IGNORED

AA Site Survey: Atari Jaguar and Jaguar CD Owners

NeoGeoNinja

Atari Jaguar Ownership Survey  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own an Atari Jaguar/Jaguar CD?

• I own an Atari Jaguar (at least one!)
    • I own an Atari Jaguar and the Jaguar CD (at least one of each!)
  2. 2. Do you have a preference re: Cartridges and CD's?

• I prefer buying games on Cart > CD - I am happy owning ONLY the Jaguar
    • I prefer buying games on CD > Cart, where available, as I own the Jag CD too
    • I am happy to buy either/both Cart's and CD's, but am more in favour of CD releases, tbh
    • I am happy to buy either/both Cart's and CD's, but am more in favour of Cart releases, tbh

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This has no doubt been done before, but I want to try and get the point of this survey across as best as possible:

Basically, I just wanted to open a survey to gauge:

• How many people/members, here at AA, have/use an Atari Jaguar (seems obvious, I know)
  • What their preferences are regarding Cart & CD and, indeed, whether they indeed own (at least one) a Jag CD unit

This is basically just serving as a general survey poll to be honest. Maybe just to try and get some numbers down too, seeing as this place, as far as I can tell, id the No.1 spot for all discussions Atari - Jaguar, 2600 and otherwise.

Will be interesting to see how many people pop their head round and say "Yeah, I have a Jaguar" and similarly interesting to see if they say "...and a Jaguar CD too".

I've thrown in a secondary question concerning format preferences - whether it be from a gaming or purchasing perspective.

Be sure to drop a post down, just to say that you have contributed. I get that there are individuals who are members, browse forums and prefer NOT to post/contribute, but if even those members can just post with the word "Voted" or similar, then that would be great.

Also, there's no need to disclose your personal votes/choices as the poll is completely private/anonymous. We all know that the whole "I prefer carts because Jag CD's break" vs "Jag CD is great and works fine - you're just using it wrong!" will just kick off in unnecessary directions, so there's no real need to go there... is there? :-D

I prefer CD games because I have never had an issue with my JagCD and CD games are usually significantly cheaper and easier to get. Being a Jaguar owner can be expensive and discouraging as there are some games that are practically not obtainable. Besides the more games there are for the CD unit the more I can enjoy it.

I currently only have a Jaguar, which I have a hell of a time trying to get to work properly as is. I know it use to work, and it's likely a result of the newer TVs that I have and all that.

So naturally if I were to get jaguar releases, it would be on cart.

I'd get a Jaguar CD if they were within my budget, but they aren't and haven't been for quite a while. If I were to get a jag CD though, I'd probably only be interested in CD releases if they were pressed discs. Honestly don't know if burnt discs work in the Jag CD or not anyhow.

I only have it for gaming interests. Not that it's easy to find games to play on it where I live anymore and again, having problems with connecting the jaguar anyhow.

I prefer CD games because I have never had an issue with my JagCD and CD games are usually significantly cheaper and easier to get. Being a Jaguar owner can be expensive and discouraging as there are some games that are practically not obtainable. Besides the more games there are for the CD unit the more I can enjoy it.

Agreed!

Casted my vote btw. :)

Voted.

I buy CDs and carts. I like to buy carts more as it just feels that you are getting more for your money, even though your really not.

LOL. You'll have to get even more used to this in 2014 onwards, as you're lucky to have devs/publishers, nowadays, give you ANYTHING physical, for your hard earned cash!

ALSO...

25 Jag owners on AA thus far!!! \ o /

Edited by NeoGeoNinja

The cart vs. CD question is tricky. I'd prefer CD's normally as you typically 'should' get more bang for your buck, but what it really boils down to is cost efficiency. I prefer not to pay high prices (anything over $40, I consider high) for releases so therefore, am more attracted to the CD option.

I put CD as a preference, because they are readily available, plus cheaper and less headaches for developers.

I always hear the "I can't afford a jaguar CD" argument from people who like carts. Well how many homebrews do you buy on cart? Because if you get two or three of them, that's the price of a refurbished jag CD right there. And then you can burn games and it pays for itself. For example, Downfall Plus came out recently on cart, and I had to pass it up because it was like $80 bucks, even though I really wanted it. Philia just came out on CD and I was able to do $40, which is awesome. Most Jag CD games are really accessible in that $25-$40 range. Additionally, games that are done as carts are typically done in much lower run numbers, and are thus inaccessible to most. I would love a copy of Another World right now, but they are long gone and who know's if we'll ever see another print run? The prequel to Philia called Elansar, had a production run of about 100 carts, and isn't really readily available(will be soon on Jag CD thankfully.) Whereas Philia was printed in a run of 300 and will be available for people who just find out about it a few month from now. I know Orion is stressed about having 300 on his hands, but they will sell and people are lucky to have them available.

So anyway, that's why I voted for CD. Good game prices, as well as ease of procurement and production for developers.

• Like 1

I prefer cartridges over CDs. There's something more tangible about cartridges, and I grew up with cartridge-based systems so I guess I'm a bit of a stalwart as far as that goes. Bootup and access times are much faster on a cartridge, and I feel they will last much longer than CD-based media. And CD-based media is less durable. As are the mechanical CD drives (which have continued to be problematic even with newer game consoles). I'm willing to pay more for cartridge-baesd homebrew games versus CDs.

However, I understand that CDs are much cheaper to produce than cartridges, which is an important consideration for homebrew games. The decision for homebrew authors to use CDs versus cartridges for a release would not affect my decision to purchase the game.

..Al

• Like 2

I prefer cartridges over CDs.

All things being equal I agree with this whole heartedly! I was gaming exclusively on cartridges until the GameCube came out. I do prefer them as a physical medium to the CD.

However in the case of the Atari Jaguar, because of the difficulty and expense of tracking down/producing the physical components for cartridges, and the eventual expense and rarity of such releases, I (personally) would prefer CD.

• Like 1

Considering the Another World Fiasco and the entanglements with cartridge releases, I think I need to change my vote to leaning towards CD.

All things being equal I agree with this whole heartedly! I was gaming exclusively on cartridges until the GameCube came out. I do prefer them as a physical medium to the CD.

However in the case of the Atari Jaguar, because of the difficulty and expense of tracking down/producing the physical components for cartridges, and the eventual expense and rarity of such releases, I (personally) would prefer CD.