IGNORED

HELP! - S.O.S. - RED ALERT! --- Newsletter Overload!

Omega-TI

Cool, you're here! Did my topic title get your attention? :-D

Listen, I need your help & advice. I wanted to do a 'little' nostalgic TI reading, but... there is just so damn much at << THIS SITE >>, I really have no clue where to start. Any suggestions? Expert advice? Personal knowledge of the best stuff?

I found one real nice newsletter so far. You might recognize a few names, but it's always sad to see a 'final issue'.

ftp://whtech.com/user%20groups/Southwest%2099ers/southwest0002.pdf

gallery_35324_1027_119532.jpg

• Like 1

9T9 Users Group - Only because I was member, even help produced some of them.

Another group is Lima ones because they held alot of fairs, so good news coverage in their newletters, same goes for the chicago ones and of course the southwest 99ers.

Boy, you were NOT kidding! Some of those Chicago newsletters classify a full-fledged BOOKS!

I used to belong to the VANCOUVER group called "N.O.V.A.". I wonder if anyone else can fill in the blanks there? I know there are other people here at Atari Age that belonged to the group... how about it guys, anyone still holding onto a newsletter or two they can scan in?

Listen, I need your help & advice. I wanted to do a 'little' nostalgic TI reading, but... there is just so damn much at << THIS SITE >>, I really have no clue where to start. Any suggestions? Expert advice? Personal knowledge of the best stuff?

I found one real nice newsletter so far. You might recognize a few names, but it's always sad to see a 'final issue'.

Damn you sir!!!!!!!,

I had intended a Saturday of relaxation and now I have to spend most of it reading, the first PDF has some really good tips in it which I am embarrassed to say-I had no idea about.

Quite surprised by the quality of the UK issues.

Oh well-my TI documents folder is about to expand again :)

• Like 1

Damn you sir!!!!!!!,

I had intended a Saturday of relaxation and now I have to spend most of it reading, the first PDF has some really good tips in it which I am embarrassed to say-I had no idea about.

Quite surprised by the quality of the UK issues.

Oh well-my TI documents folder is about to expand again :)

Thanks for the heads up on the UK ones. I just checked them out... and ordered more ink for the printer! I'll need it. I've already printed up a couple (double sided like the originals), but the TI*MES one from the UK looks especially good and large. I don't know what it is, maybe I'm just old, but I prefer to read off of paper and have something tangible to hold onto. Is that part of the nostalgia?

You know, in this day of desktop publishing, color, high resolution graphics, digital cameras and Photoshop, I've always wondered what a 'Modern Day' TI-99/4A newsletter would look like and what kind of content it would have.

• Like 1

gallery_35324_1027_119532.jpg

I was a member of the Washington, DC users group (DCUG), which published the Manners Newsletter showing in the middle of your pic. I have a lot more issues of the newsletter than are on WHTech. One of these days I may try to scan them. The only problem is that some (many?) of them will not scan well because they are difficult to read in the original. I also have many that are copies, which might even be worse. A few have my personal annotations, which will also make scanning them problematic. At various times, I have tried to track down some of the old members responsible for publication, with no success. I really would like to have a complete set to scan, but that will probably never happen.

There were a few very talented folks who were members of DCUG. One—Dave Ramsey—wrote the "Under the Hood" column, which was mostly about TMS9900 Assembly Language programming. He got really excited about TI-Forth's Assembler until he realized its RPN nature with the instruction coming after the source and destination locations and, especially, the reverse logic of the conditional jump tokens. At the time, I wish I had been better acquainted with ALC programming on the TI because I am convinced I could have persuaded him to change his mind. Alas, he was not to be swayed.

Though I did not know him, Bruce Harrison of "The Art of Assembly" fame was probably a member because he lived in Hyattsville, MD (I think), which is well inside the beltway.

...lee

Edited by Lee Stewart
  • Like 1

Was nice seeing the cover of a Milwaukee Area UG newsletter -- I have many fond memories of dragging my system to monthly UG gatherings....