IGNORED

Using a mouse on the TI-99/4A

Omega-TI

I started thinking again... I know, I know, "Uh oh, what's Ω up to now"?

Well it's like this, I've been staring at this Y-cable on the back my TI for a couple of months now, and I remember way back in my old TI day's I had a mouse connected to my RS-232/2 port. I was thinking, why not hook another one up? The problem is, if my feeble old man's memory is accurate, it only worked with one program. So now I'm wondering, has any new stuff come out for mouse support in the last 24 years? If so, where is it? How can I get my hands on it?

Thanks.

I started thinking again... I know, I know, "Uh oh, what's Ω up to now"?

Well it's like this, I've been staring at this Y-cable on the back my TI for a couple of months now, and I remember way back in my old TI day's I had a mouse connected to my RS-232/2 port. I was thinking, why not hook another one up? The problem is, if my feeble old man's memory is accurate, it only worked with one program. So now I'm wondering, has any new stuff come out for mouse support in the last 24 years? If so, where is it? How can I get my hands on it?

Thanks.

I have/had a mechatronic mouse, it was very useful in ti-artist (with the driver) and in extended basic i could convert games to work with it, tweeked a missile command game at one time.. also i wrote mousedesk for it but that never went anywhere interesting..

Mine stopped working a few years back, and I really haven't figured out if it's the mouse itself or the power supply.. it has a built in power supply connected to the joystick plug via a cable.. i pretty much left it plugged in for years and years so I'm thinking that may be the issue ..

I've seen a couple serial mice out there, would be interesting to get one working with my software and ti-artist :) asgard had one at one time..

Greg

V1? V2? the com1 or rs232/9902 model?

Must be the 9902 based nanoPEB.

from Stuart's source code:

*Set port 1 to 1200 Baud, 7 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.

LI R12,BA9902 CRU base address of 9902 in NanoPEB.

SBO 31 Reset 9902. This sets /RTS inactive high, so the

* RTS output line to -ve voltage.

I have a Microsoft Serial Mouse Ball I used to use with drawing program like YAPP (TIM 80 Column card 256 color per pixel) and TI Artist (16 color per pixel).

It worked great, so any Serial mouse would work, just have to adjust the settings slightly.

How come all TI99/4a or Geneve Emulators do not support the Serial Mouse built into the Emulator?

I have a Microsoft Serial Mouse Ball I used to use with drawing program like YAPP (TIM 80 Column card 256 color per pixel) and TI Artist (16 color per pixel).

It worked great, so any Serial mouse would work, just have to adjust the settings slightly.

How come all TI99/4a or Geneve Emulators do not support the Serial Mouse built into the Emulator?

Mess supports the geneve mouse and mechatronic mouse on the 4/a

I don't know about the Geneve, but the TI doesn't have any hardware serial mouse support to emulate. As long as the RS232 card is properly emulated, mouse software would work.

Of course, if you mean remapping the PC mouse to an emulated serial mouse - big task with small reward, not something I am going to do, at least. :)

The Geneve mouse is connected to the v9938 bus; I think it is Atari ST-compatible. For mapping the PC mouse to the emulated Geneve mouse you must add "-mouse" to the command line. (The same is true for the Mechatronics Mouse emulation.)

My serial mouse works with a DSR drive for the Asgard Mouse DSR that you can load for TI Artist or YAPP.

Tweak it slightly and any Microsoft Serial Mouse will work. The Source code is provided with the Asgard Serial Mouse and it should be on the FTP.

A TI Joystick version also works too for YAPP or TI Artist. There are also a few games and other programs that used these.

My serial mouse works with a DSR drive for the Asgard Mouse DSR that you can load for TI Artist or YAPP.

Tweak it slightly and any Microsoft Serial Mouse will work. The Source code is provided with the Asgard Serial Mouse and it should be on the FTP.

A TI Joystick version also works too for YAPP or TI Artist. There are also a few games and other programs that used these.

it's too bad it's not called "serial mouse" or anything useful.. found a mousedsr.zip and mousedp.zip.. any more info?

Greg

I wonder what happened to rocky007's project?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211870-ps2-mouse-on-ti99-;/

A joystick compatible mouse would be much more useful than one requiring a special driver.

You know Rasmus, when it comes to games lately, you've been setting the standard, so whatever format YOU CHOOSE to put into your games, will probably become the 'standard' over night. How's it feel to THE trendsetter? ;)

I wonder what happened to rocky007's project?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211870-ps2-mouse-on-ti99-;/

A joystick compatible mouse would be much more useful than one requiring a special driver.

The project is not dead at all, in fact i'm working actively on it. Today, it's not more a simple PS2 mouse adapter but something a lot more complete.

I'll post some video this week-end about it ;)

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Check out the mouse in this photo. This person actually might be on these forums? I found this on the FTP site. Anyway, I can add another piece of hardware to my want list. Does anyone have any idea how rare this item is? I couldn't find any on eBay.

EDIT:

Arcadeshopper?

GregoryMcGillandhis994a.jpg

Edited by budz2355

Looks like you killed the picture during edit, but that would be Arcadeshopper. There are several different TI mice. Mechatronic made one for their 80-Column card (it connects to it, so you need their card). I have one of these--but they are very hard to find. Asgard made one (along with a Mouse Development Package) which is a bit more common than the Mechatronic Mouse, but still quite rare. It is possible to use almost any of the old serial mice with the software though, so that is less of an impediment than you might think. I also have one of these. Lastly, the Geneve Mouse is probably the most common of all of the TI mice. It is compatible with all of the older bus mice (and it is actually a re-branded ZNIX Turbomouse--I have both and disassembled them at one point to be sure). I used to have an adapter cable that I made to convert the Serial ZNIX Turbomouse to the Bus Mouse pin out (both ZNIX mice used the same board internally, they just connected the pins differently for each mouse type) used by the Geneve. I built about a dozen of them in the early nineties, which are all somewhere in Germany, assuming they still exist.

• Like 1

I have a Z-NIX serial mouse. It's still on an old Pentium-I PC I occasionally have need of firing up. Back in the late 80s, I had the opportunity of stocking up on those when work replaced them with PS/2 mice, but I passed up the opportunity! :_( I may have one other serial mouse somewhere, but the Z-NIX may be the only one. Oh, well.

...lee

The Super Sketch is pretty shaky most of the time. The servos on the bar aren't as discriminating as one would hope when one wants fine motor control. They are OK for random kids pictures, but when you want the precision of a mouse, you need that 100-1000 dpi servo discrimination that you get from a mouse or trackball.