IGNORED

Does lag on HDTV's only happen with retro consoles?

Most definitely it happens with all video game consoles. This is why some modern games, most especially music and rhythm games like the "Guitar Hero" and "Rock Band" series, have calibration settings that let you compensate for any lag introduced by your television. Timing is essential in those games.

This is also why most newer HDTV's have a "Game Mode" or something similar, which disables a lot of picture processing and cuts down the lag.

• Like 1

I bought an Optoma 25e 1080p projector and notice lag on it big time. Might be a deal breaker actually. Will have to play more games on it. Right now, flippers in pinball are a bit slow to respond and this particular projector has no 'game' mode. Wish more reviews would mention stuff like this. People also fail to mention lack of keystone adjustments too! :mad:

-edit-

Problem was the fact I was running the PS3 through an Oppo 105 machine. One of the reasons I bought it is because it features an HDMI input. Wanted to use this machine as a switch between the PS3 so I could extract surround sound from the HDMI input and output through the discrete outputs (which it does splendidly), but there is some kind of incompatibility between the PS3 and the Oppo. When using HDMI output #1, there is such serious lag, that everything is choppy and unplayable. When I ran HDMI out #2, things were much, much better. Totally playable now, but still had the lag (hence my original complaint). Hooked the PS3 directly to the Optoma projector and now I cannot discern any lag at all. Great! They're supposed to be known for their super quick response compared to other projectors - but what a shame I can't use my Oppo Blu-ray player as I had hoped to. I've already written them to make them aware and see if anything can be done about it.

Entirely possible it could vary depending on input source and resolution. 1080p if the native res could be displayed fairly quickly, the interlaced and lower res modes require upscale and/or buffering. Legacy types like composite and S-Video are assumed interlaced so would require buffering and upscaling.