IGNORED

Who had the dumb idea to market the Jaguar as 64-bit when it really wasn't?

Prosystemsearch

Why ignore me? Jaguars sound system was not 64 bit, it was only 16-bit like the Super NES, and the Sega Mega Drive. It's CPU might be 64 bit in some ways, I'll admit. But the graphics chip was only 32 bit. More of a hybrid if you ask me.

blah blah... blahblahblah... blblblblabaablablablaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhasdlfkja;lskddfkljasldjkfkgjeklja;lkjsdklfjklajdszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Next topic, please.

Yeah what he said...................Prosystemsearch you are not even TRYING to be convincing at this point. Been there , done that OVER AND OVER...........

• Like 2

Been very tempted admittedly but in the end I have this sad fascination with watching train wrecks or just seeing how idiotic a person gets with their posts otherwise I'd have had a few people here on ignore ages ago. Also I would hate to miss the epicness such threads sometimes evolve into.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

I still think http://www.hillsoftware.com/files/atari/jaguar/jag_v8.pdf

is an enlightening reading.

"Jaguar contains two custom chips, code-named Tom and Jerry.

For graphics, Tom contains the Object Processor, the Blitter and the Graphics Processor. For sound, Jerry
holds the Digital Sound Processor. In addition to these, there is an external CPU, currently a 68000. When
animating graphics there are therefore four processing elements, all of which have got specific roles to play. "

The fact that it had a 64-bit DRAM bus didn't help as much as they hoped. Unless your memory needs were completely linear, the wait states absolutely killed you. I don't consider the 64-bit thing to be a lie, I just think it's a meaningless spec in a modern console because there are so many different subsystems.

• Like 3