IGNORED

Is the Atari 2600 worth it/ should I get one?

32 bit gamer

Sorry. I tried to quote people, but It didn't work. I'll just say this. I might use an emulator for an atari or snes, and since my uncle might even get his out and give it to me, And I DO own old and new consoles respectively (Ps2, n64, sega master system from another uncle, xbox 360 that I dont use anymore, but then again who does? And an nes out of a dumpster) so I THOUGHT that getting an atari would be the answer, but if I have to wait a bit for my uncle to pull his atari out of his friends house (told me yesterday I could have it. Coolest uncle ever), then I can wait, I guess.

EDIT: also have a sega nomad and game gear.

Yeah, it worked. I got 4 backtrack messages in my email. BTW, the page is acting screwy. It keeps refreshing incessantly in Firefox.

Sorry I haven't been online in a while, so let me answer to some of this.

The thing is, I own lots of later games (ps2, n64, xbox360 , also found an nes in a dumpster that still works) and I love them. But not only is atari cheap, but it's classic. I always liked watching the old commercials and news about it. And if I don't get it, whatever. But at this point I might even wait a little because my uncle said he would give me his atari. If not, then I'll get one when I'm older.

I might even consider that. I should try more of the games as an emulator maybe.

I might also try that.

I have the flashbak 4. It didn't even have any activision games.

Awesome you rescued that NES from an early grave.

I played around with Emulators for a while. You just can't really develop a love for the hardware until you own the actual system.

Flashback 2 had two Activision games which were removed from Flashback 2+ and later consoles. It's a licensing issue but the current rights holders of Activision seem reluctant to license any of their old games. Sucks but maybe in the future if the licenses change hands again things may change. Activision made some of the best 2600 games IMO well worth it.

Yeah, that's a hell of a price already. If you can get them down to $25? Insane deal. And personally, a big part of the enjoyment of collecting is getting things cheap. Any idiot can go on Ebay and overpay for a "rare" item, but building a collection without overspending is a real accomplishment.

You really need to share your general location, so that I can visit this store. :D

• Like 1

I'm a bit old-school. I just use a handful of Excel spreadsheets with some basic counting and summation. Personally I'm not the "blue-label-with-German-subscript, version 5.4a" type of collector, so a simple list of games I have vs published titles is sufficient. I find that basic rarity information (the AA ratings are some of the best and most accurate; I wish we had similar for all 80s consoles) is sufficient to know if I'm getting a "good price" on something or not. And especially whether it's worth picking up a spare.

Plus, it works on damn near everything (especially mobile devices). So many of these online databases have websites that cause problems on small devices. :(

Agreed in general, tracking this stuff is important. When it was dozens or even a few hundred games, I could remember most of it. Now that I'm approaching 2000 carts and 600 optical, there's just no way I remember anything beyond the most common and the most rare that I have.

Wow, Atari stuff sure is cheaper in the US. I can get $150 for a Vader with sticks, paddles, and 30 or so fairly common games up here in Canada (via our version of Craigslist). This is probably why 3/4 of my 2600s have come from Craigslist when I'm on vacation down there. :-D

Still looking for Super Action Controllers?

You will always be underwhelmed going backwards (Dreamcast > SNES/Genesis > NES > ATARI) and I would be lying if I said I played my atari more than newer, more powerful systems but that being said you SHOULD own an atari 2600 because of one main reason

HOMEBREWS

It's one of the biggest homebrew scenes around and nothing is cooler than being a part of the magic of new (old) games. Homebrew playing/collecting is a lot of fun and the atari 2600 is one of the best systems to homebrew collect for. Lots of activity, lots of new developers, affordable price points and a huge following :) You will not run out of homebrews to collect and more keep getting made. Even the out of print ones are pretty easily found and the programmers really push a lot of these games to the true limits of the atari :)

UPDATE: my favorite game store is having a Hagglefest. They have atari's for 50$ with 40 games a paddle 2 joysticks, but if I can haggle, probably 25$ worth it?

Very good deal, if you like Atari 2600 enough to start a collection I'd go with that offer in a second. Plenty of resellers out there would try and charge that just for a good condition system alone.

Edited by mipaol

Get Demon attack in the blue activision case ;)

Or shove it into an old Pac Man cart. These things breed like rabbits as soon as you start collecting.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pac Man. Still have to spend the 4,5 hours to roll it some day. It's just that there are so many of it...

• Like 1

I exported mine from VGCollect to CSV and turned it into a Retron 5 compatibility sheet which I'm sharing as a google doc.

I just like VGC because they capture way more information about the games than I would.

The community in their forums is also very friendly and I've gotten some good deals on rare items there. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if you ended up getting that Atari deal? If so, cool! If not, you should keep an eye on Craigslist, or look around for flea markets/thrift stores, and you should be able to get an Atari 2600 with the various hookups and basic controllers for between $30-50, possibly even with some games to go with it.

One nice thing about the 2600 is you can pick up lots of loose commonly-found carts super-cheap. Perhaps as low as a quarter a game! If you do want to expand your collection, keep an eye out here (Atari Age), eBay, and local places for game bundles; you can often find deals like 20 games for $20-30 bucks.

Just a few tips:

1. Make sure you ALWAYS clean your carts with rubbing alcohol and q-tips prior to putting them into your console for the first time after buying them. Make sure to let the carts sit for a couple of hours to dry off, too, before putting them in the machine. There are a lot of carts that have become dirty and dusty over time, and it'll keep your console alive a lot longer if you do this. Also, it will reduce the number of times you put a cart in your console and it doesn't work.

2. Put a dust cover or something like that at least over the spot where the carts go into the Atari. As others have said, it will make it so your console will work longer without having to clean it out.

3. Don't pay more than, say, $2-3 for common carts. Unless you really want a specific game, I suppose. If it's in its original box you'll pay quite a bit more, perhaps, but that's okay, if you like to collect the boxes.

4. One of the things that can go pretty quickly on an Atari is the joysticks. However, you can buy new joysticks (they are still being either made as reproductions, or are restored older joysticks) online. Also, make sure to get a set of paddle controllers! The paddle games are some of Atari's best.

If you ended up getting a Genesis, SNES, or Dreamcast, I'm sure you'll enjoy those as well. Really, you can't go wrong - they are all great consoles with lots of fun games on them.