IGNORED

Does anyone make new Atari 8-bit cartridge shells?

Albert

Wow! Looking great!

And holds the case halves together without any screws, I really like that. Reminds me of the Epyx (Pitstop/Eprom) carts that have four pins similar to the four pins that you are using. Epyx however uses a screw in the middle (which is not really required), where you are using a fifth pin. I usually open the Epyx carts with a screwdriver - not only the screw, but also the cart. halves, without breaking the pins, so I think I will be able to do the same with your cart halves...

Interested!

How much do you want for: 1 case or 10 cases (both halves) ?!?

Andreas, I will convert it into days. In Poland, I will sell in batches of 1-5 pieces, 6-10, 11-25, 26-50, 51-100, above 100. I think that I will send abroad similarly and the price will depend on the bulk quantity - plus shipping cost, of course.

Edited by Sikor
bad count

4 hours ago, Sikor said:

Yes. You can see two tiny marks from the injection molding machine on the top of the housing. I will not be able to compensate for them - these are marks from ABS injection.

Is there no way to move those to inside the case or under the label area?

• Like 1

@Mr Robot: unfortunately no-way ;( Too expensive to move it in other place.

@Adam 242 - yes, in 99% yes. I try it today or tommorow - it is same dimension than XE GS style, only 5mm (about 0,2") longer - for 400/800 compatible reason. And Yes, i'll made photo with 400 or 800 and try it with 1200XL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sikor said:

The pre-production series - little things to improve;) Someone initially interested - will be available most likely from February, let me know in the thread.

SAM_2539.thumb.JPG.a9ceb714be6f10e7a98c9689f13e7c79.JPGSAM_2540.thumb.JPG.13f7fd4996cf7e0c9e55ac9b59f15324.JPGSAM_2541.thumb.JPG.29f1c68a03b1c4eee7cb4c3ac2f0e5b0.JPGSAM_2542.thumb.JPG.bc1f5b4f22430814263cf56c56086d9f.JPGSAM_2543.thumb.JPG.73d34d0ebb00d58e13f19c2b0fba307e.JPGSAM_2545.thumb.JPG.e12c4365c4d5ddcba830ce81c36cb401.JPGSAM_2547.thumb.JPG.f4bec63d099ea0f72eaf2d0fa4b81a5d.JPG SAM_2538.thumb.JPG.e950095726cc6ed94c67b269ca8717c1.JPG

Totally interested! I have soñé pcbs with xegs design and also a model to for 2 27c160 eproms. I think it could fit also.

11 hours ago, adam242 said:

And the 800? Those weird European cases only fit the XL/XEs..

So...

Atari 400... PASS (ok)

Atari 800... PASS (ok)

Atari 1200XL... Also PASS (ok)

Bonus pic: XE GS... PASS (ok) ?

SAM_2548.JPG

SAM_2549.JPG

SAM_2550.JPG

SAM_2551.JPG

SAM_2552.JPG

SAM_2553.JPG

SAM_2554.JPG

More pictures (not only mine): http://www.atari.org.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=258228#p258228

Edited by Sikor
external link
  • Like 10

After seeing the price structure, I think it would be wise to organize some group buy for people who only need couple of those shells. I'm willing to invest couple hundred dollars of my money and get the 101+ shells to Chicago, USA. Then I could redistribute them in quantities that fits in small priority box (it's an example right now). I still have to look into this. 

• Like 1

@ZuluGula: In point. When I start production, contact me by email - maybe it would be worth it to distribute enclosures in the USA? It will also be more convenient for me to send one package, I just have to understand some sensible shipping from Poland.

• Like 1

I would like to announce that I'm working on designing template of new PCB in consultation with Sikor. The template will fit perfect into enclosure, will contain cartridge edge connector, and will contain marks where are enclosure elements to simple placement of electronic elements. The template will be shared for free, and could be used for DIY projects and commercial projects without any restrictions. I hope to popularisation of that enclosures, and maybe designers will match some existing projects to them. The template in Eagle format will be available in about a week.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ZuluGula said:

After seeing the price structure, I think it would be wise to organize some group buy for people who only need couple of those shells. I'm willing to invest couple hundred dollars of my money and get the 101+ shells to Chicago, USA. Then I could redistribute them in quantities that fits in small priority box (it's an example right now). I still have to look into this. 

Great - I'd certainly be interested in a few.  I'm sure we can all work together and figure out a decent size shipment for here.

On 1/17/2020 at 2:05 PM, Sikor said:

Yes. You can see two tiny marks from the injection molding machine on the top of the housing. I will not be able to compensate for them - these are marks from ABS injection.

Everything on Earth has a belly-button.  It is inescapable.  Even non-living things have one.  Your XL's and XE shells have these little tits too if you look for them.

This is some amazing work brother.  One can especially appreciate the modifications you have made to the interior.   Are these to accommodate the different properties of your plastic versus Atari's,  or are they just improvements based on a lot of field testing of original cart shells? ?

Jeff

First - yes, material properties. Secondly - 5mm (about 0.2 ") more space at the rear - the possibility of leading additional paths, mounting the switch, etc. All this in a version that matches every 8-bit Atari: 400/800 / 600XL / 800XL / 1200XL / 65XE (with or without ECI port) / 130XE / XE GS.
The well-known and popular PCB boards compatible with Warner and XEGS standards, additionally Mq prepares a template for new boards taking into account the larger surface of the cartridge in the middle from the XEGS standard.
How will they perform at work? Will come out soon.