IGNORED

XEGS Upgrade(s)

Theoryman

I'm used to doing rework on cheap boards... And I have the equipment to do it.

I expect by this fall we will be offering socket installs on various gear.

But I'm asking about this because I have a girlfriend who likes the look of the XEGS and doesn't mind it sitting on the coffee table beside the xbox 360. If I can put extra ram in it, I can use it as a computer in the livingroom.

--

• Like 2

B&C/myatari.com does offer an upgrade to give the XEGS 128KB for compatability with 130XE software, and there is also Candle's U1MB upgrade which has a lot more features and is available from Lotharek. More information on the U1MB can be found in the following thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/161950-ultimate1mb/?hl=%20ultimate

• Like 1

Hello theoryman

Has anybody tried this memory upgrade for the XEGS?

http://www.mathyvannisselroy.nl/memory_expansion/The%20slightly%20different%20memory.htm

http://www.holyoak.com/atari/memsch1.txt

http://www.holyoak.com/atari/schalt~1.jpg

I am also looking for schematics and a board layout for the XEGS...

Thanks.

--

I did. It works! The perfect upgrade! :-D :grin: :D

Sincerely

Mathy

Hello ApolloBoy

My upgrade still has prototype status. I'ld love to finish it and have a PCB for it made, but I'm lacking the knowledge to do so.

I personally do not like the "Ultimate 1MB" upgrade.

Sincerely

Mathy

My problem with the ulitmate 1Mb is the lack of communication. I asked a few questions on their site a few days ago....

No response...

--

Hello ApolloBoy

My upgrade still has prototype status. I'ld love to finish it and have a PCB for it made, but I'm lacking the knowledge to do so.

I personally do not like the "Ultimate 1MB" upgrade.

Sincerely

Mathy

My problem with the ulitmate 1Mb is the lack of communication. I asked a few questions on their site a few days ago....

No response...

Which site? Lotharek's site? That would be a problem with the vendor, then (Lotharek purchased the right to manufacture and sell Ultimate). If you have queries unrelated to sales, there are lots of Ultimate 1MB threads on this forum, and if you post new queries in the appropriate place, I'm sure they'll be answered shortly.

In the meantime, the Ultimate 1MB's designer's home-page is here, where you'll find specs and installation instructions.

I sent a request thru Lotharek's site for pricing, availability and US shipping. I've not received any information or even a 'we got your mail and it will take a few days to come up with the answer'

The part that made it fairly compelling was the SDX capability.... But, I have LOTS of 30 pin SIMMs on hand and I guess can move my SDX cartridge around as needed.

I've just never messed with the XEGS until my girlfriend said I can put an XEGS on the coffee table with out annoying her. She likes the way it looks. It is there now and playing games, but I want to be able to do more with it.

I'm doing 65C02 development with 600xl's as controllers for solar systems right now and wouldn't mind being able to work on things while laying on the couch!

--

Ultimate is pretty handy in an XEGS if you happen to require a PBI hard disk, since the XEGS has no PBI connector. Ultimate lets you use a SIDE cartridge as a fully OS-compliant (i.e. using the standard OS) hard disk. If a hard disk isn't so important to you and you have an SDX cart, then of course a SIMM upgrade is a perfectly good path to follow if you don't mind a lot of soldering.

• 6 years later...

I second, is this upgrade still available, and will she work with today's games especially with the homebrews like the full version of Bomb Jack from a few years ago??? The only one that works with my unmodded XEGS is the 4K version, I would love to play the full-blown version in the download below.

Bomb Jack (320 XE).xex Bomb Jack.xex

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

Are the exact pickup points for the U1MB documented somewhere?

The signals are labelled on the U1MB board itself which you can match up with any readily available Sally pinout; you can take all of them from the CPU if you don't want to hunt around for vias.

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=56

There's a clickable link on that page which shows the hook-up points on the CPU.

On 2/7/2021 at 11:09 PM, BIGHMW said:

I second, is this upgrade still available, and will she work with today's games especially with the homebrews like the full version of Bomb Jack from a few years ago??? The only one that works with my unmodded XEGS is the 4K version, I would love to play the full-blown version in the download below.

Bomb Jack (320 XE).xex 78.37 kB · 7 downloads Bomb Jack.xex 3.37 kB · 6 downloads

Two things here:

1. 320 KB of memory will not help you play Bomb Jack on an NTSC machine. The game is PAL only.

2. The second file you have here labelled "Bomb Jack" is actually a game called "Gunpowder Charlie". It will run on any 64 KB machine (and possibly even lower memory machines too; I don't know the lower limit).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

The signals are labelled on the U1MB board itself which you can match up with any readily available Sally pinout; you can take all of them from the CPU if you don't want to hunt around for vias.

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=56

There's a clickable link on that page which shows the hook-up points on the CPU.

Got it, thanks!