IGNORED

Conan O'Brien reviews Atari 2600 games

godzillajoe

I don't get his problem with River Raid. It's a pretty easy game really. Move and shoot, but don't hit the sides.

And it bugs me when playing Space Invaders they have the difficulty setting to the harder "wide-blaster" version. Did they not tinker with the switches?

He's not a gamer. Also, how "funny" would it be if he just played the games and was awesome at them. Of course he was half-assing it and making stupid comments.

That would be like MST3K talking about how great the movie they're riffing is.

I'm a huge Conan fan but he was not the right fit for The Tonight Show.

But that's for another board, not this one.

• Like 1

I thought it was a brilliant take on the 2600. I do find it hard to believe that he's never played it before, given that he was 14 when it first came out - pretty much THE target demographic at the time. Maybe he lived on an Amish farm or something. So I suspect it's just well-done comedy.

The ET analysis is absolutely hysterical. It's become a bit trendy to say "nah, ET wasn't that bad, everyone just says it because of the Internet" but that's not at all what I remember. EVERYONE that I knew hated the game and we were making "falling into pits" jokes long before the Internet. ET deserves its reputation and it's not just because of the hype and subsequent disappointment.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's actually a huge Atari fan. This video seems like really well-done parody.

Just some useless speculation:

Conan comes from a well off family so its possible they thought video games were a waste of time. At a minimum they probably gravitated toward the system that was sold as more "educational", the Intellevision. We had that family at our school who thought they were smarter than everyone else.

I don't get his problem with River Raid. It's a pretty easy game really. Move and shoot, but don't hit the sides.

And it bugs me when playing Space Invaders they have the difficulty setting to the harder "wide-blaster" version. Did they not tinker with the switches?

I guess it is confusing because you're controlling what looks like a plane yet you can't fly over anything.