IGNORED

Project -L

voltron

I understand the reasoning behind tying a ROM to a specific LTO.

It is interesting though that Nintnedo uses basically the same approach to its digital sales and gamers generally dispise them for it. They complain that they cannot just reload games when buying replacement units. It also means that when a unit fails, you have to spend it back to Nintendo so it can transfer the games or change your replacement unit's "identity" to make it work with your purchased games.

Considering I have two Wiis, two 3 DSs and a WiU, I must not have much of a problem with such a policy.

Have you needed to send them in?

Your assumption that I will sell more copies with lower prices is incorrect. This is not selling a commodity where price is the deciding factor on which item to buy.

How do you know that for sure? If you're sitting on inventory you'd rather not be sitting on, have you tried deeply discounting them? If you have an unlimited (or sufficient) amount of resources to produce whatever at any given time, then you surely have what is by definition: commodities. These carts, boxes, manuals, circuit boards, etc. are all made up of commodities. It's the purposeful limiting of distribution by price point AND quantities that are making the perceived difference.

You've got to know this on levels since you were surprised by "lack of interest" in certain titles. And admission that people refused to buy single copies because they "expected" a discount. It *is* about the price. If it weren't, you'd have more orders, plain and simple. I know I've passed on several (most) titles as of late strictly due to pricing and I know others that feel the same way. I'm sorry if you are offended at the notion that not every modern homebrew or release is worth X amount of dollars to everyone - just because.

Oh and I use the term "whack-a-doodle" lovingly to describe a few fanatics tongue-in-cheek like as I've been guilty of this from time to time too - but atypically of video games. :lol:

"Unfortunately, bundling games did not have the desired effect regarding increasing sales numbers. We are re-evaluating our business model."

That is to bad. I actually used the "bundle" a few times in the past.

I must admit, it was strange to me that your website suggested waiting to buy paddle party and match 5 in a bundle for a significantly lower price.

Then I thought, maybe one or both are not selling? Or maybe they are just to busy to pump them out at the moment and are creating a wait

without (not having them in stock) until things calm down.

As far as the collector not buying Carol... I would just say...Don't miss out! The packaging,cart,manual are brilliant!

Plus if you play the game, you should pay those whom made it happen so they will make the next great game. Oh, some extra's are in the box as well.

The gate folded boxes are incredible! Reminds me of those great days of old. Before the cost cutting measures Mattel started around 82.

Thanks to all that are involved in programming, designing, distributing and believing that it is viable to do so!

I hope the flashback can bring in a new generation of intellivision gamers or at least remind some old timers about the system and they do some rediscovery...

I've got no copies of anything at the moment. We are totally out of boards and shells. Copies of Old School and Kroz will be going directly to SoulBuster from LTO for distribution.

I could endlessly debate what price is the 'correct' price. When I said that I am not selling a commodity I mean like this definition ". A basic good used in commerce that is interchangeable with other commodities of the same type."

Something like sugar....you can get it anywhere and it is essentially the same stuff everywhere......price is paramount.

Since nobody can get Paddle Party anywhere else except from me, it is a unique item. People either want it or they don't. Price is less important. My entire group of friends would not take a copy of Paddle Party if I gave it to them for free.

If I sell it for $70 and 3 people are interested, I make $210..... If I lower the price to $50 and I get one more person to buy because of price, I make $200....$10 less and in fact, have to manufacture (and pay for) the 4th item.

I'd love to make these cheaper. However, until I start selling every title as well as D2K I can't without losing money. Paddle Party sold at $50 each for two and $60 for one as an introductory price....numbers did not increase.....when the sale was over, people were miffed that they missed out on the price and told me they wanted the discount or they wouldn't buy. The discount did not help me in any way.

I very well may relaunch both Match 5 and Paddle Party in a cheaper bundle.... but right now, they are out of stock.

Hey William,

Count me as your friend.

I have and will always support whatever you do for the Intellivision.

Everything you have ever produced has been quality, delivered on time and at a very fair price.

Thank you for all the great work and effort, so outstanding and very much appreciated by me! Dale W.

Hey William,

Count me as your friend.

I have and will always support whatever you do for the Intellivision.

Everything you have ever produced has been quality, delivered on time and at a very fair price.

Thank you for all the great work and effort, so outstanding and very much appreciated by me! Dale W.

Thank you Dale. I am however, not looking for praise. I've simply tried to answer some questions regarding our games.

There are a lot of things to consider. I'd like to sell Boulder Dash for $60 but I don't know if I would be rewarded with more sales. Right now, experience is telling me 'no'. But with a high profile game I might try it. I am NOT setting the price here.....there is a lot to consider. I get it. Most people think lower price is equal to more sales. That is not always the case. However, who doesn't like a bargain? If numbers are there, it can be done....if you miscalculate you lose money.

One of the 'sticking points' with manufacturing IP games is their belief that you must retail for $30. If I was selling 2000 copies, sure.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to continue this conversation, we can open a new thread. This one is for talking about Locutus.

Which of course is a product that uses low cost roms...... and we are certainly excited that we can offer our games to people where price DOES make a big difference on if they buy.

• Like 2

I try to check here as often as possible.

But I will have a several week checkout from time to time.

Life happens, When I go on vacation, I tend to be untethered. I work on software and databases all week. I don't even take a smart phone with me!

Or I'll get tied up on projects and not have a chance to check things out here properly.

I do like that your plan is to always have a game available. I truly HATE pre-orders and serial numbers etc.

I don't give a shit if I have number 1 or 23 trillion as long as the game is good. In a group that in best cases will sell 500 copies... I will have one of those!

I am sad to here about paddle party. I am interested in getting this game. I have flirted with various breakout/pong/warlord games in the past and have never been able to get them right.

I like the "english" or spin you can put on the ball. It is a nice touch. But I guess the genre would have even been "retro" for us back in 1981.

I must say.... I put a lot of hours in to pong games back in the monochrome days :) Not to forget about the black and white vector games.... Man, what I could do with all those quarters. LOL

Hey Willie - When LTOFlash is out and ROMs start being sold, will there be PDF copies of game manuals or will manuals/overlays be available separately? or game instructions overlay image on a web-page? Any thoughts or plans you can share on that? Granted many of us never use the manuals or overlays, but it is always good knowing it is there if needed.

Troy

Hey Willie - When LTOFlash is out and ROMs start being sold, will there be PDF copies of game manuals or will manuals/overlays be available separately? or game instructions overlay image on a web-page? Any thoughts or plans you can share on that? Granted many of us never use the manuals or overlays, but it is always good knowing it is there if needed.

Troy

Digital copies can come with a Manual PDF.

Physical copies will be available as well of the manual and overlays. Prices to be determined. Obviously, the PDF would be free

• Like 2

A new Intellivision MultiCart is headed to your Intellivision this summer. Originally codenamed: Locutus, the LtoFlash is the final name. This user friendly 'drag and drop' based multicart should be available for purchase by the arrival and revealed at the upcoming retro gaming convention CGE 2k14. A price point is an estimated $119.00 and comes in an Elektronite produced gatefold box with manual. The initial production run should be plentiful and if there is a sellout, more units will be made. More info on ordering will come out soon from LEFT TURN ONLY. Some highlighted features are:

Official name is: LtoFlash . Codenamed Locutus

Produced by Joe Z, William M, Steve O, and VOLTRON!

Very user friendly

No Sd card needed

Usb2 cable included

More integrated and turn key than cc3

Limited DRM capability, some purchased rom games could only play on your personal LTOFLASH

Download ROMS on self contained cartridge connected to modern pc

Flash on board

Built in file system

Drag and drop game ROM loading user interface

Menu system on PC and Cartridge

Gatefold Elektronite box, new art, same artist, prints in July, artwork is retro futuristic

Steve Orth programmed interface

Compatible with all existing original mattel games

Potential future multiplayer through USB connected through serial link with special program

Developers may load ROMS instantly

1MB of memory

Field upgradable by flash updates

All current game ROMS works on all systems and accessories

Initial production run should have plenty available

Estimated retail price of $119.00

Possible launch at cge 2k14

Only 1MB of Memory? That's not enough for all the ROMS. My Games folder where all the ROMs are stored on the memory card in my CCS totals 278 items, totalling 4.9 MB that is more then 4 time more then 1MB

Only 1MB of Memory? That's not enough for all the ROMS. My Games folder where all the ROMs are stored on the memory card in my CCS totals 278 items, totalling 4.9 MB that is more then 4 time more then 1MB

There are 32 MB of flash for storage (ROMs). Separately, there is 1 MB of RAM for use during program execution.

• Like 2

Specifications

1MB RAM, organized as 512K x 16 bits. Fully available to new games via bank switching.

32MB on board flash. No need to open the cartridge to change an SD card.

High speed USB 2.0 serial connection. Supports speeds up to 1Mbit/sec. Serial port available to new game software.

Intuitive Windows and Macintosh graphics user interface.

Field upgradable. When new features become available, an upgrade is a click away.

JLP Flash support. Games can save up to 192K bytes of information in the on-board flash.

JLP Acceleration support. Gives new game writers an edge.

There's 32MB flash storage for the ROMs. That's double the 16MB microSD card that many folks used with their CC3. (I believe Chad began providing 16MB SD cards with the CC3 by the end.)

The 1MB RAM is used during execution, and is 8 times the size of what the Intellicart or CC3 offered. Folks will be able to write absolutely huge games. :-) To put this in context, the largest game published so far is around 80K bytes. So, games can grow to 12x the size of the current largest game out there. :-)

• Like 2

There's 32MB flash storage for the ROMs. That's double the 16MB microSD card that many folks used with their CC3. (I believe Chad began providing 16MB SD cards with the CC3 by the end.)

The 1MB RAM is used during execution, and is 8 times the size of what the Intellicart or CC3 offered. Folks will be able to write absolutely huge games. :-) To put this in context, the largest game published so far is around 80K bytes. So, games can grow to 12x the size of the current largest game out there. :-)

That's more RAM than I had on the first PC I think I ran an Intellivision emulator on!

Well... Maybe not... Did the first one require a 486? But, it's definitely more RAM than we had in the first few PCs my family owned (couple Tandy 1000 models). Not counting the TRS-80 variants we used. (Dad was loyal to Tandy for a long time...) Can't recall how much was in the first 386 we had.

Edited by intvsteve

Also, I should mention that the LTO Flash! does pack ROM images with a lightweight packing scheme. That 80K game I mentioned packs down to 64K on LTO Flash. All of the original catalog titles pack even further. World Series Major League Baseball packs from 48K bytes down to under 32K bytes.

So, that 32MB stretches even further.

Sure, I could get quite a bit more dense with actual compression, but I didn't want to take on that complexity. The packing scheme I use just takes advantage of the fact that most ROMs are 10 bit, and even 16-bit ROMs have large stretches of 10-bit data.