IGNORED

Jaguar Hybrid CD, also compatible PC CD-ROM and TurboGraphX !

Orion_

I created an Hybrid CD, that can be booted on Jaguar CD, a TurboGrafX Super CD-Rom (also known as PC Engine), and that can also be used in a standard PC computer !!

Proof of concept video here:

https://vimeo.com/100313166

question: would you be ok to buy a Game on an hybrid CD like this ? So we could do a large batch of the same pressed CD for multi platform use !

Edited by Orion_
  • Like 12

So we could do a large batch of the same pressed CD for multi platform use !

Why are you getting CD's pressed? Why not just burn them using Diamond CD-R's that have a printable surface? They look just like a pressed CD and you can make as many as needed without the cost of getting them pressed. I've been using these myself for audio production since 2005. They look great and nobody can tell they are CD-R's. Just a thought.

Why are you getting CD's pressed?

Because gamers of all forums ask me to do so ;)

They prefer professionallypressed CD rather than CD-R.

But I agree, doing pressed CD is more expensive because you must produce at least 300 CDs, and even with good sales, you will sell half of them on Jaguar.

For my next Jaguar CD productions I will do professionally burned CD-R, to produce less and avoid keeping 150 un-sold cds in my room.

But, if the same CD can be boot on multiplaforms, then, more people will buy it (jaguar fans, pc engine fans, and why not atari falcon fans) so producing 300 CDs or more won't be a problem, because all the CDs could be sold to various community :)

Otto1980 > The PC CD-ROM use a standard ISO9660 file system (on session 1)
The PC Engine CD use the first 32k of data of the ISO format (not used by ISO9660 file system) This could also be used for Sega Mega CD !
The Jaguar CD use a multi session disc, with whatever data on session 1, and Jaguar specific data on session 2.

It seems like the encryption or boot process of the jagcd don't care about what are stored on session 1 =)

Because gamers of all forums ask me to do so ;)

Fair enough.

They prefer professionallypressed CD rather than CD-R.

That's because they assume the CD-R will look like a CD-R. Meaning a greenish or blueish data area, but the Diamond CD's are true sliver on the data area just like a pressed CD. It isn't obvious to the general user that a Diamond CD-R is a CD-R.

Yeah, screw CD-R's! Hate it when developers go that route. For the price we pay for this stuff, like to think were getting something more permanent vs. worrying about a CD-R conking out. And they do over time. Sometimes sooner than later. :(

I've only had one CD-R go bad on me is the 15 years I've been using them. Granted mine were used for audio production, but I have CD-R (diamond) that are almost 10 years old and still work just fine. Based on what you stated, it makes me wonder the quality of the CD-R's these guys are using and if they are testing each one.

WTF is that PCE game then? I presumed it would just be Elansar again??!

I think, if it's a hybrid, it at least needs to be the same game across multiple formats...? Surely??

this is just a proof of concept, I had this game I'm currently working on for PC Engine, I might port it to Jaguar CD then :)

Other benefit of Pressed vs CDR... CD involves sitting there, feeding a writer, and then into a label printer, and testing for each disc. Assuming the developers time is free, great.. but come on, who really wants to sit for several hours just faffing about burning disc after disc?? when you could get them pressed. No need to test each disc, no need to make sure the printers ink levels are right, no opening, loading, closing, of cases, or printing of labels and cutting and fitting those into cases.

Probably fine if you are shifting a small number (10-20) tops, but if you are going to shift much more than that I know I'd certainly not want to.

That on top of the lower chance of disc rot, or label fading...

• Like 1

Other benefit of Pressed vs CDR... CD involves sitting there, feeding a writer, and then into a label printer, and testing for each disc. Assuming the developers time is free, great.. but come on, who really wants to sit for several hours just faffing about burning disc after disc?? when you could get them pressed. No need to test each disc, no need to make sure the printers ink levels are right, no opening, loading, closing, of cases, or printing of labels and cutting and fitting those into cases.

Probably fine if you are shifting a small number (10-20) tops, but if you are going to shift much more than that I know I'd certainly not want to.

That on top of the lower chance of disc rot, or label fading...

Well, I guess things have changed...

It use to cost between $500.00-$1000.00 (depending on who you use) just for the "glass master". That didn't include the actual CD's to be pressed and then silk screened or the printed case inserts with cases.

There are devices that will burn, test and print on a CD-R or DVD-R without the need for someone to attend the machine constantly. Normally you drop a spool of 100 discs into the hopper, press a button and walk away. As a software developer it would seem a lot more cost effective to spend the money on an "all in one" burn, test, print disk device than it would a glass master for one title.

As a matter of fact, most duplication houses don't even use a glass master unless they need 500 or more copies of a disk. They will just use CD-R's and DVD-R's. Make sure you read the fine print when getting CD's made up from these places.

I created an Hybrid CD, that can be booted on Jaguar CD, a TurboGrafX Super CD-Rom (also known as PC Engine), and that can also be used in a standard PC computer !!

question: would you be ok to buy a Game on an hybrid CD like this ? So we could do a large batch of the same pressed CD for multi platform use !

Clearly a hybrid CD like this would be very useful for homebrew developers planning to release a game on multiple platforms, especially when going to the expense of having glass mastered CDs made and I would have no problem with purchasing a hybrid multi platform CD if it works reliably.

That's because they assume the CD-R will look like a CD-R. Meaning a greenish or blueish data area, but the Diamond CD's are true sliver on the data area just like a pressed CD. It isn't obvious to the general user that a Diamond CD-R is a CD-R.

Perhaps I have been unlucky but I my experience the colour tinted one's are never reliable and only tend to play correctly in the unit that burned them. Only the clear ones that look like a glass mastered CD seem to work for me be that for Jaguar or PC.

Perhaps I have been unlucky but I my experience the colour tinted one's are never reliable and only tend to play correctly in the unit that burned them. Only the clear ones that look like a glass mastered CD seem to work for me be that for Jaguar or PC.

Just for the record I'm talking about "Diamond" or sometimes called "TruSilver" CD-R's. Here's an image for reference:

61g-aYNjK2L._SL1500_.jpg

As you can see, they look just like a glass mastered CD.

I'm torn on this, as I have no interest in playing these games on PC or TG16 and would prefer to have Jaguar-exclusive packaging. I understand the reasoning for doing it though and certainly would still support/buy the new hybrid releases, but all things being equal I would just prefer something printed and labeled exclusively as a Jaguar game.

I'm torn on this, as I have no interest in playing these games on PC or TG16 and would prefer to have Jaguar-exclusive packaging. I understand the reasoning for doing it though and certainly would still support/buy the new hybrid releases, but all things being equal I would just prefer something printed and labeled exclusively as a Jaguar game.

Well, maybe the packaging CAN be console exclusive, as PCE collectors won't want a Jaguar CD box in their collection either!

I suspect that the different inlays will be printed per platform and maybe even different cases to accommodate said inlays will be used too, but ALL of the discs will look the same, I imagine; just a disc with the game logo and 3x listed platform logo's, top to bottom on the left or right etc.

I don't think it's about the look at all. It's about CD-Rs having a bad reputation in general. Sure, there is quality differences... but I think many people have had CD-Rs go bad within a couple of years. And there is also the thing with CD-Rs often straining your drive more than pressed CDs. This is not so important with high quality drives used in PCs, but the cheapo drives in consoles often tend to have issues. I remember in PS1 and Dreamcast days the heavy use of CD-Rs was a sure way to get your laser to need adjustment over time. Same with PS2. You could hear the drive being louder than with official CDs/DVDs.

I only use CD-Rs on consoles very seldom for that reason. A console is not like a PC where you can replace a disc drive with hundreds of other off-the-shelf drives if needed. The old machines need to be treated with care so they will serve us many more years, and even if you want to use theb est quality CD-Rs... it's just better to play it safe and go for pressed CDs. Both for the console's health and the medium's lifespan.

This could also be used for Sega Mega CD !

NOW I'm interested! :D

I think there are quite a few more Mega-CD-owners out there than PCE CD owners even. So if you could make this possible for Jag CD/PCE/MCD/PC this would be amazing. :)

• Like 2