IGNORED

Adventures with the Atari by Jack Hardy

Allan

Allan,

I might be interested. Do you have clean, legible copies of the source code? What is the average length of the programs? I might be a bit slow in getting them completed and debugged, though.

Russ

I've got that book, but I took a look at the PDF, and that is really a nice, clean scan -- one of the cleanest Atari book scans that I've seen! But that said, OCR would still be a bear and debugging adventures is an even greater challenge.

I just finished typing Blackbeard but I added a couple of 'features'. Once I debug it and once I get my new SIO2PC cable I will post that and Mad Bomber that I typed in years ago.

Now I will work on Escape.

Allan

• 6 months later...

I finally got back to this although I haven't finished it. Here's what I have so far.

Mad Bomber is done. I did that years ago when I was a kid.

I started both Blackbeard's Treasure and Escape. If somebody starts to finish typing these in, let me know so we are not duplicating work.

Allan

Adventures_With_The_Atari.atr

• 6 months later...

Hi Allan,

nice idea of jointly typing in the listings! :)

I set up a webpage, for such kind of things a few weeks ago, but right now only german programs are available.

Do you mind if I add your atr to my site? It's called http://ataribasiclistings.mygamesonline.org/

Cheers,

- Mr.B. -

No, not at all. by the way I finished the two part adventure creator in the book, just have to test it.

Allan

Here's the list of programs from the appendix....

APPENDIX A Program Listings 239

Blackbeard's Treasure 241

Halls of Death 251

Mad Bomber 267

Escape 275

The Hunter 305

Time Crime 313

The Creator 323

Interpreter 329

So, that leaves:

'Halls of Death'

'The Hunter'

and 'Time Crime'

I can't figure what a '.PIL' file is. It isn't BASIC load or enter, nor ML.

Edited by russg

Here's the list of programs from the appendix....

APPENDIX A Program Listings 239

Blackbeard's Treasure 241

Halls of Death 251

Mad Bomber 267

Escape 275

The Hunter 305

Time Crime 313

The Creator 323

Interpreter 329

So, that leaves:

'Halls of Death'

'The Hunter'

and 'Time Crime'

I can't figure what a '.PIL' file is. It isn't BASIC load or enter, nor ML.

The Creator and Interpreter are both done but I need to upload them. I still need to test them though, first. I'm starting 'Time Crime' today.

Halls of Death and The Hunter are Microsoft Basic programs. I'm not sure if they are Microsoft Basic II compatible. Have to check that out.

Allan

Here's another update. I finish typing in The Hunter in Microsoft Basic. There are a number of bugs but I am working on them today. The last program to do is Halls of Death in Microsoft Basic. Hope to start that tonight or tomorrow depending on how long it takes me to get these bugs.

Allan

Adventures_With_The_Atari.zip

post-187-0-54992200-1439829341_thumb.gif

post-187-0-98199100-1439829341_thumb.gif

post-187-0-38382400-1439829342_thumb.gif

post-187-0-83752000-1439829342_thumb.gif

I'm struggling finding the bugs in The Hunter. If somebody wants to give a go at trying to find the bugs that would be a great help. I started in on Halls of Death and have typed in about five pages out of the fifteen. This is a long one. I also noticed that Mad Bomber is corrupted. I think this happened when my IDEPlus card became corrupted. I have it on an old floppy. Hopefully I can find it again and replace it. Here's the latest copy.

Allan

Adventures_With_The_Atari_Disk_1.atr

Adventures_With_The_Atari_Disk_2.atr

Hi folks,

I was searching for something and stumbled across this thread. Coincidentally, I just typed in all three of the text adventures from Jack B Hardy's Adventures with the Atari just a couple of weeks ago. I have played the games and submitted maps and solutions to the Solution Archive. These will be made available as soon as the moderators get around to it.

You should be aware of the following:

There are a couple of versions of Blackbeard's Treasure floating around. These are slightly different to what's in the book. Mine is a clean version. This requires Atari PILOT.

Mad Bomber has a bug whereby if you get the scissors and examine the basket again, the scissors re-appear. It's not a major bug (as it does not prevent you from finishing the game), so I didn't bother to fix it. This requires Atari BASIC.

Halls of Death requires Atari Microsoft BASIC. I used Microsoft BASIC II. It has a few cosmetic errors. I fixed the following:

Line 1320: "GNIBRUB" should be "GNINRUB".

Lines 2690 & 2700: "ETA" should be "STAE".

Line 2920: The string should be "WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEND ANOTHER ONE DOWN TO TRY AGAIN", with 4 spaces between "ONE" and "DOWN".

Line 3370: Delete the spaces after "GNINRUB".

Most importantly, if you try to DIG when playing the game, the program crashes with a UL (undefined line) error, hence you cannot finish the game. To fix this, add the following lines:

1335 GOTO 1440

1340 IF I(2)=0 THEN 2740

Here's the disk images for each game.

Blackbeard's Treasure (Jack B Hardy).atr

Halls of Death (Jack B Hardy).atr

Mad Bomber (Jack B Hardy).atr

Feel free to use these however you like.

• Like 2

Just happened to stumble across this today too!

Got this book from the the local library BITD. Typed in the BASIC games, dont recall any bugs to fix, IIRR the listings ran fine as typed. Also had fun with the Creator & Interpreter programs & made a couple fun adventures- "Bloodmoon Rising" a horror adventure in a house based on my childhood home (my childhood was fine, believe me) & "Stellar 7 Shutdown" a sci-fi space adventure.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1