IGNORED

2600 games that should exist.

iesposta

A port of Qwak!, the 1974 Atari lightgun shooter, would have been great. The 2600 needs another gun game, and who wouldn't love some form of "Duck Hunt" on the 2600?

Also, the games from the Video Pinball console, perhaps all on one cartridge. (Maybe we don't need Breakout again, but whatever.)

A clone of the Channel F game Video Whizball would be sweet, too.

• Like 3

I haven't played it but I'm fascinated by the concept of the Channel F game Sonar Search! Isn't it like Battleship? With sonar sound help?

That would be awesome with updated graphics and if 2 players could place their ships (while the other person doesn't look).

I think I have said it at least two dozen times, in other similar threads…when are we finally going to get Zoo Keeper for the 2600???

Zoo Keeper is a game that should NOT exist on the 2600. It would be a godawful flickery mess, or totally unlike the arcade game. Even the 7800 would have a rough time keeping up with Zoo Keeper's sprite load.

So stop saying silly things.

Zoo Keeper is a game that should NOT exist on the 2600. It would be a godawful flickery mess, or totally unlike the arcade game. Even the 7800 would have a rough time keeping up with Zoo Keeper's sprite load.

The moving platform stage might be possible, but that's not really what anyone thinks of when they think of Zoo Keeper, is it?

How bout this…stop posting venom filled rants, and I will stop posting "silly things". Better yet, stop posting altogether…then, maybe I will consider your offer.

Zoo Keeper may not have been "possible" in the Atari heyday, but it is certainly possible now. So, maybe you should stop posting negative things.

PS: I never said it should be a direct port of the arcade version. It might be limited (like most of the other Atari arcade ports), but it would be a 2600 version of Zoo Keeper after all... :roll:

• Like 2

I'm a 2600 optimist, I love the idea of what CAN be done. It's like art. Look at something like Mario Bros. It's sorta like the arcade but not quite. Still a fun game. So I'm all for something like Zoo Keeper just to see what they'd have done. That's why, despite the flaws, I like Zaxxon for the 2600.

My personal list:

Monaco GP, Moon Cresta, Rally-X, Galaga, Kick-Man, Space Dungeon, Space Fury, Anteater, Black Widow, Bubbles, Fast Freddie, Satan's Hollow, Super Pac-Man, Zoo Keeper, Tron, Donkey Kong 3, Elevator Action, Food Fight, Mad Planets, Circus Charlie, Hat Trick, Paperboy, Star Force, Tag Team Wrestling, 1942

• Like 1

I'm a 2600 optimist, I love the idea of what CAN be done. It's like art. Look at something like Mario Bros. It's sorta like the arcade but not quite. Still a fun game. So I'm all for something like Zoo Keeper just to see what they'd have done. That's why, despite the flaws, I like Zaxxon for the 2600.

My personal list:

Monaco GP, Moon Cresta, Rally-X, Galaga, Kick-Man, Space Dungeon, Space Fury, Anteater, Black Widow, Bubbles, Fast Freddie, Satan's Hollow, Super Pac-Man, Zoo Keeper, Tron, Donkey Kong 3, Elevator Action, Food Fight, Mad Planets, Circus Charlie, Hat Trick, Paperboy, Star Force, Tag Team Wrestling, 1942

I would love Satan's Hollow…someone here was working on that one not too long ago. Maybe we will see it someday!

BTW...Elevator Action was released some years back at CGE. It was a proto that was found, and is about 95% complete. The game is quite playable though.

Ed Fries is working in Rally-X http://atariage.com/forums/topic/218406-rally-wip/

• Like 2

Huh. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, as everything turns into a cult-classic these days. But I definitely do not remember a lot of Rally-X love back in the day. Namco sure tried pushing it, too - until they realized just how much better (or at least better loved) Pac-Man was. Then again, Bosconian also seems to be suddenly in people's radar so I guess anything's possible.

I bet a pretty playable Tron could be done given today's cheap ROM space for the levels. Most of the basic gameplay already exists in one for or another on the 2600.

Huh. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, as everything turns into a cult-classic these days. But I definitely do not remember a lot of Rally-X love back in the day. Namco sure tried pushing it, too - until they realized just how much better (or at least better loved) Pac-Man was. Then again, Bosconian also seems to be suddenly in people's radar so I guess anything's possible.

I bet a pretty playable Tron could be done given today's cheap ROM space for the levels. Most of the basic gameplay already exists in one for or another on the 2600.

I liked Rally-X but I sucked at it which is why I'd love a home version. No wasting precious quarters. That's why I never played Defender or Asteroids in the arcade. I could last much longer on Galaga or something else.