IGNORED

Where do you play your Lynx?

Rick Dangerous

So this thread is in no way related to any technical specifications or games really. The point of handhelds is to be able to game on the go, or in places where a TV/Console is not available. My idea behind this thread is to hear where you all enjoy playing your Lynx. I know one of the things I enjoy most about my Lynx is playing it on the go and out and about. Please share your Lynx locations and stories!!

Okay I will start.

1. I love playing my lynx in the cabin of my boat. I am somewhat fair-skinned and once I have got enough sun I like to duck below, throw some life jackets behind my back, and play an hour or two of Lynx. I won't lie if it's a sunny day I like California Games, Hydra, and Paperboy. Maybe even a little scrapyard dog. Nothing beats hearing the water lap up against the boat and feeling the slight rock of the waves as you play some Lynx on a nice day.

2. I love to take the Lynx on flights when I travel. An airplane is a great place to sit still and hammer out a few hours of Bill & Teds or ElectroCop. Klax and Shanghai can be fun if you just want to relax and kill some time. I love playing Lynx in public too because it's a conversation starter and you can spread the Atari Gospel a bit to total strangers. Either that or people just give you sideways looks as they play on their Galaxy Tablets haha.

3. I enjoy playing my Lynx in bed. Either on a lazy afternoon or late at night, I'll plug in the AC adaptor, put a bunch of stuffy pillows behind me, and throw in a set of skull candy headphones and just jam on the Lynx, either for a few minutes or for a few hours, depending on the situation. It's been rainy here lately in Vermont and nothing is better than curling up in bed and chilling out on the Lynx.

• Like 1

Personally I play it indoors 99% of the time. I can play ouside well enough wifh the sun visor, and I do so in the garden... but I never put batteries in Lynx. I'm too stingy for that, and I grew up using my GB with the rechargable adaptor too (every kid around me had one), so I just never got used to having to buy batteries for playing.

I should try it out usig the Naki rechargeable adaptor for the Lynx. Will be interesting to see kids' reaction to the old warship we call the Lynx.^^

Primarily on road trips. I don't take many of them, so as a result the Lynx doesn't get much play. I brought it with me to the TooManyGames expo this past weekend and I bought 6 more games. Got some playing time in at the expo and later when I got home.

Lynx is my favorite handheld. For me it's the perfect size. GameBoy is too small for these hands.

Right :) in a way, I have a "season" for non-lit handhelds.

I like how you describe how you play Lynx in the cabin of your boat.

After work, i often go out cycling for an hour or two around the local seas/little lakes, and ultimately, lie down on some meadow and play a bit, mostly a quick puzzler. Normally, it´s the Wonderswan and the Gameboy Pocket that go with me on these occasions....never the Lynx or Gamegear, I´m afraid I find it too hard to see ANYthing there being outside with summer sunlight around, til way after 9 PM these early July days. So, is it worth getting the sunshade? Because in all my normal indoor gaming places, too, it is simply not so comfortable / too bright on an uncloudy summer day (which are rare lol) even indoors well before ca. 8:30 PM these days for "serious" Lynx/Gamegear gaming...I´d really have to close the curtains because of the reflections.

Edited by Atari_afternoon

In bed, on the sofa with the kids. Had one with me in hospital. Although eneloops have eased the battery problem, I usually play with a power supply as I'm too lazy to keep the eneloops charged (rationalizing this with less wear and tear for the battery compartments, of course ;-))

• 2 weeks later...

I think the only place I've ever played a Lynx since I got one in the 90s was on whatever bed I was sleeping on at the time. I've never put batteries in my Lynx II. When I travel for work these days I either bring my GBA SP or DS Lite.

Right :) in a way, I have a "season" for non-lit handhelds.

I like how you describe how you play Lynx in the cabin of your boat.

After work, i often go out cycling for an hour or two around the local seas/little lakes, and ultimately, lie down on some meadow and play a bit, mostly a quick puzzler. Normally, it´s the Wonderswan and the Gameboy Pocket that go with me on these occasions....never the Lynx or Gamegear, I´m afraid I find it too hard to see ANYthing there being outside with summer sunlight around, til way after 9 PM these early July days. So, is it worth getting the sunshade? Because in all my normal indoor gaming places, too, it is simply not so comfortable / too bright on an uncloudy summer day (which are rare lol) even indoors well before ca. 8:30 PM these days for "serious" Lynx/Gamegear gaming...I´d really have to close the curtains because of the reflections.

Reading this brought back a lot of memories :) after high school I worked late into the night a lot. I would rollerblade back and forth to work, between home and work was a small park with a streetlight, I would stop there and relax playing my gameboy under the streetlight. Good memories.

My Lynx gets the most play time in the living room on the couch. The boys and I will take turns playing console and handheld games in the evenings, a lot of good times :)

• 4 months later...

I just got my Lynx II in the mail today with California Games (I've missed owning one, mine got stolen in 1991), It was a great Christmas gift to myself (It seems like the past few years, I've been getting either a console or hand-held for Christmas every year, last year it was a Neo-Geo AES, year before that it was a Wii U). I got a trip coming up in May of next year and gives me plenty of time to acquire games. I have "Chips Challenge" arriving tomorrow and next game I order will probably be Rampart. I also want to get some of the arcade classics like Klax, Ms Pac-Man, Joust and Qix. I'm glad that the majority of Lynx games are cheap. I found a few lots on eBay with 3 games for less than $20. I've got my eye on an auction that ends tomorrow that I *MAY* get if it doesn't get too expensive. It's a lot of 5 games but it has a Lynx with it. If i find a decent price on a lot of games that includes a Lynx, i'll go for it. It can't hurt to have a spare Lynx around. I'll just get more rechargeable batteries (some eneloops at that)