Jump to content
Albert

Does anyone make new Atari 8-bit cartridge shells?

Recommended Posts

Just now, Stephen said:

Man are those sharp!  If they were available in the early 80s when I had my 400, I would ave spent more time staring at the "magic" PCM inside, than playing the game.  Fast forward 40 years - I am still just as fascinated :)

I do love the translucent shells! 

 

 ..Al

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Albert said:

I do love the translucent shells! 

 

 ..Al

The 1st cart I ever took apart was Gorf.  When I got a 130XE to replace my 400 (48kB with B-Key), Gorf no longer worked.  Me being the 13 year old know-it-all, said I'll take the cart apart and figure it out.  Wow - how could this flat board with angular lines and a "bug" with legs make a game?

 

Somehow, it's 2020 and I've been putting dinner on the table by coding.  It's still magic, but I will never forget the early days, when everything was unknown magic.  I give thanks to the early pioneers that made this all possible, and my parents, who got me my 1st computer and told me it was not going to be just a games machine.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Stephen said:

(...)  It's still magic, but I will never forget the early days, when everything was unknown magic.  I give thanks to the early pioneers that made this all possible, and my parents, who got me my 1st computer and told me it was not going to be just a games machine.

 

You got that SoOoOo right (!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Somehow, it's 2020 and I've been putting dinner on the table by coding.  It's still magic, but I will never forget the early days, when everything was unknown magic.  I give thanks to the early pioneers that made this all possible, and my parents, who got me my 1st computer and told me it was not going to be just a games machine.

Very well said. I only earned money through coding once, but nevertheless it was great to be on the forefront of the computer moving from the lab out into the world even if we did not really know about that as teenagers and just had a cool new ‚thing‘ that we could explore in all its aspects, BASIC (and beyond) being one of them. Having (at least looking back as a father of three) endless time certainly helped as the best of games would not keep us entertained forever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the first time that I got paid to program was in high school when the computer programming teacher told one of his students to pay me to write the homework assignment program for him.  I got $10, and iirc, I wrote him a piano program for the Atari 800.  I sort of remember writing programs for several other people for cash while in high school.  I also had a college professor pay me $100 to write him a word processor for his Kaypro PC-compatible in 1985.

 

Good times!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Albert said:

Just built a few games using these new cartridge

Will Adventure II and Scramble be available for sale or are they just teasers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, slx said:

Will Adventure II and Scramble be available for sale or are they just teasers?

They will be. Scramble first, and Adventure II some time after that (hopefully not too long after). 
 

  ..Al

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scramble was already publicated for free as I think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mq. said:

Scramble was already publicated for free as I think?

Yes, you can download it for free. 
 

 ..Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will you be offering a cart making service like you have for the 5200?

 

When is the 800 cart rarity db going to be online, it'd be nice to look up homebrews/protos for the 800 they way we can for the 5200

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr Robot said:

Will you be offering a cart making service like you have for the 5200?

Likely, yes.

Just now, Mr Robot said:

When is the 800 cart rarity db going to be online, it'd be nice to look up homebrews/protos for the 800 they way we can for the 5200

That's a fair question. :)

 

Right now I'm researching new eCommerce software so I can replace the current AtariAge Store with something better. Once I get that behind me, I will be working on rewriting the entire database from scratch. This will include adding Atari 8-bit and Atari ST sections, and later arcade games.  Some of the changes I'm making to the database will allow me to better support computers than what I have now.  I also want to add all the homebrew games to the database (for all supported systems), which will take a bit of effort.

 

 ..Al

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...