IGNORED

ABBUC Software-Contest 2014

skr

You don't know what you miss, if you only use one language.

Truer words have never been spoken. I speak and write English fluently and I am a functional Spanish speaker. Even that limited exposure to a second language has gifted me a whole different view of the world. It's not just about the words and their meanings. Different languages paint altogether different pictures; in new colors that quite often are simply IMPOSSIBLE to translate. I think this is especially true when translating anything to English, given that the language is a terse and modernized conglomeration of so many other lingual influences.

• Like 3

Truer words have never been spoken. I speak and write English fluently and I am a functional Spanish speaker. Even that limited exposure to a second language has gifted me a whole different view of the world. It's not just about the words and their meanings. Different languages paint altogether different pictures; in new colors that quite often are simply IMPOSSIBLE to translate. I think this is especially true when translating anything to English, given that the language is a terse and modernized conglomeration of so many other lingual influences.

Very true, German opened my eyes up somewhat. I find that the language will have a different way of saying something similar and it is a nice slant on how we would say it.

As for anyone learning a language, if you want to learn German then I recommend using the ABBUC magazine as somewhere to learn from. The reason that I say that was that when I was first in Germany (and speaking no words of German other than "Ein bier bitte"), I used to go to the football matches (VfB Stuttgart) and I used to get their magazine for the game. After the game, I would take it home and try to read it, using a dictionary for virtually every word. I then learned a lot of terms and bettered my language from that.

It was good because I -enjoyed- the content and so I wanted to do it more and more. I guess that you will all enjoy Atari content and a lot of the words are obvious.

Take a look at this post from Mr Bacardi on the ABBUC forum for example.....

"

Hi,

ich suche Draconus von Zeppelin Games / Cognito zu zivilem Preis.

Egal ob Disc oder Cass. Version.

Viele Grüße,

- Mr.B. -

"

You will need a dictionary for a few of the words, but this is half understandable for somebody who speaks no German. Just get a dictionary for the other words and you're off running...

Edited by snicklin
  • Like 3

The main reason I am an abbuc member is because I want to support them with my paid contribution. Abbuc is important for us Atari 8bit Lovers.

And although I read German like it was my native language (but I can't speak or write it very well) I read no more than 10% of the magazine. The magazine is cool, but most information is also everywhere on the internet.

I appreciate their support, and fabulous projects like this annual software contest. And that's why I'm a member.

Don't concentrate on that language thing please. Their forum is English and German, so you can always discuss about their development in English.

Me too. I don't speak a word in German. I only check the pictures in the MAG ;) Sometimes there is an English article in it too.

My mother used to teach German to grown ups in evening school and in 'high school' ... When I was at the age of five she already let me watch German television like 'Die Sendung mit der Maus (Lach und Sach Geschichte)' (the program with the mouse (stories to laugh and learn) and 'Spass am Dienstag' (fun at Tuesday )

That's where I learned my German understanding being a kid. Very useful I must say. I still enjoy watching German television due to this.

My biggest problem is that I hardly speak or write it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gTCbRysXM1k

Edited by ProWizard

Any news of the contest and how it's shaping up?

Well ... there will be a voting at the annual ABBUC Meeting. That will be upcoming Saturday. October 25th.

There are 6 game titles and 7 hardware projects.

Game titles:

1) Dimo's Quest

2) Joe Painter

3) Ransack

4) RGB

5) Nemezyro

6) Ramp Rage

Hardware titles:

1) Sio2BT

2) Midi-Joy

3) MegaSpeedy

4) Multi-Joy Hub

5) Sys-Check II

6) Debug-Anzeige

7) CXB-14

Although there are less titles (games) compared to other years, the games are very cool and do meet a very high quality level this year.

I have 3 absolute favorite games in a choice of six, and I really can not decide which one is best (!).

The other 3 are really nice too. There is one game in TurboBasic. How cool is that? And although that game does not have the best looks, the gameplay is really awesome.

When it comes to hardware, I always find it hard to vote on a distance (I will not be at the meeting). There are a few of these projects that have my interest quite a lot. I think that Sys-Check II and Debug-Anzeige are two projects that are really something I would use. Then there is that Sio2BlueTooth which can be excellent too (especially since my sio2pc interfaces seem to blow up all the time, probably something going on with the grounding in my house) ... And then there is this extremely cool MegaSpeedy. Aargh... I really can not decide.

So... although less titles... very much fun and very much potential this year.

Looking forward for the results and the release of some of this hardware.

I am not sure anymore... but is it or isn't it allowed to post my vote here before the actual voting has taken place?

There is no rule as such, but I guess the last year it was agreed not to do so.

It might influence other peoples votes. But do as you like until someone makes a rule of it :)

And yes, everybody should learn German. I was told from several people that it is an "harsh" language.

Not so "fluffy" like French. So you might want to speak German when you want to be harsh :)

A rather strong exaggeration but funny non the less :)

• Like 5

I can show you the source of ballblazer on the ABBUC annual meeting next saturday, if you like...

Too bad I can't come! It's my birthday saturday and we have invited some friends and relatives.

Maybe I could pop over between lunch and desserts.. (it's only a 4h drive from Stuttgart after all..)