IGNORED

Apple II Pooyan

roadrunner

Try a different disk image. It's been a while since I went shopping for Apple II software, but different disk images with dfifferent compbinations of games used to be everywhere, so you may have better luck with a different one.

If that doesn't work, give some details about how you're trying to run the game. The emulator you're using, its version, the emulated peripherals and memory you have configured, and so forth.

Appears to be a bug. I have the same results with two different disk images and a similar freezing occurs from versions 1.18.0 thru 1.24.0

of AppleWin.

I opened a bug/issue report here.

Summary:

After starting a game of Pooyan, once "Player 1" displays on the screen, the game freezes. Tested on AppleWin 1.18.0 thru 1.24.0 with the same results.

Disk images utilize:

1. "VOL 254" - Mapple - Spectre - Pandora's Box - Pooyan - Pooyan Cheat
2. "Beautiful Boot" - Dung Beetles - Ms. Pac-Man - Pooyan - Star Cruiser - Star Thief - Invasion Force

Both yield same results with Pooyan.

Looks like some relatively fast feedback on the bug was posted. There are a couple of workarounds to make Pooyan work under AppleWin. First though, let's start with the images I mentioned in my post here:

1. "VOL 254" - Mapple - Spectre - Pandora's Box - Pooyan - Pooyan Cheat: Pooyan - Pooyan Cheat - Mapple - Spectre - Pandora's Box.zip
2. "Beautiful Boot" - Dung Beetles - Ms. Pac-Man - Pooyan - Star Cruiser - Star Thief - Invasion Force: Pooyan - Dung Beetles - Invasion Force - Ms. Pac-man - Star Cruiser - Star Thief.zip

Now here are the responses (two of them) - verbatim - from the bug posted:

Response 1:

I have no time to troubleshoot this, but I can tell you that selecting the Apple ][+ in conjunction with "The Freeze's non-autostart F8 rom" selected allows the game to operate normally.

Selecting Apple ][ (original) also allows it to work.

Finally, if you put the POOYAN file onto a disk without a menu program, just dos, any dos, and manually start it with the BRUN command it will work. In any emulated machine.

Furthermore, making this little start program allows it work too:
1 GET A$
5 PRINT
10 PRINT CHR$(4);"BRUN POOYAN"

All three lines are critical. I suspect it has something to do with keyboard strobing and reading in the emulator. Because the common factor is pressing a key and having Apple's own routines process it, not some fast loader or menu selector.

To get it working from the original II you need to do a 6 and
There's your keypresses! And now that the emulated Apple has seen a "native" keypress, the Beautiful Boot fast-loader will work.

Starting with the the Apple II+ with The Freeze's rom causes keypresses. 6 and .

And finally my little start program needs you to press a key to get it rolling. And it works on any machine.

Response 2:

Here is a much simpler method of starting it. With the Beautiful Boot disk image you already have. Sorry about the previous tedious procedures, but when you're drunk you're just drunk and there ain't a damned thing you can do about it..

NOW, let's see..

0- Open the emulator, and drag the disk image to the center of the emulator window, wait for the Beautiful Boot menu to show up.

1- Hit FN [PAUSE-BREAK] to simulate a CTRL-Reset OR hit CTRL-[PAUSE-BREAK] depending if you are on a laptop or desktop. You now get ] and a flashing cursor.

2- Type PR#6 at the "]" basic prompt. This of course restarts the system. Remember we're restarting the emulated system and not the emulator.

3- Select "C" from the Beautiful Boot Menu, and away you go!

ALTERNATIVELY conduct a reset of the emulated system which drops you into the "]" prompt and then resetting the emulated system (not the emulator) so it will boot will also work. Play with the ALT/CTRL and PAUSE-BREAK combination to get it right..

OR JUST COPY THE DAMNED GAME TO A DOS 3.3 DISK AND TYPE "BRUN POOYAN" YOURSELF!

But make no mistake, it isn't a problem with Beautiful Boot, because it works normally on real hardware without all these gymnastics!

Hope the above helps! :)

• Like 2

Stupid dumb-ass message forum didn't accept the 6 CONTROL-P because I used standard old-school conventions in describing the boot process from monitor! heh..

Part of the fun of classic computing is figuring out little things like this. If it was an arduous experience, you're doing it wrong!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...