, it looks so alone ...

My bet is on some guys surprising us, posting entries in last minute, and there will be some simple games probably too...

My own project is far from finished so I'm out of this year compo ... Wish you all the best, your game looks really nice!

Update 14-08-31:

Title - Genre - Author

Dimo`s Quest - Game - 8BitJunkie

Joe Painter - Holger Bommer

Ransack - Jose Pereira and Lyren "Xuel" Brown

Hi everybody,

the first submission for this years contest already arrived. Please find information about SWC 2014 and most current list of entries there:

http://www.abbuc.de/atari/software-ressort/81-software/softwarewettbewerbe/1727-software-wettbewerb-2014

German/English ABBUC Forum topic: http://www.abbuc.de/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8046

I try to keep it updadet here too, of course:

Entries so far:
Title - Genre - Author

Dimo`s Quest - Game - 8BitJunkie

Let´s see if we can reach 14 entries again. I especially encourage you to read JAC!s really useful programming hints, which will save you lots of pain, especially when using Emulators for coding:
Thanks to JAC! for his wonderful support.

Dont want to worry you guys but I thought direct ports of code weren't allowed - wasn't Amaurote 128 disallowed for this reason last year?

I'm having serious tecnhical difficulties getting Ramp Rage to run as a boot game but Jac! is kindly helping out (see the programming forum thread). The game works ok but I haven't been able to play it in full to adjust the parameters / difficulty etc. I'm working on a smaller XEX version just in case... 2 years of work and here I am still counting the minutes as the 130XE crunches the bytes...

Can someone confirm the deadline time is it 9pm UK?

First I receive all entries. Check for rule comliance will be done after the Deadline. I do not decide alone. It is always a single case decision.

And the reason why Amaurote 128 was rejected was, that the code already existed ON THE ATARI 8 Bit. Porting games that were available on other machines (like ZX Spectrum) always was allowed and often done.

BountyBob it is only used the original code to get the gfxs, sprites and levels map. All had to be redone because our hero its PMGs, all translated from bitmap into charmode (our 128chars limit pain), DLIs, most of enemys have other bit-pairs and some pixels redesign to look different shading,... so please not that isn't a straight port and even other recent Beebs ones that seems just simple ports XXL and Fandal probably can say to you that isn't all that simple my friend.

• Like 2