IGNORED

Best games for the Atari ST

What are the best games on the Atari ST? In particular, I'm thinking of SHMUP, platform, and racing games...

2 D shmups: Xenon, Wings of Death

3 D shmup: Starglider, Midi Maze

platformers: Rodland, Nebulus (aka Tower Toppler)

2 D racing: Super Sprint

3 D racing;: Vroom/F1 (Domark), Buggy Boy, No Second Prize

• Like 1

Falcon.

I'm even going to say Tetris because thanks to the ST version, Ed Logg of Atari Games Corp discovered Tetris and got Atari Games involved in attempting to secure the arcade and console rights to the game which brought us perhaps the best version...the Atari Games/Tengen version of Tetris.

MIDI Maze and Dungeon Master must always be mentioned when discussing ST gaming.

Threads like this, better said questions about best games show up from time to time. Instead it, better would be to search for available online lists, surveys.

What is best is very subjective, matter of taste.

Indeed best racing simulation is Microprose F1 GP . Games like Vroom are not real simulations, despite that it is well made.

Falcon (serial) of 3D combat flight simulation is most appreciated, but I think that Flight of intruder (from same house) is better. It has some really exciting fight sceneries. For me seems much more realistic - although I'm not experienced in real air combat :)

Threads like this, better said questions about best games show up from time to time. Instead it, better would be to search for available online lists, surveys.

I know what you mean, but I do sort of like these threads. I missed out on a LOT of great ST gaming back in the day because I had no money and knew very few others with ST. So it's really nice to always get fresh perspectives on this. Of course you are right, but don't know where to look for those lists. It is still nice to hear from other ST people what they like. :)

I'm glad you said Wings of Death, because I find it far more playable and fun than Lethal Excess - all those browns and oranges on level 1 of LXS just look horrible.

On a similar note, Xenon is much better than Xenon 'you can only have all the weapons when there is nothing to shoot at' II: Megablast.

2 D shmups: Xenon, Wings of Death

3 D shmup: Starglider, Midi Maze

platformers: Rodland, Nebulus (aka Tower Toppler)

2 D racing: Super Sprint

3 D racing;: Vroom/F1 (Domark), Buggy Boy, No Second Prize

Edited by CyranoJ

Stunt Car Racer

Microprose Grand Prix

Midwinter

Carrier Command

Rainbow Islands

Super Sprint

Nebulus

Eliminator

Dungeon Master

For some reason a lot of people complained of Hard Drivin' being too hard to control. I always found it very easy.

The above are in no particular order but they were the games I played most.

• 3 weeks later...

I can only really echo what has already been said but there may be a few others in this list -

SHMUP

Flying Shark

Atomic Robokid

Plutos

Xenon II-Megablast

PLATFORM

New Zealand Story

Black Tiger

Turrican I/2

Flood

Nebulus

Gods

Potsworth & Co

Carvup

Torvak The Warrior

Rodland

RACING

Buggy Boy

Super Cars II

Hard Drivin 2

Super Sprint

Lotus turbo challenge I/II

Stunt Car Racer

There are more but that is all I can think off at the moment.

Edited by R.O.T.S
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...