IGNORED

Pal games on NTSC

borntorun

I've played them on my Harmony cart. CRT rolls. My 2006 Sanyo HDTV displays "NTSC 50Hz" just fine but crops the bottom off. Colors are also wrong on PAL ROMs. Best not to mix 'n' match... :P

I've got a question, about your 2600 are you using a moded system with A/V out or are you just using the RF out?

Edited by walter_J64bit

It's just an old-school RF-out. I didn't know that they were PAL games until I got home, with the exception of Fatal Run, which I knew was never released NTSC. However, I was a bit suspicious of finding all of these cool boxed games which are quite rare to find NTSC. I don't mind having them, even if I can only play them in black and white

Regarding PAL/NTSC, I have a few oddities in my collection.

One, is a SQ:EarthWorld with the PAL solution, but it is as far as I can tell an NTSC Cart, that is, it plays fine on my system (I live in Canada) and there are none of the standard PAL markings on the Cart.

As well, I have two "International Version" Activision Carts, Pitfall and Dragster. I looked them up on AtariMania to get some idea of rarity versus the standard labels, and it's stated there that the "International Version" Activision carts were PAL versions.

These as well have none of the typical PAL markings and they run fine on my system as well.

Edited by Torr

I've got a question, about your 2600 are you using a moded system with A/V out or are you just using the RF out?

RF only; direct connect. No switchbox. My 2006 Sanyo HDTV seems to be extremely fault tolerant of off-spec signals. It literally displays anything you throw at it, although native PAL via composite will display only in grayscale. I ran a 2600 program that adjust the scanlines and my HDTV is completely roll-proof. Sadly, there overscan as well as slight lag with the set but it's only noticeable on certain games which require twitch reflexes like SMUPs and stuff.

I have a PAL console and a bunch of NTSC games that have the classic issues with black&white, wrong colors and such. Never mix and match as they say. Your only hope is to get hold of a PAL console, as my only hope is to get hold of a NTSC console :-P

As you can seen from the replies, it's basically anything goes when it comes to PAL in an NTSC console. It depends on the game and your TV. I own a bunch of supposed PAL games (things that never had NTSC releases, or so I'm led to believe) that seem to play fine on my regular TVs - it's fairly tolerant of odd scanline counts and such. I have others that tend to give B&W depending on the set. Still others show the classic "PAL colours", and these usually suffer from rolling. For this last set I hook my 2600 into an old Commodore 1084 monitor that has adjustable v-hold, and I can stabilize the image and play them just fine.

Most of this I've played around with a composite-modded vader. Not sure how much difference it would make over RF, except for a bit of signal strength - I carefully colour-calibrate every mod I do. Fortunately every CRT I own handles weak luma pretty well.

• Like 1