IGNORED

Commodore 64 Remake

Now that is awesome! :-o :) :thumbsup:

I assume that you can load C64 software via the micro-USB port? I also suppose that you can plug a standard PC keyboard via the micro-USB port, so you don't have to mess around with the touch-screen too much?

If you were to do something similar with the ColecoVision, I would build a shrine in my living room to worship you. :D

• Like 1

Thanks for all kind words :) . I'm happy to see fellow nerds still cheering for the old C64, warms my heart. I never did own a ColecoVision :(

* That things pretty sweet :) how much does something like that cost?

I'm not sure but I would not be surprised if I spent around 1000$ for the whole thing including prototyping stuff. Six layer custom board does not come cheap when produced in such low quantities ;)

Just the board with components (no tooling costs from fab included) would set you back around 50$. The display is around the same price.

* I assume that you can load C64 software via the micro-USB port?

No, this is not possible. The micro usb just provides the power. But I have 4 Gbyte of flash that I can load with whatever I would like to run. Today I store about 30k games there (including the roms for the C64 ofc).

* I also suppose that you can plug a standard PC keyboard via the micro-USB port, so you don't have to mess around with the touch-screen too much?

I'm sorry to say that this is not possible, I need to fiddle around with the touch screen :( . When it comes to throwing a grenade in Commando, it kinda sucks I agree (the touch keyboard does however work even though you don't see it)..

If I would like to have support for keyboard I need to use the UART port.

* If you were to do something similar with the ColecoVision, I would build a shrine in my living room to worship you. :D

That sounds fabulous :-D .There is actually no restrictions in the hardware to just be a C64. It could become a ColecoVision as well :D (SID6581 sound chip that was used in C64 needs to be switched to SN76489 though)

* Can you set the display to not be stretched?

Yes, that would not be any problem, but it is not implemented in current version. One line needs to be changed in the code to get original screen. I have learned to like the wide screen actually...

Cheers,

StaringL

I assume that you can load C64 software via the micro-USB port?

No, this is not possible. The micro usb just provides the power. But I have 4 Gbyte of flash that I can load with whatever I would like to run. Today I store about 30k games there (including the roms for the C64 ofc).

Alright, but how do you update the flash with new content?

If you were to do something similar with the ColecoVision, I would build a shrine in my living room to worship you. :D

That sounds fabulous :-D .There is actually no restrictions in the hardware to just be a C64. It could become a ColecoVision as well :D (SID6581 sound chip that was used in C64 needs to be switched to SN76489 though)

Is the SN76489 even available anymore? Still, it would be cool to see. In fact, the touch screen could easely be used as the Coleco controller keypad, which means the whole device could be encased in a custom plastic casing with a D-Pad and buttons on the side.

Here's a mockup I quickly devised to show how it could work:

post-7743-0-56377500-1405631371_thumb.png

• Like 2

Is the SN76489 even available anymore? Still, it would be cool to see. In fact, the touch screen could easely be used as the Coleco controller keypad, which means the whole device could be encased in a custom plastic casing with a D-Pad and buttons on the side.Here's a mockup I quickly devised to show how it could work:

Oh man, I would be all over this!! :cool:

I gave this some further thought tonight, and I believe that a handheld would not be a good form factor for a device like this. Considering how wide the screen is, a tabletop would be preferable. See below for an example.

Notice how easy it would be to use the touch screen keypad with the way the screen is positioned. It's no accident that the casing looks a lot like a classic Coleco tabletop, because the base needs to be wide enough to be played both on a table or on the player's lap. :)

post-7743-0-58047800-1405647652_thumb.png

I gave this some further thought tonight, and I believe that a handheld would not be a good form factor for a device like this. Considering how wide the screen is, a tabletop would be preferable. See below for an example.Notice how easy it would be to use the touch screen keypad with the way the screen is positioned. It's no accident that the casing looks a lot like a classic Coleco tabletop, because the base needs to be wide enough to be played both on a table or on the player's lap. :)

Would be nice! :thumbsup:

You should post this idea in the CV section

Another possibility: If the player doesn't like having the game screen pushed aside to make room for the overlay (like in my War Games mockup) the emulator could offer custom alternatives that allow the game screen to remain centered. For example:

post-7743-0-14118200-1405649003_thumb.png

• Like 1

Would be nice! :thumbsup:

You should post this idea in the CV section

You're right, I really should. It's not nice of me to highjack this thread.

My apologies to StaringLizard. :)

EDIT: New ColecoVision-centric thread is here. I hope StaringLizard will leave a comment or two. ;)

As for the need for a physical sound chip, I fully understand in the case of the SID which has proven to be complex to emulate and recreate. However I beg to think that SN76489 or AY-3-8910 should be much more straightforward to include cores for in the programmable MCU, so I think sourcing external vintage chips would not be an issue in that case.

Alright, but how do you update the flash with new content?

The content in flash is updated using UART port. The maximum transfer rate for MCU is 5250000 baud.

You're right, I really should. It's not nice of me to highjack this thread.

My apologies to StaringLizard. :)

No problem mate

I notice your new to AtariAge so I thought I'd do a little shameless self promotion of a similar project of mine that may interest you. I must admit I used no original circuit design and no original coding either so it's very amateur in comparison to your work. It's simply a raspberry pi in a custom enclosure that I have set up to emulate a C64. I have made quite a few more additions to it since I started this thread but never posted them. I may do that when I get some more time. I'd also like to make a sweet little video like yours showing some actual game play. I've been spending allot of time playing space taxi since I finished this thing... I love your work it is a thing of beauty in both form and function. Anyway if your interested check out this thread.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/223209-my-brand-new-vintage-computer/

Edited by Dripfree