IGNORED

[Sold] Arcadia Supercharger

BigO

Okay, I can't believe people are really going to pay the $150 I see these posted for on eBay. So, I'm willing to discount heavily from that price. :-D

I'm thinking $35 + shipping (US only) sounds a lot more reasonable.

I dug this out of my duplicate hardware stash. (It's amazing what you find time to do when you're out of work and recovering from surgery :roll:).

It's not cosmetically perfect, but it works great. I loaded up 6 different games on it (through my cell phone's media player) and played through Commie Mutants from Space a few times.

post-12370-0-16590300-1405055654_thumb.jpgpost-12370-0-99635200-1405055655_thumb.jpgpost-12370-0-17088200-1405055658_thumb.jpg

Edited by BigO

It's a cartridge for the 2600 that allows the loading of externally stored games. The game to be played is loaded into the unit via an audio interface. Originally, the games were on cassette tape and were transferred to the Supercharger through the earphone jack of a cassette player.

A significant attribute of the Supercharger is that it makes additional RAM available to the game logic which in turn allowed the creation of more sophisticated games.

In recent history, methods have been devised to store and play back those audio files from CD, MP3 player, computer etc. Newly created games that conform to a certain set of specifications can be encoded and loaded for play on the Supercharger.

(I've read some opinions stating that the Arcadia branded units such as this one are more highly valued than the later Starpath branded ones.)

Oh, and the most important thing to note about the Supercharger is that you want one. Specifically, this one. :D

Edited by BigO