IGNORED

alignment disks.

tregare

2 hours ago, ojanhk said:

Should be possible with a Kyroflux setup though. But obviously more expensive than buying the disk from B&C.

Once again, not at all. Devices like Kryoflux that work at the flux transition level can only process the digital characteristics of the signal, not the amplitude of the signal. Let alone there is no way that you could write back the signal that is not exactly track aligned. See Bob's description above about the alignment disk signal:

On 7/9/2014 at 10:26 PM, bob1200xl said:

The way I remember it, the tracks on an alignment disk are not circular, they're elliptical. Track 15 actually runs from track 15, thru track 16 and up into track 17. Track 17 is similar, only 180 degrees out of phase. What you do is seek to track 16 and scope the head output. What you see is two sine waves at 5hz, one for track 17 and one for track 15. Moving the head so that each sine wave is the same amplitude will properly align the head.

You need a very special mechanism to create that kind of disk.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Speaking of alignment disks recently in another thread....

Does anyone who actually owns the proper disk "Dymek Alignment Diskette (TE017575)" know what exactly what Dymek disk that is?

I can only find this PDF:

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dymek/dymekalign.pdf

And I'm not sure which would be the equivalent, if any.

Edit: The myatari eBay site states that the disk is 592-11.

Docs here: https://ia800108.us.archive.org/17/items/DymekDK/Dymek DK 592-11 Alignment Diskette Use lnstruction.pdf

Except those docs don't match the track listing in the 1050 FSM.  Hmm.

I've done other detailed post about this, but can't find them, might have been somewhere else... anyway you might want to search for accurite disks as well.

They are all still out there, but you have to catch the right person at the right time to buy them. New old stock. Many people don't want to bother or have no desire to spend time in the dungeons that contain such goodness. There will be no warranty, and if you persist and succeed, let other know so they can buy as well, making it worth the person whom is selling worth their while.

Edited by _The Doctor__

4 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I've done other detailed post about this, but can't find them, might have been somewhere else... anyway you might want to search for accurite disks as well.

They are all still out there, but you have to catch the right person at the right time to buy them. New old stock. Many people don't want to bother or have no desire to spend time in the dungeons that contain such goodness. There will be no warranty, and if you persist and succeed, let other know so they can buy as well, making it worth the person whom is selling worth their while.

The minimum density listed on the Accurite website for their alignment disk is 360KB, it would appear they no longer sell a single density version.

http://www.accurite.com/cgi/AAD.html#Description of AAD Models

Edited by BillC

Shame about a lot of this type of specialty media.  I can no longer get proper alignment or speed calibration tapes for my cassette and reel to reel decks.  Only stuff now out there is on ebay that someone else recorded to blank tape which is a complete crap shoot.