IGNORED

I Launch My First Game: Heartbreak

I'd love to pick this one up (looks good, and it's only a buck), but apparently my old Android phone is just too old to handle it. I have other Android devices, but none of them have Play store access. Any plans for any other Android marketplaces? It would seem like it would be a good fit for the Humble Store.

Edited by Karyyk

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's replies!

Heartbreak just got its first two reviews posted today:

“It’s a smooth mother with great looks, a lot to offer the causal gamer, and plenty of interactive action to boot.” – AndroidAppsReview.com

“Difficult, but good-looking and sounding and with plenty of modes and levels, Heartbreak is a tricky little gem of a game.” –TheSmartphoneAppReview.com

I'd love to pick this one up (looks good, and it's only a buck), but apparently my old Android phone is just too old to handle it. I have other Android devices, but none of them have Play store access. Any plans for any other Android marketplaces? It would seem like it would be a good fit for the Humble Store.

I'll have to look into the possibilities. Thanks for the request! I'm a bit limited in some ways as Heartbreak was made in Gamemaker, so I don't have direct control over the source code, but I'll see if I can put it on the Amazon and Humble Stores. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep things like achievements or a leaderboard, though... I'll need to see what's possible.

I don't have a smart phone. Is this compatible with Etch A Sketch?

Everything is compatible with Etch.

• Like 2

The music is great. I will need to exercise my brain to get used to the color matching. Anything that makes me feel like my noggin is having to work is great. I love rotating the bars around. It makes me feel like I have a lot more control than in a game like breakout. I got to level 7 and now I'm struggling a bit. I think I'll beat it (I got close a couple times) but the difficulty curve is just perfect, with each new stage introducing a new element.

The strategy seems to be to knock the two-color bars first before focusing on clearing. is it possible for the heart to select a color you've already fully cleared? (i.e. if I just have purple, blue, and red, will yellow cycle back in?)

I like the use of achievements and leaderboards. I'll make sure to leave positive feedback on the GP Store.

Nice little game cybearg, but I've enjoyed all the stuff you've posted on here so I'm not surprised this is good too.

I have an android tablet so I'll give it a go.

I just recently got an Android tablet, I'll have to check this out!

Thanks, guys! Let me know if anything's wrong. It MAY not be available for tablets, but I'm not sure. I'd like it to be, but I might have to release a patched version with ultra-high-res graphics before it will pass Google's tablet app requirements (currently the graphics max at 1080p).

The music is great. I will need to exercise my brain to get used to the color matching. Anything that makes me feel like my noggin is having to work is great. I love rotating the bars around. It makes me feel like I have a lot more control than in a game like breakout. I got to level 7 and now I'm struggling a bit. I think I'll beat it (I got close a couple times) but the difficulty curve is just perfect, with each new stage introducing a new element.

The strategy seems to be to knock the two-color bars first before focusing on clearing. is it possible for the heart to select a color you've already fully cleared? (i.e. if I just have purple, blue, and red, will yellow cycle back in?)

I like the use of achievements and leaderboards. I'll make sure to leave positive feedback on the GP Store.

Nice little game cybearg, but I've enjoyed all the stuff you've posted on here so I'm not surprised this is good too.

Thanks so much for the response! I greatly appreciate any feedback, particularly in the Google Play store, and any retweeting or sharing of the game is that much better!

I'm glad to hear that the difficulty curve is good. Assuming you're playing the full version, the first time you play you will only ever be given colors from the inner-most row of blocks--never anything beyond. However, once you beat the first 23 levels and unlock new game plus, you can get colors for any block that's exposed. That is, if you break away a few blocks from the first row, you may get colors from the exposed blocks in the second row. This makes it a bit more challenging for people who have mastered it the "easy" way. :)

Heartbreak was originally conceived during the 2013 Game Jam (the heart theme of Heartbreak was the theme for Surgeon Simulator as well). Then, for whatever crazy reason, I decided I wanted to try making it for the 2600, to prove how simple, yet elegant the game's design was. I'm really glad I did--the gameplay got a couple major overhauls thanks to my work with the Atari 2600 version. Also, those of you with an ear for retro games may recognize the Android version's sound effects...