IGNORED

Rocket Pod FINAL VERSION

RHillFake

I have decided to finish Rocket Pod!

It has 6 levels. When you beat it and play again, the ship will move faster.

It is a simple yet very difficult game. Thanks for help and suggestions by John_L, bogax, theloon, and Ataruis Maximus.

DO NOT PUT THIS ON CART (flash-cart is fine) AND DO NOT SELL!!! (Thanks :D)

Update list (from v0.8 to final):

Added player sounds

Initials

Restart delay

And other stuff I can't think of! :D

Thanks to everyone who played the game, gave feedback, and helped!

Edit: DOWNLOAD HERE FOR BEST GAMEPLAY http://rhillfakestudios.weebly.com/rocket-pod-atari.html (thanks to theloon for making the standalone)

RocketPodAtariV1.0FINAL.bin

Edited by RHillFake
  • Like 3

Wow, looks awesome!

Splash screen with music....

Multicolored player...

Thrust and thrust sound for rocket...

Explosion animation with sound...

6 levels...

...and most important... good game play !!!

For your first Atari game ever, you did a great job. You picked a challenge, but not too big of a challenge, yet challenging enough so that you have to learn... that's the trick. For your next project, try to stretch a bit by learning some new techniques,so that the more you stretch, the more you learn. Awesome job.

Rocket Pod Rocks !

• Like 1

Wow, looks awesome!

Splash screen with music....

Multicolored player...

Thrust and thrust sound for rocket...

Explosion animation with sound...

6 levels...

...and most important... good game play !!!

For your first Atari game ever, you did a great job. You picked a challenge, but not too big of a challenge, yet challenging enough so that you have to learn... that's the trick. For your next project, try to stretch a bit by learning some new techniques,so that the more you stretch, the more you learn. Awesome job.

Rocket Pod Rocks !

Thanks for your feedback! I will try something with scrolling for my next Atari game. I won't have that done anytime soon because I am learning Unity with my older brother.

It's a great first game! I finally got to level 3. Level 1 is harder than 2 & 3, it took a lot of play time to get past the first level. :)

When I get started on a project, it never feels finished. I always want to go back. :) I know you posted this as a final version, but if you're interested in making some improvements I have a few more suggestions, it's up to you. It's your game.

• I only made it to level 3. That level makes you go down and off the screen so you can't see your ship and must wait for it to scroll back from the top. After a long pause, my ship finally reappeared at the top, dropping at lightning speed and I didn't have time to react to slow it down. I'd recommend changing the Y value of the ship so when you scroll off the screen on the bottom you immediately reappear on the top. It felt like a "cheap death" to me when I was playing.
  • I like the alternate sprites for your ship. The third screen didn't have the rocket fire at the bottom for the ship. No big deal, but it'd be cool for consistency's sake.
  • Your title screen works well, but if you want to "take it to the next level" look at the titlescreen kernel. It's amazing and allows you to make commercial quality title screens. It's worth the time it takes.
  • At the end of the game, I'd have it pause and show your score and your final crash before resetting. It'll allow you to see your score and let people post high scores with a screenshot if they'd like to. You could alternately show the score that was just achieved on the title screen when you lose your lives and the game resets.
  • Like 1

It's a great first game! I finally got to level 3. Level 1 is harder than 2 & 3, it took a lot of play time to get past the first level. :)

When I get started on a project, it never feels finished. I always want to go back. :) I know you posted this as a final version, but if you're interested in making some improvements I have a few more suggestions, it's up to you. It's your game.

• I only made it to level 3. That level makes you go down and off the screen so you can't see your ship and must wait for it to scroll back from the top. After a long pause, my ship finally reappeared at the top, dropping at lightning speed and I didn't have time to react to slow it down. I'd recommend changing the Y value of the ship so when you scroll off the screen on the bottom you immediately reappear on the top. It felt like a "cheap death" to me when I was playing.
  • I like the alternate sprites for your ship. The third screen didn't have the rocket fire at the bottom for the ship. No big deal, but it'd be cool for consistency's sake.
  • Your title screen works well, but if you want to "take it to the next level" look at the titlescreen kernel. It's amazing and allows you to make commercial quality title screens. It's worth the time it takes.
  • At the end of the game, I'd have it pause and show your score and your final crash before resetting. It'll allow you to see your score and let people post high scores with a screenshot if they'd like to. You could alternately show the score that was just achieved on the title screen when you lose your lives and the game resets.

I definitely agree with you. I always want to go back. However, I am not going to work on this game any more and just work on making better games.

The way to not die is press up a few times to slow it back down in level 3. I also don't have the fire for two reasons. 1) it would make it impossible :D 2) The sound is supposed to represent an engine making a fan run boosting the ship.

The showing your score and the titlescreen kernel is definitely a good idea, but like I said up there somewhere, I am not going to work on this game any more but use these for future games.

Thanks!

Cool, something to look forward to when I get home today. Any screenshots by any chance?

I took three screenshots. (meant to post earlier but I didn't have time :P)

Title screen:

4220282_orig.jpg

Level 1:

9012385_orig.jpg

Level 2:

1596957_orig.jpg

• Like 2

I tend to like to finish a project rather than improve indefinitely. I feel the O.P. on not making more changes.

What I've sort of naturally started to do recently is make new editions. Say, the final release of Stranglehand is my free to download version. Neotokeo2001 and I came up with one or two improvements to gameplay and graphics and that is the real cartridge version.

I'd say keep doing what yer doing. Someday, when you feel up to a cartridge version, pack in the polish and improvements people have been suggesting.

• Like 2

I tend to like to finish a project rather than improve indefinitely. I feel the O.P. on not making more changes.

What I've sort of naturally started to do recently is make new editions. Say, the final release of Stranglehand is my free to download version. Neotokeo2001 and I came up with one or two improvements to gameplay and graphics and that is the real cartridge version.

I'd say keep doing what yer doing. Someday, when you feel up to a cartridge version, pack in the polish and improvements people have been suggesting.

Good idea, thanks.