IGNORED

CoCo Madness (demos for the CoCo)

JamesD

• 1 month later...

The entire thing is the CoCo 256x192 mode

While the Demo is Running, he is only updating the Box in the Middle.

IIRC, Simon now has it only updating the Pixels Plotted, saving lots of time for Audio Generation, which is Pretty Tight Code too...

MarkO

Very cool, I couldn't see the jaggies in Tandy Assembly until I expanded the video ;)

The soft synth with simultaneous animation is really impressive, reminds me of the SID player for the CoCo3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s87EswP4xeE

• Like 1

Very cool, I couldn't see the jaggies in Tandy Assembly until I expanded the video ;)

The soft synth with simultaneous animation is really impressive, reminds me of the SID player for the CoCo3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s87EswP4xeE

Simon is only using the Built In 6 Bit DAC...

From the Code Snippet he shared with me, it looks like the Sound Routine ISR is about 40 Bytes..

And is running at 58 Cycles per Note, with Three Voices.. ( and Possibly Better, since that was Last Weeks numbers... )

Edit: And it run on the Dragons too....

MarkO

Edited by MarkO
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I believe that Simon Jonassen is preparing something for a CoCoFEST demo..

This "clip" was shown on CoCoTALK! #47.

"a little coco3 madness"

( Disclaimer: I'm a regular Member of the CoCoTALK! Group, and might be a bit biased... ;) )

MarkO

Edited by MarkO

Simon shared a video of that on facebook, but I tried sharing video off of facebook and people just complain they don't do facebook and you can't watch the video without leaving this site, so I don't share anything from there anymore.

I post a few things to facebook that I don't share anywhere else myself, but it's usually just snapshots rather than videos.
My videos are all youtube so they can be shared on forums.

My recent posts involve speed comparisons between the original MC-10 BASIC ROM and my faster version.
This is from the Fedora 3D plot program. On the left is the Apple II in Lo-Res mode, and on the right is the MC-10 in text mode using the same parameters as the Apple II version. The Apple pixels are wider than they are tall, and the MC-10's are taller than they are wide, but if you look closely, they are setting the same pixels which is important for a speed comparison.
The Standard MC-10 ROM generates this abouit 3 seconds slower than the Apple II, but the new ROM beats the Apple II by 15 seconds. I think that's about 30% faster than the Apple II.
post-10422-0-79690200-1519064382_thumb.jpg

And here is the old vs new ROM. I snapped the screenshot when the new ROM finished.
There were several other comparison pics.
post-10422-0-48331000-1519065423_thumb.jpg

Bottom line, around an 8% speedup across the board due to interpreter optimizations, and around a 30% speedup on things that use a lot of multiplication due to using the hardware multiply and 16 bit support in the math library. I'm out of space in the 8K ROM or I could improve on that.

Here is a video comparison before my last few speedups, so there is even more difference now.

Edited by JamesD
  • Like 1

Simon shared a video of that on facebook, but I tried sharing video off of facebook and people just complain they don't do facebook and you can't watch the video without leaving this site, so I don't share anything from there anymore.

<< BIG SNIP >>

I agree about Facebook.. I prefer videos on YouTube too....

There is a YouTube Video of Simon's Demo, it's just not Publicly Available...

The above video is on YouTube..

MarkO

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...