IGNORED

HOW TO Catalog Your Games

10 hours ago, sut said:

How do you catalogue games that are  in a compilation ? Take Castlevania Anniversary Collection for example and Super Castlevania IV.

So I own Super Castlevania IV on the PS4 which emulates the SNES version.

How would you catalogue it ?

a). Super Castlevania IV on PS4

b). Super Castlevania IV on SNES

c). Not catalogue it at all and just catalogue the compilation 

d). Something I haven’t thought of.

Sorry if this is anal but it has been bugging me for ages and I can’t seem to stick to any one method. So thought I would ask how everyone else would catalogue it.

I catalog based on how someone else would go about buying the EXACT SAME THING I have. That way, if someone tries my copy, or hears me gush over it, they get the right thing.

I would simply add Castlevania Anniversary Collection to PS4 to my set. If you really, REALLY must specify the exact titles, the Super Castlevania IV on PS4 with a note about the collection. NEVER list it as SNES- it's not the SNES version. It's the PS4 port. There are things that are different (even if it's just display options). It's an important distinction for a collection!

It's been over 6 years since I commented on how I do my cataloging and inventorying. Not a whole lot changed. I continue to use offline locally-stored PC based files like simple text/word/excel files along with a semi-orderly NTFS folder layout for photos, notes, documentation, scans, and emulation. It works equally well for software and hardware and other paraphernalia. It's a rather organic tree that branches out in ways that make perfect sense to me. One of those mind-maps if you will.

I've been doing this for a long long time, since the mid-1990's. Earlier if you count various experimental formats while I was finding my way. I don't do things online, or anything that requires subscriptions, or anything that can (or will) change over the years. Or is under someone else's control. Backing it up is as simple as copying the files. And it's accessible on any PC. No need to work with a tediously small screen.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions think I will go with:

Super Castlevania IV (Castlevania Anniversary Collection)

Platform: PS4

I double mine as a playlist as well, personal ratings and if I have completed the game etc.

I also like to list games I don’t own but have played. For example mega expensive games, imports or only available via emulation (Mame). E.g. Darxide on 32x played on Mega SD. I don’t own it, but I have played it so want on my list for personal ratings, if completed, etc.

The game is not good enough for me to spend my life saving getting an original copy.

Perhaps it may be better for me to have a separate collectors app/list and a played app/list ?

GamEye seems good for console games but lacking for my big in Europe stuff, there are not many entries for my Atari ST games and I presume the  ZX Spectrum may be similar.

I like the ability to have it on my phone as I have 3 consoles in the living room and my others hooked up in the loft so makes it easier to move around.

Edited by sut
Typos

On 9/7/2020 at 4:54 AM, sut said:

Thanks for the suggestions think I will go with:

Super Castlevania IV (Castlevania Anniversary Collection)

Platform: PS4

I double mine as a playlist as well, personal ratings and if I have completed the game etc.

I also like to list games I don’t own but have played. For example mega expensive games, imports or only available via emulation (Mame). E.g. Darxide on 32x played on Mega SD. I don’t own it, but I have played it so want on my list for personal ratings, if completed, etc.

The game is not good enough for me to spend my life saving getting an original copy.

Perhaps it may be better for me to have a separate collectors app/list and a played app/list ?

GamEye seems good for console games but lacking for my big in Europe stuff, there are not many entries for my Atari ST games and I presume the  ZX Spectrum may be similar.

I like the ability to have it on my phone as I have 3 consoles in the living room and my others hooked up in the loft so makes it easier to move around.

Gameye is great (I use it on my phone), but for different regions, it's terrible (for now).

If a system or a game is currently missing however, you can go to the data base and add it. I've done so for about a dozen arcade PCBs.