IGNORED

2600 Games with Best "Attract Mode"

wiseguyusa

Not all of my 2600's are fully functional. What I want to do is put carts like Pac Man Jr that have coin-op style "Attract mode"in the partially functional systems for the display. Any suggestions?

Edited by wiseguyusa

Kangaroo is so bad that it's good. The main player is just jumping and moving to the right even when blocked by the wall, until death. This is repeated infinitely.

Visually impressive is Moon Patrol, Dig Dug, and Centipede. All of these are very 'arcade-like' in their attract mode.

Edited by sloth-machine
  • Like 2

Not to be overly vain, but in Strat-O-Gems is used with an AtariVox or other EEPROM device in port 2, the attract mode will show the play which resulted in the deepest combination and the play which yielded the most points. One day I left my nephew alone with that cartridge, and when he told me he'd gotten a 7-deep combination I might not have believed him except that the attract mode showed his amazing play.

• Like 2

Adventures of Tron: great opposite flowing color rainbows

Atlantis: flying spaceships

Battlezone: autoplay, very colorful, lots of motion

Bugs Bunny: title / brief game play

California Games: scrolling text, lots of rainbow colors and playfield animation, repetitive music

Carnival: gameplay

Cosmic Ark: gameplay

Decathlon: running man with torch, scrolling infinite stadium

Demon Attack: game play

Dig Dug: "arcade" mode

Enduro: driving through the scenery

Fast Food: game play

Laser Gates: game play

Millipede: game play/arcade title look

Miner 2049er: screen tour

Moonsweeper: moving sprites

Night Driver: drivin' at night!

Phoenix: game play

Pooyan: game play with color shifting

Quickstep!: game play

Rampage: arcade attract mode

Realsports Boxing: game play

Realsports Tennis: game play / title

Solar Fox: game play (sort of) / title

Spacemaster X-7: game play

Spaceshuttle: lazy orbiting

Spider Fighter: game play

Sword Quest: Earthworld: cool sword

Tapper: game play

Time Pilot: flying around with color shifting

Track and Field: game play / title

Trickshot: balls moving on table

Turmoil: game play

Vanguard: game play

Worm War 1: noisy game play

• 5 months later...

I'll second Ms. Pac-man

I also like Double Dunk's attract mode

I decided to spend some time with Double Dunk today and for whatever reason remembered this thread. The attract mode on this guy is awesome! The music is good without being too overbearing, and the little guys dancing to it really push it over the top. Wish I'd have given this game more love sooner.

• 3 weeks later...

It was never the worst game of all time, you're mistaken.

I think there would be less semantical arguments about this if people just replaced the word "worst game" with "worst failed game". It's just like Ishtar isn't the world's worst movie but it's probably right up there as one of the worst failures because of its backing and the hype. That's pretty much why ET has the reputation it does, because it was such a high profile property. There are plenty of 2600 games that have worse gameplay than ET, especially if you include the early titles like Basic Math or Street Racer.

I think there would be less semantical arguments about this if people just replaced the word "worst game" with "worst failed game". It's just like Ishtar isn't the world's worst movie but it's probably right up there as one of the worst failures because of its backing and the hype. That's pretty much why ET has the reputation it does, because it was such a high profile property. There are plenty of 2600 games that have worse gameplay than ET, especially if you include the early titles like Basic Math or Street Racer.

Not to change the subject, but Shenmue wins for worst failed game, at least from what I read. The budget was speculated between 50-70 million, and returned less than 1/4. I remember reading they would have to sell 2 copies to every Dreamcast owner to start turning a profit. Sega in the 90's had 'Atari logic' and it was their downfall.