IGNORED

Question about the Sears Co. Tele-games

trustandfall

So, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, and its my first post on the forums so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong place.

I recently started collecting, and am very new to it. I picked up an Atari bundle today from someone and found a slew of various numbered "tele-games".

The one's I acquired are...

Tele-games 3 (Football) This one says "Football" on the top label"

Tele-games 8 (Canyon Bomber & Sea Bomber) This one says "Canyon Bomber" on the top label

Tele-games 8 - This one says "Video Chess" on the top label.

Tele-games 9 (Maze? The top label on this one is gone, and the only game listed on the front face of the cartridge is Maze)

Tele-games 27 (Shooting Gallery, Planes, Submarines, Ships) This one says "Target Fun" on the top label.

Tele-games 50 (Pong, Hockey, Soccer, Volleyball, Basketball) This one says "Pong Sports" on the top label.

Tele-games 112 (Space Invaders) This one says "Space Invaders" on the top label.

I have two questions...

One, I typically use http://videogames.pricecharting.com/ to gauge value on my games. Do I use the top label name to do this here? For instance, if I choose the 2600 list of games on that site, and go to Canyon Bomber, is that the value of my Tele-Games 8 Canyon Bomber cart that has Sea Bomber on it as well?

My second question is, I found this link for Tele-games 50 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/50-Tele-Games-Pong-Sports-Atari-2600/dp/B0039MGM80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405566636&sr=8-1&keywords=tele-games+50

Is that cart really worth $75+

The value is not important to me as far as a "selling" perspective, but more for personal knowledge. I enjoy educating myself and knowing what my collection is worth.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums and game collecting!

Here's some info about Sears and the Tele-games brand, along with a rarity guide of the Tele-games carts. https://atariage.com/company_page.html?SystemID=2600&CompanyID=2

To answer your first question, I personally don't use videogames.pricecharting.com on 2600 games unless it's a game that's a 6/10 on the rarity scale or higher, and even then I only use it as a reference. The Tele-games carts you have are common ones and can normally be found loose (cart only) for around $0.50-2 each.

To answer your second question, a loose copy of Tele-games 50 (Pong Sports) is not worth $75 whatsoever. I've been able to find copies of the game for about a dollar.

Good luck with your collection! I hope you enjoy the hobby.

Welcome to the forums and game collecting!

Here's some info about Sears and the Tele-games brand, along with a rarity guide of the Tele-games carts. https://atariage.com/company_page.html?SystemID=2600&CompanyID=2

To answer your first question, I personally don't use videogames.pricecharting.com on 2600 games unless it's a game that's a 6/10 on the rarity scale or higher, and even then I only use it as a reference. The Tele-games carts you have are common ones and can normally be found loose (cart only) for around $0.50-2 each.

To answer your second question, a loose copy of Tele-games 50 (Pong Sports) is not worth $75 whatsoever. I've been able to find copies of the game for about a dollar.

Good luck with your collection! I hope you enjoy the hobby.

Thank you for the link! Definitely informative. I appreciate it.

It certainly seems like pricing is a bit all over the place. In the same bundle I picked up today I also got "Snoopy and the Red Baron". It seems to go for $30+ on Amazon, but on videogames.pricecharting.com it said it was worth, I believe, around $11.50 or so.

I'm keeping anything and everything I find unless it's a duplicate so the value doesn't matter for now to me, but it is nice to know what sort of dollar figure my growing collection is worth. Thanks again. :)

It certainly seems like pricing is a bit all over the place. In the same bundle I picked up today I also got "Snoopy and the Red Baron". It seems to go for $30+ on Amazon, but on videogames.pricecharting.com it said it was worth, I believe, around $11.50 or so.

I'm keeping anything and everything I find unless it's a duplicate so the value doesn't matter for now to me, but it is nice to know what sort of dollar figure my growing collection is worth. Thanks again. :)

No problem. :) Getting Snoopy and the Red Baron with your 2600 bundle is definitely a score. I've been trying to find a copy myself for quite a while. It's a fun game to play.

Amazon "prices" are basically whatever some random moron wants to charge. I've seen SMB/Duck Hunt for $25 there, and that's literally the most common cartridge ever made. Most price charting websites are a complete joke because they actually take this as a real value. I could become an Amazon seller and list E.T. for $50,000, and really screw with these websites.

Completed Ebay listings are really the only halfway-decent pricing at this point.

I too have basically just started collecting Atari 2600 games. I like to buy sealed, new games whenever possible. So, a question:

Are there basically no more sealed Sears games any longer? I have searched but never found one.

Also, sometimes when I buy sealed games, I wonder if they have actually been re-sealed. In fact, the last few sealed Activision games I bought had black-and-white direction booklets and no catalogs inside. Could these have been re-sealed pirated games?

I also have a question about Atari games that had comic books in them. I bought Phoenix, and I believe that was supposed to come with a comic. But it didn't have one inside. Was there a point where there was no comic? Same thing happened with Berzerk, if I recall.

Buying sealed is a sucker's bet. You have no way of ever knowing if it's original, or not - and given the insane markup people will pay for some cellophane on cardboard, it's worth it to people to learn how to fake it very, very well.

Considering that the contents in question suffer pretty much zero damage from losing their plastic wrappings, I've never understood why people bother. And from what I understand, original Atari games didn't actually get manufactured in plastic anyway. That was all done at the retailer.

Thanks for the reply, Free. It's funny you say the thing about the plastic and the retailer -- I assume you mean that Atari shipped their games just in the box with no wrapping. I sometimes get games that have no plastic but appear sealed and new, and sometimes I find some that are in that condition yet wrapped. That might be an explanation for what I have encountered.