IGNORED

ABBUC Software-Contest 2014

skr

Hi Jozsi,

please contact Wolfgang Burger directly. Or go to the members section of the ABBUC website, the Disk images are there for download.

A problem some users face: Side 2 of the magazine disc (118) is not bootable! In the printed magazine it is written in German only, so let me explain it in English:

Side 2 of Disk 1 (Labeled magazine 118, the other disc is labeled "48" as special magazine) is NOT BOOTABLE! It actually is the Level disc for Dimo´s Quest and can only be used with Dimo´s Quest.

To play Dimo´s Quest you have to load the game from Side 1 of that disc (find it in the menu). First you see the title screen with music. Press Fire and the start screen will be loaded. After it is loaded you have to insert the level disc (Side 2 of Disc 1) and then you can start playing by pressing Fire again.

There is a level editor (Windows only) available from the author which means that you can create your own level disks. More levels will be available after the annual meeting, which is to be held on October 25th in Herten, Germany. Herten is in the Ruhr area, very close to The Netherlands.

I also got my copy ;)
Unfortunately one of the disks is not readable. There is a physical damage on its surface. Do you know to whom I should contact in this case?
Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Jozsi

Edited by skr
  • Like 1

Hi Jozsi,

please contact Wolfgang Burger directly. Or go to the members section of the ABBUC website, the Disk images are there for download.

A problem some users face: Side 2 of the magazine disc (118) is not bootable! In the printed magazine it is written in German only, so let me explain it in English:

Side 2 of Disk 1 (Labeled magazine 118, the other disc is labeled "48" as special magazine) is NOT BOOTABLE! It actually is the Level disc for Dimo´s Quest and can only be used with Dimo´s Quest.

To play Dimo´s Quest you have to load the game from Side 1 of that disc (find it in the menu). First you see the title screen with music. Press Fire and the start screen will be loaded. After it is loaded you have to insert the level disc (Side 2 of Disc 1) and then you can start playing by pressing Fire again.

There is a level editor (Windows only) available from the author which means that you can create your own level disks. More levels will be available after the annual meeting, which is to be held on October 25th in Herten, Germany. Herten is in the Ruhr area, very close to The Netherlands.

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. The problem is that I cannot boot from either side of that disk.

The other disk is fine: 1st side two games and docs, the other side is a demo.

That sounds odd.

The second disc (labeled "48") should contain four (4) games (Nemezyro, RGB, RampRage and Ransack) and docs on side one and that demo on side two. Please check the ABBUC Forum members area for the ATRs or contact Wolfgang to get new discs.

The backside of Disk 48 doesn't work here. It boots some sectors, then it hangs stuck... after pressing Break sometimes a menu with garbage shows up.

It's something with XBIOS, I might do things wrong... but I suspect a problem with that side.

I'll check the ATR's.

Many people are indeed poor for reasons beyond their control these days 'medical', 'economy', 'deaths', and on and on.... some of us are no longer 'well off'... so I understand Mclaneinc... all too well....

Instead of saying we won't translate to English.. or we won't make NTSC translation... or pay... Could more members happen this way?...

^^how about asking a person to help translate?^^ ^^explain why it can't or move some code^^ ***see below***

Maybe a Bit Byters Honorary membership awarded to those who are truely incapable of paying for those who contribute to the community in a great way like Mclaneinc or a donate to help another join campaign would help... or a trial membership system to show how great ABBUC is.... nothing super just long enough to get a taste of what all the amazing benefits are.

Please understand and don't look down on someone unless you walk a few miles in their shoes...

Dann bis später.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Sorry, I didn't even realise the voting wasn't finished, oops, foot in my big gob..

As for ABBUC, I'd love to be a member but as most know I'm partially disabled and suffer numerous medical issues, my wife is a carer which also is low paid, all in all its a miracle I can get the internet, we gave up loads of the normal treats people have, thankfully neither of us smoke, we might get the odd bottle of very cheap wine to have with food in a month but everything is on a mega tight budget.

We also as some know have the anguish of our daughter becoming very dangerously ill just over a week ago, she's now in a special hospital just outside London and will be there for some time, its only the brilliant help form my mother in law that enables us to get the train to see her twice a week.

As much as I love all things Atari 8bit there's only just so much money to go around....

A few pictures of the higher Levels of "Dimo's Quest in ABBUC Land"... Have fun...

For NON-ABBUC-Members:

You may download the game and the level-editor "Purzel" (windows-based) for free from my website:

http://www.talios.de/dimo

But you have to wait until the ABBUC anual meeting took place: From 26th october 2014 the download will be available...

I hope, many people will have fun with the game.
And i DO hope, many people will create their own Level and SHARE them with the Atari community. :-)

post-38160-0-84402400-1413545703_thumb.png post-38160-0-84872900-1413545707_thumb.png post-38160-0-15007000-1413545711_thumb.png post-38160-0-21601600-1413545716_thumb.png post-38160-0-95905100-1413545717_thumb.png post-38160-0-67466000-1413545719_thumb.png post-38160-0-55996200-1413545721_thumb.png post-38160-0-31432900-1413545723_thumb.png post-38160-0-95023500-1413545724_thumb.png post-38160-0-44134500-1413545728_thumb.png

Edited by 8Bitjunkie
  • Like 3

I'd join ABBUC but I don't have a PAL Atari or speak German. The only German speaker in the family learned it in the 1940s and died in 2005 ;-)

I do have a lot of respect for ABBUC though as they've managed to keep it going all these years.

Will Dimo's quest run on NTSC machines?

• Like 1

Just FYI, the final after-contest release of RGB is now ready for publication on October 26 and will be compatible with NTSC machines.

The graphics in RGB are awesome! Music is cool too. I will definitely be playing the hell out of that one! Dimo's Quest too if it'll run.

You guys did Thetris too didn't you? Best Tetris clone ever for an 8-bit IMHO.

• Like 2

Our game RGB will be downloadable for free of course as all our other productions.

Small request: Could you change the controls so that the trigger is responsible for jumping and pushing up is shoot? ATM jumping is IMHO quite tedious and other moves during fire seems to be prohibited anyway(?). (Maybe it's only me, but I don't like jumping by directional input - I had/have the same problems with 'Ridiculous Reality'.)

• Like 1

Small request: Could you change the controls so that the trigger is responsible for jumping and pushing up is shoot? ATM jumping is IMHO quite tedious and other moves during fire seems to be prohibited anyway(?). (Maybe it's only me, but I don't like jumping by directional input - I had/have the same problems with 'Ridiculous Reality'.)

I'll check this with MaPa. Perhaps some hidden option could be implemented. Though the current behaviour will be default.

Edited by pseudografx
  • Like 1

I'd join ABBUC but I don't...speak German.

Yeah. I recently got all excited about joining ABBUC and even posted a couple of rants evangelizing the practice. But once I learned that the magazine wasn't distributed in English, I kinda went away quietly. If ABBUC wants to attract English speakers who can't read German, they really need to consider translation to the more..."central" language.

• Like 2

Yeah. I recently got all excited about joining ABBUC and even posted a couple of rants evangelizing the practice. But once I learned that the magazine wasn't distributed in English, I kinda went away quietly. If ABBUC wants to attract English speakers who can't read German, they really need to consider translation to the more..."central" language.

You don't know what you miss, if you only use one language.

The main reason I am an abbuc member is because I want to support them with my paid contribution. Abbuc is important for us Atari 8bit Lovers.

And although I read German like it was my native language (but I can't speak or write it very well) I read no more than 10% of the magazine. The magazine is cool, but most information is also everywhere on the internet.

I appreciate their support, and fabulous projects like this annual software contest. And that's why I'm a member.

Don't concentrate on that language thing please. Their forum is English and German, so you can always discuss about their development in English.

• Like 3