IGNORED

Does anyone make new Atari 8-bit cartridge shells?

Albert

Yeah, supplying the dimensions is a bare minimum. Not just PCB dimensions. It's not that anybody else is going to shell out (spend) thousands of dollars to have a similar alumin(i)um mold made. There are other 3D models available already, but nobody made them into a mold.

So, I really applaud you for having this made!! I'm sure there are enough projects (like games) that could use your shells. New hardware projects, that might need cut-outs in the shell, not so much I'm afraid. Dremeling 10 cases is a pain in the behind, doing 100+ is out of the question. I believe that's what candle means. If he can't automate cutting out slots for SD Cards (think SIDE3 for example), he won't use your shells.

Edited by ivop
added (spend)
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ivop said:

Yeah, supplying the dimensions is a bare minimum. Not just PCB dimensions. It's not that anybody else is going to shell out (spend) thousands of dollars to have a similar alumin(i)um mold made. There are other 3D models available already, but nobody made them into a mold.

So, I really applaud you for having this made!! I'm sure there are enough projects (like games) that could use your shells. New hardware projects, that might need cut-outs in the shell, not so much I'm afraid. Dremeling 10 cases is a pain in the behind, doing 100+ is out of the question. I believe that's what candle means. If he can't automate cutting out slots for SD Cards (think SIDE3 for example), he won't use your shells.

This. So much this. ^^^^^^ This is what @candle is talking about. For mass production, you have to adjust the mechanicals for your target tooling, and if all you have is the raw dimensions, changes become a manual process for each piece. <-- (underline underline underline)

-Thom

• Like 1

@candle, i don't see your technical drawing project. Google translate: Do not do shit as usual, as I wrote - you can write in Polish atariarea. Oh, I forgot - I think you were offended by people there when they asked about the technical matters of your projects ...

• Haha 1

Google translate:

OKAY. I won't answer any more for provocations. If someone has a question for me - please use a messenger. Further my entries in this thread will appear after receiving the production batch, I hope that earlier Mq will upload here its template PCB design. Candle knows well that my English is poor and he is deliberately exploiting the situation - I wish him luck in new projects, but I will not answer the claim on others when he tries to hide details of his achievements, drawing ideas from open projects.

Hello Candle and Sikor

It is clear to me and probably a lot of other people here, that you guys are not going to agree on the point of "measurements".  You've both told us how you feel about the need to be more precise and it seems that you can not agree on that.  There is no point in repeating this over and over again.  You are not going to agree.  So please stop arguing!  The future will tell us who is right and who is wrong.  Or not.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Candle and Sikor

It is clear to me and probably a lot of other people here, that you guys are not going to agree on the point of "measurements".  You've both told us how you feel about the need to be more precise and it seems that you can not agree on that.  There is no point in repeating this over and over again.  You are not going to agree.  So please stop arguing!  The future will tell us who is right and who is wrong.  Or not.

Sincerely

Mathy

I do agree. I am tired of reading these posts. Please stop. 

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

Sorry for taking so long to get back.   Been tied up with work on my XM's and just work in general.   So here is the shell I think you guys really want.   The XE game shells, the two piece plastic shells were actually designed by Warner Atari Inc in 1982 as a replacement for the Plastic/Metal shells done by Craig Asher for the 400/800 in 79.   So here is the full sheet.   Sorry about the shadows on it, I don't have time right now to go to Fedex/Kinko's to run this through the scanner and its E sized and would take me an hour to try and scan each section in then run it through the composite assembler to make one image.

I hope this is good enough for everyone.  I also have the later 2600/7800 shells as well, if anyone needs those I can post those up in the 2600 and 7800 forums.    Same goes for the 5200 shells too... if anyone needs something, please PM me, I'm sitting of thousands of sheets of mechanicals and hopefully over time, all this stuff will be digitized and posted up.   Anyone want to kick in a few $100 and of a few grand to the Atari Museum to help me with funds to go to Kinko's or to lease of buy a used large format scanner, I would gladly accept the help please.

8-bit-cart_shell.thumb.jpg.f8a62ab3a013bf9477dab527f84a0b49.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Mq made schema for my shells. So (google translate) use it at any project you want - commercial or not. Translate from Polish by google:

In the attachments:
- image of the printscreen drawing of the board with the cartridge connector in Eagle
- test1,2,3,4 pictures with printed and cut out of paper pcb board fitted to the housing and comparison with the original pcb enclosed in the cases
- zip file containing the Eagle library and an empty project using this library if you prefer

The board itself is perfectly matched to the housing.
All thick white lines indicate the bulkhead space and are intended to facilitate positioning of components on pcb. These thick lines are drawn on the "Document" layer, so you can easily turn on / off the view, and this layer is also not involved in the production of pcb.
The board is prepared upside down by default - in the sense that the bottom side of the cartridge is on top. Of course, with one click you can turn it around in Eagle, but I did it because Sikor's enclosure has much more space underneath than on top, so during designing most elements will be placed on this side. In Eagle, however, it is much more convenient to draw if we have elements on top, hence the patent. On the original plates from what I saw, Atari also made elements underneath the cartridge, so you can see Atari wanted it ?

License: since lately it has become fashionable to drag out copyright themes, I decide to write a license for the project here. I don't like being lined up so I don't want any standard license. I hereby grant the following license: you can use Eagle files attached to this post in any way, you can use it commercially, non-commercially, you can modify it freely, you can even sign the project with your name, you do not need to inform me, you do not need to provide me as the author. In short, I give it to everyone for free and everyone can do anything they want. Bless you:-)

Mq-pcb-Sikor.jpg

test1_Mq.jpg

test2_Mq.jpg

test3_Mq.jpg

test4_Mq.jpg

Thank You, Mq! You are great!

Mq-Atari-cartridge-Sikor.zip

Edited by Sikor
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Oh, I wanted to write some words about the project and share it by myself, but I see Sikor overtook me:-) Ok, google translate is not ideal, but I think everything is understandable. I can answer the questions if there are any.

Thank you for all you gave us! I’m truly interested in your cases!

I just have a couple of questions:

1. Does the standard Atari pcbs fit in your case? I’m asking that because my designs were done that way.

2. In the case I would be using Mq’s pcb design, in which layer should I place the components? I’m a little confused with the printed test and the eagle image. It seems its reflected. Would you confirm it?

Thank you in advance!

I answer to 2nd point.

Yes, pcb library is reflected by default, because in the cartridge enclosure there is more space in the bottom then top. So like in original Atari cartridges I recommend to place most elements on the bottom layer. It's easier to design in Eagle on turned around pcb, so you have components in the top, while they are in fact in the bottom. But you can turn around pcb in Eagle by one click if you want of course.

The "paper fitting test" on the pictures shows the same piece of paper fitted in the top and bottom half of enclosure. It doesn't show proper sides of pcb, but just a dimensions and fitting.