IGNORED

Controllers. Good, bad, ugly?

danny_galaga

Here is a link to the 2600 Connection controller FAQ:

http://www.2600connection.com/faq/controllers/faq_controllers.html

Featured are pretty much every single controller known. If you see some that are not listed, please let me know.

Tim

Great list, Tim. I saw many controllers I never knew about. I especially enjoyed seeing the Fyre-Ball in the accessory listing. I ordered those by mail as a kid and still have one of them. I've never seen them since, so that was the litmus test for your list; very impressive. However, I didn't see the Gemstik 2 on there. Here's a link to one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-Gemstik-2-Joystick-Controller-/221427791942?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item338e1ff846

I prefer the Competition Pro (normal size, the mini ones' switches break easily and they are too small for my hands anyway), and as a second choice I would take the Konix Speedking (aka Epyx 500XJ to those who live on the wrong side of the pond).

Third choice - this is a tough one - would be either a clone of the Wico bat handle stick called the Turbo Arcade (it has micro switches instead of the Wico's leaf switches and a second fire button on its base for left-handed players) and the metal cased joysticks sold as the Multi-Function 1001/2002 under different OEMs.

I prefer the Competition Pro (normal size, the mini ones' switches break easily and they are too small for my hands anyway), and as a second choice I would take the Konix Speedking (aka Epyx 500XJ to those who live on the wrong side of the pond).

Third choice - this is a tough one - would be either a clone of the Wico bat handle stick called the Turbo Arcade (it has micro switches instead of the Wico's leaf switches and a second fire button on its base for left-handed players) and the metal cased joysticks sold as the Multi-Function 1001/2002 under different OEMs.

I did have an Epyx (it's in the donate to Goodwill pile now), but I broke the darn thing! I was going intently on one of my games, and I felt it "crack" on the inside. It's somewhat usable, but not too much. Nice joystick, but I'll stick with the Slik Stik!

I try to use the classic stick when possible. Right now, the Genesis gamepad is the only decent option I have to play 7800 games (with an adaptor to get 2-button play) and I also use one in our family room. (I put a 2600 out there for the kids and we just swipe my daughter's Genesis pads.) In my room, though, the CX-40 is the king of joysticks.

I hated the discomfort caused by fighting with a CX-40 that had worn-down dome contacts within, so I opened it up, removed the old contacts and soldered down some momentary contact switches to the board. That and a little action with the dremel made the world of difference. The control is positively silky now with no resistance. It's clicky now, but that's hardly something I complain about given how well this stick plays on my consoles and 8-bits.

If I remember correctly I used this (Quickshot Model no:QS-128F ), I do like the original vcs atari joysticks and remember cramp very well back then. Even stranger things can happen like people suddenly getting urges to bite the end of their stick :/

Edited by R.O.T.S

I just bought an old Epyx joystick for $4 at a retro game store at my local mall. I never used one before... not exactly the most comfortable, but I like the "clicky" action of the joystick and button. Does that thing have microswitches inside?

I just bought an old Epyx joystick for $4 at a retro game store at my local mall. I never used one before... not exactly the most comfortable, but I like the "clicky" action of the joystick and button. Does that thing have microswitches inside?

I believe so

What kind of epyx is it? I picked up a 500xj a little while back. It does have some nice clicky micro switches. I like the stick a lot buts its still a hand cramper even though they tried to make it very ergonomic.

Competition Pro 500. It's been serving me since 1989 or so, and is still in perfect order.

Depending on the particular piece, you might need a little lubricant under the ring between the shaft and the main body (otherwise it might "squeek" a bit), but that's about it.

Other than that, I like the "arcade'y" SV133 or SV135, depends on your hands' size. I modded mine a bit, as the original one was very stiff, and now it's my second favourite.

• 2 weeks later...