IGNORED

TMSS on a Model 1: Yes or No?

Rick Dangerous

I just got a TMSS version, and the video quality is certainly better than my original HDG model 1. It makes me want to try replacing caps on my HDG model 1, as it's the one I grew up playing and it'd be fun to keep it as the daily driver for genesis. As someone with minor soldering ability, who's never replaced caps, is this something I can do or is it likely I'll hose my beloved console?

I didn't think the serial number really had anything to do with identifying a TMSS console vs a Non-TMSS console. I read somewhere that you can identify them via the FCC ID, I've got a Non-TMSS console and a TMSS console and this information seems to match up with my consoles at least.

Non-TMSS Genesis 1 FCC ID: FJ846EUSASEGA

TMSS Genesis 1 FCC ID: FJ8USASEGA

This doesn't help with identifying Japanese or PAL Mega Drives though.

I didn't think the serial number really had anything to do with identifying a TMSS console vs a Non-TMSS console. I read somewhere that you can identify them via the FCC ID, I've got a Non-TMSS console and a TMSS console and this information seems to match up with my consoles at least.

Non-TMSS Genesis 1 FCC ID: FJ846EUSASEGA

TMSS Genesis 1 FCC ID: FJ8USASEGA

This doesn't help with identifying Japanese or PAL Mega Drives though.

Sorry yes it is the FCC ID. There are some with the longer ID # that ARE TMSS....though that is somewhat rare(though not pricey or desirable). I happen to have one of them apparently. I have one of each FCC ID and they are both TMSS. Most with the longer ID (vast majority) are Non-TMSS

Sorry yes it is the FCC ID. There are some with the longer ID # that ARE TMSS....though that is somewhat rare(though not pricey or desirable). I happen to have one of them apparently. I have one of each FCC ID and they are both TMSS. Most with the longer ID (vast majority) are Non-TMSS

Ah okay fair enough.

I've got a NON-TMSS PAL Mega Drive actually and there's TMSS PAL MD elsewhere in the house. I'll have to have a look at those two and see if there is a way of identifying between those too. Would be helpful to be able to identify (most) of them between regions. I'll compare them tomorrow.

Edited by R.Bear

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I liked the rainbow banding when i was a kid - it made the waterfalls in Sonic 1 look really nice. I thought it made a lot of the games seem more vibrant.

I feel the same way about artifacting on the Apple II and (especially) Tandy CoCo, and the chroma bleed on the Intellivision. It adds texture and color to what would otherwise be simple shapes.

To bring this back to Sega, there's a lot of discussion about how Genesis games were intended to be viewed. There seems to be a rough consensus that many US-developed games were designed with RF video in mind, and they tend to have a bunch of heavily-dithered graphics, screen-door transparencies, etc. that look a lot better in RF or composite vs. RGB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I am looking to get a Non TMSS Model 1. Would running a 32X Through this Model 1 Unit give me the best Video out IE no Rainbow Banding? Also I use SCART through a SCART to Component Video Converter.

Thanks in advance.

You probably had this answered elsewhere, but yes, the 32x eliminates rainbow banding, and puts out the best composite video of any system.