IGNORED

Heavy Sixer in need of repair

Pureisuteshon Tsu

I was given a six switch 2600 by some bloke at a flea market today. Its in exceedingly dirty condition, though I could probably clean it up. Its missing one of the difficulty switches, though. Is it worth looking into repairing this unit? Normally I wouldn't give it much though, but the heavy six models seem to be important. Where could I go about sourcing a new switch/PSU? It doesn't have a power supply, so I'm not yet equipped to test it as my 2600 gear is stowed deep in a closet. Thanks!

You can find generic power supplies on ebay for around $6 including shipping, from Asia. The switch I'm just looking into myself, as I've recently come upon a Vader with a working switch that has most of the plastic broken off. Debating repairing it as well, although I may just leave it in "Beginner" mode as it'll probably be sold to dump some spare carts anyway. I find that 90% of people don't even use the difficulty switches, back in the day or now.

I'd certainly take a stab at repairing a heavy, or at least getting it to someone here who can. They're not super-rare or anything, but important enough that every one is worth saving.

Edited by freeweed

Best Electronic's short list of Atari 2600 replacement parts would be what I would go through, no need to bother with generic parts when you can get the actual Atari OEM parts for under $20.

Atari US 2600 Power supply CO16353 / CA014034 - $10.95

Atari 2600 / 2600A On/Off, Color/BW Slide Switch CO10373 - $2.50

Edited by mipaol
  • Like 1