IGNORED

Dead Cart Help

LeeJ07

Hello, can anyone give me some tips and info on dead carts? I have a copy of Defender that appears to be a dud, but someone recently told me that Atari carts are very resilient, not usually prone to dying so easily. Is there anyway I can ascertain without doubt whether a cart is dead or not? Trying it on another 2600 is out of the question because I only have access to one.

Rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip on the cartridge contacts. Scrub until you see no more black coming off. Alternate wet (with alcohol) and dry Q-tips.

As for dead carts... I've seen a few. Maybe 4 or 5 in 1000. Some people really didn't take very good care of their stuff, and while ROM chips shouldn't be sensitive to static, I've always wondered. I have a few carts at home that look absolutely MINT like they were kept in perfect conditions, and yet they will not play on any console I try them in. So *something* has happened.

Beyond that - it's Defender. Probably the 2nd or 3rd most common 2600 cart in my experience. I would give you one for free if you were in my house.

No, but now that you mention it I did come across a couple of Pitfall IIs that took a lot of TLC to make work. Seems to be par for the course with these guys. They mostly just need to be inserted "just so" - kinda like Intellivisions when the console's been mistreated a bit. You have to be careful not to force them in too far.